Chelsea 1-1 Southampton

Jase

38 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Have people been blaming Kepa for the goal? I haven't seen video yet, but live I was cursing Saul.

I am trying to give Saul a chance, but he is so average at best. The four CMs ahead of him are way above him.

2 hours ago, Mana said:

This does not mask over a poor performance tonight. That's 2 poor EFL performances on the trot.

Don't care much really, but it's a concern. Shows yet again how poor we are going forward. Also the defence has surprised me, being that shaky in the last 10 minutes.

Agree with your overall points but I'd say it was way more than ten minutes.

2 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

No Jorginho, Werner, Lukaku, Azpi, Rudi... Some of our best takers. Otherwise I would absolutely be optimistic but even Kepa is not unstoppable. 

Jorgi was warming up/stood on the touchline for at least the last ten minutes of normal time. Thought he was bound to come on for the spot kicks. Maybe the flurry of corners killed it because TT didn't want to make a change at a defensive set piece. 

12 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

I am trying to give Saul a chance, but he is so average at best. The four CMs ahead of him are way above him.

Yes, sadly I have to agree. I'd say tonight was a turning point performance. Turning in the wrong direction. What I saw tonight leaves me with no reason to hope he might become a contributor for us. And the lost possession leading to their goal was weak.

7 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Have people been blaming Kepa for the goal? I haven't seen video yet, but live I was cursing Saul.

The shot turned pass went straight through his legs, so naturally you would blame the keeper as well.

Our left side was terrible all game defensively tho... Sarr Alonso Saul and Barkley should never play together in this constellation again.

1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

The shot turned pass went straight through his legs, so naturally you would blame the keeper as well.

Our left side was terrible all game defensively tho... Sarr Alonso Saul and Barkley should never play together in this constellation again.

I've watched the video now and I definitely blame Saul more than Kepa. He was the big favourite to deal with that ball but allowed himself to be brushed aside. Meanwhile it seems to me that Kepa was a bit unlucky but I won't argue the point now. That's not because I don't believe it's arguable. Rather it's because the rest of your comment feels more important at the moment. Albeit in a negative sense, last night made two things clear. Neither Saul nor Sarr can be relied upon. I know La Liga watchers have been posting about Sarr's shortcomings for a while but yesterday I saw at first hand what they have been worried about.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

People are reading too much into this. Its a heavily rotated side and one side of the pitch was basically 4 dregs - Sarr, Alonso, Saul, Barkley who will likely not take the field again till December. Can't believe we held on to 1-1 and won on pens.

12 hours ago, Tomo said:

Got a feeling in the UCL opponents may start to play keepball to prevent the change happening.

Nah, you can always fall on the pitch, pretending having a cramp, and make the play stop 😄

Never mind, we are through and Southampton played well yesterday.
Mount should never be allowed to take a pen again. The Southampton goalkeeper had moved to the left three hours before Mount took the shot and he aimed it straight at him !

2 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

I just watched the post game interview with Kepa. It is great to see him beaming with confidence. We are going to need him to make a run at the league championship.

Was thinking the same, love the lad.

I hope he will perform well early next year then he can move to another team to he Nr1. Juventus is rumoured to be interested in him as Szczesny has been underperforming - today he is on the bench and Perin starts - I think it would be a good fit.