• Kovacic
    • Willian
    • Pedro
    • Hazard
    • Loftus-Cheek (sub)
    • Barkley (sub)
    • Giroud (sub)

3 hours ago, Irakozium257 said:

The way I see it, we are so limited tactically against ''smaller'' teams because of our FBs' inadequacies. The team rarely has them overlapping which makes the attacks predictable, easier to defend and so on. We were so lucky to come out of this game with 3 points, but the win will f**king mask these obvious deficiencies. It makes my boil to think that we have to get stuck with Alonso and Azpi as our first XI FBs. We're goona keep getting limited in attack against these kind of teams who have nothing to lose by getting 10 men behind the ball while defending. Any coach who want to play with 4 defenders will be limited because of these two, be it Sarri, Pep, Klopp or any other genius coach.

Our left back is supposed to be the attacking fullback of the two because 70% of our attacks come through the left side. But the problem is Alonso cant dribble past a man, he cant cross, he cant make overlapping runs because he likes running into the box instead, he's to slow for us the put balls into space for him to catch up to and he's an average passer of the ball. He is absolutely terrible in every aspect of Attacking, the only thing hes good at in attack is shooting and that should be the least important out of a fullbacks ability, even Azpi is a better crosser than him.

I'm tired of the guy, really am. 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

Our left back is supposed to be the attacking fullback of the two because 70% of our attacks come through the right side. But the problem is Alonso cant dribble past a man, he cant cross, he cant make overlapping runs because he likes running into the box instead, he's to slow for us the put balls into space for him to catch up to and he's an average passer of the ball. He is absolutely terrible in every aspect of Attacking, the only thing hes good at in attack is shooting and that should be the least important out of a fullbacks ability, even Azpi is a better crosser than him.

Sure but that did not stop alonso from being involved in many goals and assists before. His passing esp in tight spaces used to be pretty impressive if you care to watch footage from early season or last season.

the issue is that he is in poor form and has been for quite a few games now (with ups and downs but never at the level he was before). Even when I say that managers shouldn’t be that quick to replace starters as fans would want, the fact alonso is pretty much untouchable speaks more about Emerson than alonso himself.

now the recent change to a false nine is not going to help him either, because it moves hazard away from his area and now he has to gel in with Willian who’s even less of a passer than hazard is.

2 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

Our left back is supposed to be the attacking fullback of the two because 70% of our attacks come through the left side. But the problem is Alonso cant dribble past a man, he cant cross, he cant make overlapping runs because he likes running into the box instead, he's to slow for us the put balls into space for him to catch up to and he's an average passer of the ball. He is absolutely terrible in every aspect of Attacking, the only thing hes good at in attack is shooting and that should be the least important out of a fullbacks ability, even Azpi is a better crosser than him.

Considering how attacking our left-back is in this system....would it be the worst idea to play Willian or Pedro there. They might be worse in defensive ability but at least they have the pace. Besides Willian was meant to be a fullback/wingback, he doesn't have the football IQ to play further up the pitch

9 hours ago, Stats said:

You do realise he did not play this game right? :D

This is my problem with Morata. He does not want to play as target man and bring physicality to the side, so he want play as technical striker who run the channel and link up with other. That is fine but Hazard shows that he is much better than Morata playing this role. Plus playing hazard as CF, improve our defense a little bit since Willian and Pedro are better defensively compare to Hazard 

5 hours ago, mccg said:

Chris Hughton names the two Chelsea players that should have been sent off against Brighton

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/fixtures-results/chelsea-hughton-brighton-alonso-luiz-15559858

Probly dosn't mention 4 or 5 yellows should have slapped extra on his players , ffs do me a favour Chris have yourself a good xmas  milkshake with marshmallows  and chill out 

Alonso and Stephen should have got each 3 yellow and 1 red

The ref was just bad. Too card shy

9 hours ago, Pizy said:

As others have said, Alonso was again terrible today. He needs to be dropped for a match or two to send him the message that he's not undroppable and that his standards aren't good enough. His talent going forward isn't even able to make up for his dreadful defending lately. 

Its one thing to get abused by the top teams, but small sides like Wolves and Brighton are targeting him and having plenty of joy.

Let us see Emerson, please! At least if he makes a mistake he's got bags of pace to recover. 

If we play with Hazard up top. Alonso will play 100%. Without him, we only have 2 player that is good in the air. The rest are just too short. Somebody need to defend the near post 

34 minutes ago, communicate said:

Alonso and Stephen should have got each 3 yellow and 1 red

The ref was just bad. Too card shy

That's the BS managers tell the press and they know it!

The players get a feeling during the match as to what type of refereeing they are dealing with. A card happy ref will contain the game and at the same time not letting it flow.

The players will adjust accordingly.

Agreed on your point of alonso (aerial game), and I may add that the premise that pace allows an attacking FB to recover from a mistake is a false one: no way at this level. Either the team provides the cover or it will become an attacking vector to be exploited by all opponents.

On 16/12/2018 at 4:32 PM, Unionjack said:

Theres a load of us on here seeing the same thin but assess it differently!

Majority never means correct. Think back to the Earth is flat society.

We always need an enemy and Alonso is that enemy, forget the goals he's scored and the effort he puts in up and down the wing.

So he's having a poor spell - sure let's all attack him and slag him off, not get behind him.

I see Azpi (literally the most consistent player in our team and gives 100% every game) is also now being slated by a few. Seriously? 

I'm trying not to be a c**t - but maybe this is why you aren't managers in the Premier league.

At the end of the day you guys are entitled to your views and that comment aside, I will respect you as fellow Chelsea fans. I'm a dinosaur and come from an Era where loyalty was a good trait and not to be derided so quickly.

👍

34 minutes ago, Muzchap said:

Majority never means correct. Think back to the Earth is flat society.

We always need an enemy and Alonso is that enemy, forget the goals he's scored and the effort he puts in up and down the wing.

So he's having a poor spell - sure let's all attack him and slag him off, not get behind him.

I see Azpi (literally the most consistent player in our team and gives 100% every game) is also now being slated by a few. Seriously? 

I'm trying not to be a c**t - but maybe this is why you aren't managers in the Premier league.

At the end of the day you guys are entitled to your views and that comment aside, I will respect you as fellow Chelsea fans. I'm a dinosaur and come from an Era where loyalty was a good trait and not to be derided so quickly.

👍

I think of myself as a very loyal supporter I hope. I was one of the only ones who had Willians back over the last couple of years (tho I would like to see the back of him now) But effort doesn'p necessarily mean good neither.

What I've always thought Alonso brought to the table was his offense  He is/was a big help when he went up field. But c'mon you must admit that his work as a defender just doesn't come up to scratch. And being behind Eden who also offers little defense wise doesn't help matters. And take away what he offers us going forward then what is there left? A free kick here n there.

I like the guy, He seems like a good bloke. I don't hate what he does as he CAN do some good work. But that just isn't enough for us at the moment.

As for my comment about us all seeing the same things but with lots of different views - thats what forums are all about and I like that.

Ive had my opinions on something then Ive read, taken it in, digested it and talked about it and my opinion has been changed. I love when that happens. Thats what having an open mind is about. We cant get irritated when someone doesn't have the same opinion as ourself. Just as long as nobody tries to convince me into liking anything about north London!

Everything else is carefree!

40 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

I think of myself as a very loyal supporter I hope. I was one of the only ones who had Willians back over the last couple of years (tho I would like to see the back of him now) But effort doesn'p necessarily mean good neither.

What I've always thought Alonso brought to the table was his offense  He is/was a big help when he went up field. But c'mon you must admit that his work as a defender just doesn't come up to scratch. And being behind Eden who also offers little defense wise doesn't help matters. And take away what he offers us going forward then what is there left? A free kick here n there.

I like the guy, He seems like a good bloke. I don't hate what he does as he CAN do some good work. But that just isn't enough for us at the moment.

As for my comment about us all seeing the same things but with lots of different views - thats what forums are all about and I like that.

Ive had my opinions on something then Ive read, taken it in, digested it and talked about it and my opinion has been changed. I love when that happens. Thats what having an open mind is about. We cant get irritated when someone doesn't have the same opinion as ourself. Just as long as nobody tries to convince me into liking anything about north London!

Everything else is carefree!

Indeed 👍

The thing is - if we are playing decent offensive, possession based football then his abilities won't be exposed so much.

The lack of a striker makes the situation worse IMHO.

Sarri sees these guys every day and I can't believe it's just stubbornness that prevents him from playing others - he must be balancing out lots of variables.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but whilst he's playing - I will support the lad. 👍

34 minutes ago, Muzchap said:

Sarri sees these guys every day and I can't believe it's just stubbornness that prevents him from playing others - he must be balancing out lots of variables.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but whilst he's playing - I will support the lad. 👍

He MIGHT be playing him because of only have Emerson as the only alternative and not have faith in him.

Which is a shame as I'm sure many of us were thinking the same that he looked to be something good last season and was going to be something good!  But seems that he has started to come good now and his potential coming good. Lets hope eh/