• Bakayoko (sub)
    • Pasalic (sub)
    • Emerson (sub)
    • Abraham (sub)
    • Kalas (sub)
    • Aina (sub)
    • Piazon (sub)

6 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I'm reading it's something like a 15-17 hour flight from London to Australia. Fucking hell. Imagine having to make that grueling flight for a silly friendly, and then having to make that same 15-17 hour flight again. Yikes.

Well at least they won't be flying coach

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jason said:

The 25-man squad heading to Australia...

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2018/7/18/25-man-squad-heads-to-perth

Marcin Bulka
Jared Thompson
Bradley Collins
David Luiz
Ethan Ampadu
Fikayo Tomori
Michael Hector
Tomas Kalas
Marcos Alonso
Emerson
Davide Zappacosta
Ola Aina
Cesc Fabregas
Danny Drinkwater
Tiemoue Bakayoko
Ross Barkley
Mario Pasalic
Jorginho
Kasey Palmer
Pedro
Lucas Piazon
Charly Musonda
Callum Hudson-Odoi
Alvaro Morata
Tammy Abraham

Completely forgot about Musonda, wow. His loan spells have set him back hugely but there obviously is talent there. Wonder what is next for him.

3 hours ago, Pizy said:

I'm reading it's something like a 15-17 hour flight from London to Australia. Fucking hell. Imagine having to make that grueling flight for a silly friendly, and then having to make that same 15-17 hour flight again. Yikes.

There's probably a sleep programe set up by the club to minimize the effect of jetlag. I flew to Australia and back last year and it took me just a day to beat jet lag and adapt to the new timezones on both occasions, when i went Central America i didn't even need time. If i can beat it off my own back im sure the club will be able to help the players do likewise.

It's not as awful as people make out.

1 hour ago, bluephoenix said:

I just won't be able to stand it if Chelsea part ways with Zola.... Welcome Zola!

Unless he gets made manager i can't see him leaving until he gets an offer he can't refuse ala Jody Morris. Now he's here there always be a role of him similar to how Eddie Newton and Cudicini have been kept on.

On 7/17/2018 at 2:09 PM, manpe said:

As Sarri said result is not important here. But still would like a W to get the feel-good atmosphere going. Is it just me or does it seem pointless to fly all the way to Australia to play one game and then fly back?

Sometime a L is also needed to find out the problem in the team. 

1 hour ago, WilsonMay said:

Sometime a L is also needed to find out the problem in the team. 

But that wouldn't go so well for a new manager would it?

Fans wouldn't get that the L is lamenting the problems rather it would aggravate them I think?!?!

54 minutes ago, bluephoenix said:

Fans wouldn't get that the L is lamenting the problems rather it would aggravate them I think?!?!

Conte started his tenure with a horrible display and a 2-0 loss to rapid vienna or something two summers ago... no one got on his back and we still went on to win the league with points to spare

9 minutes ago, oldportblue said:

Conte started his tenure with a horrible display and a 2-0 loss to rapid vienna or something two summers ago... no one got on his back and we still went on to win the league with points to spare

Don't forget that debacle, defining 3-0 loss at Arsenal.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Don't forget that debacle, defining 3-0 loss at Arsenal.

true! our season turned around so much after that game that I basically erased this game from my memory (as I do with all painful chelsea losses to rivals lol)

17 hours ago, oldportblue said:

We looked awful at the start of that season. I genuinely thought (and many others did too, including the media) that we were going to end up in another bad situation. I remember the media expecting Conte to be sacked haha. It was a fantastic turnaround. 

18 hours ago, bluephoenix said:

You have to remember we will have no Moses, Kante, Hazard, Batshuayi, Giroud, Azpilicueta, Christensen, Rudiger, so the team will be pretty shallow. If Sarri gives the squad 45 mins each, we can't expect a guaranteed win. However, of course it's great to get off to a good start with a win. 

3 hours ago, It's too big said:

We looked awful at the start of that season. I genuinely thought (and many others did too, including the media) that we were going to end up in another bad situation. I remember the media expecting Conte to be sacked haha. It was a fantastic turnaround. 

I thought the first few games were fine, West Ham, Burnley and Swansea (despite drawing) were probably our best displays for 18 months (although granted not up against much competition). Liverpool and Arsenal were a bit of a reality check but i still felt confident we would flat track bully our way to top four.

Ultimately, the reality was so much better.

15 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I thought the first few games were fine, West Ham, Burnley and Swansea (despite drawing) were probably our best displays for 18 months (although granted not up against much competition). Liverpool and Arsenal were a bit of a reality check but i still felt confident we would flat track bully our way to top four.

Ultimately, the reality was so much better.

Maybe I'm getting confused from Last season, but didn't we play poor vs West Ham and then scored late in the game? Not sure if it was that was last season or Conte's first season, but that game was certainly looking a bit shaky and was a game I thought was the start of our performances stagnating. 

2 minutes ago, It's too big said:

Maybe I'm getting confused from Last season, but didn't we play poor vs West Ham and then scored late in the game? Not sure if it was that was last season or Conte's first season, but that game was certainly looking a bit shaky and was a game I thought was the start of our performances stagnating. 

We played poor vs Watford and won late on, but i feel the West Ham game we were in total control and conceded from the only serious attack West Ham set up.

Like Sarri has said, result not as important as how the players adapt to what hes wanting from them. Should be a good game, even with a weakened squad we should be able to produce some good stuff, guys like Cesc, Morata, Pedro, Alonso, Jorginho, Luiz, Barkley all are potential first 11 players this season so they should be able to elevate the level of the team and help a few of the younger guys. Really hoping to see Ampadu get a shot at DM. As well as Hudson-Odoi on the left or right, who I think will have a more chances this season to play, albeit if its only Europa or cup games but theres something about him that I reckon will impress Sarri.

On 7/19/2018 at 11:59 AM, oldportblue said:

But the team he had was different from the team we do now. Mostly worried about the attack (Morata, Bats, Giroud) as much as I would like to see both Morata and Bats turn into something different from what we have seen... wonder that would happen any time soon( assuming that Sarri knows how to nurture and make them into very good  strikers)