SWP Rejoins Man City

DavidEU

Manchester City can exclusively reveal that Shaun Wright-Phillips has rejoined the Club.The fans’ favourite agreed personal terms after completing a medical this morning and joins on a four-year contract following an undisclosed deal being reached with Chelsea.

Shaun is back at the Club after moving to Stamford Bridge just over three years ago and on his return today he told mcfc.co.uk: "Obviously I'm delighted to come back to City and I just can't wait to started again."

Manager Mark Hughes added of his exciting signing: "I've always admired him and he's certainly been a target of mine since I came to the football club.

"To actually secure the deal and bring Shaun back home is a fantastic coup for us and I'm sure the supporters will be just as excited as we are to have him back at Manchester City."

We'll have more quotes from Wright-Phillips later and it is expected that Shaun will be presented to the media at a press conference at the City of Manchester Stadium tomorrow.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid=...;newsid=6616961

Cheers Shaun. Never moaned, and always gave 100%. Two bloody great goals at West Ham too.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( i'm sad because i love SWP but i thought this would happen anyway

the thing with Shaun is that as much as he tried he just never stepped up to the plate say the way Joe did and forcing a first team place

makes me sad that he spent all that time here albiet learning but to go back now

good luck to him IMO

Two bloody great goals at West Ham too.

:lol: i love those goals - i still remember Ben's commentary on CTV for them :D

Edited by terry26

TOCFCWS Report on the deal:

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0...1377646,00.html

Chelsea Football Club and Manchester City have agreed terms for the transfer of Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Everyone at Chelsea would like to thank Shaun for his contribution to the success of the club in the last three seasons and wish him all the best in his future career.

Man City re-sign Wright-Phillips

_44964315_swpgetty226.jpg Wright-Phillips found opportunities limited at Stamford Bridge Manchester City have completed the signing of their former winger Shaun Wright-Phillips from Chelsea.

England's Wright-Phillips, 26, has signed a four-year contract at the City of Manchester Stadium having rejoined for an undisclosed fee.

He told the club's website: "Obviously I'm delighted to come back to City and I can't wait to get started again."

Manager Mark Hughes added: "I've always admired Shaun and he's been a target of mine since I came to the club."

o.gif 606: DEBATE Not really a top four player but definitely suitable for a club like Man City

Riise 'and' Shine Wright-Phillips left City to join Chelsea for £21m in July 2005, but struggled to hold down a regular place in his three years in London. He made only 43 Premier League starts, scoring four times, as he fell out of England reckoning too.

"To actually secure the deal and bring Shaun back home is a fantastic coup for us," said Hughes.

"I'm sure the supporters will be just as excited as we are to have him back at Manchester City."

In his previous spell at City, Wright-Phillips made 181 appearances and scored 31 times.

Going into the season to defend our first title in fifty years confidence was sky high, I remember watching the news when we signed Shaun Wright-Phillips from Man City for something like £21m. I was delighted, I rated him very highly, watching him dance past full backs at Man City was magic and I hoped for more of the same from him at Chelsea. Unfortunately it was not to be, don't get me wrong, I love the guy, and still do. It's just I was nearly always frustrated with him running into players, or when he did get past someone, the delivery... let's say, wasn't good.

Two performances stick out in my mind, the Carling Cup Semi-Final against Everton last year when he scored a belter in the first half of the game and how he pressured Lescott to head into his own net, despite his height! The second game and possibly his best was at Upton Park a couple of seasons ago where he jinxed past a couple of defenders a rifled a shot into the bottom right hand corner with his left foot, then set up by Bridge later to score a majestic low volley.

With the (hopefully) imminent transfer of Robinho you have to see how much the clubs ambitions have changed since we signed Shaun back then, yes winning trophies was still of course on the agenda, but when you compare the squad then you can see it still had a lot of room for improvement back then, and when you look now it is nearly perfect. Chelsea are moving forwards, it is a shame Shaun is not a part of the Scolari revolution, but it was never to be.

Best of luck to Shaun at Man City!

Come On The Chels!

A piece by me

I'm not upset he has left, because in truth he was a very frustrating player. But as mentioned previously, he always tried and scored a few belters with us as well - ones against Everton, a couple against Tottenham, Levski and that brace at Wet Spam as well. Best of luck to him at Citeh, hope it gets him back in the England team.

Wow

Give Malouda a chance ffs, SWP has had his chance and he didnt take it. I'm sure Malouda could be just like Drogba or Ballack taking a while to get into it.

exactly. he's been in decent form recently, creating and taking chances. You don't get to be a starting winger on the french national team by sucking...