Essien Signs for 5 Years as well

Essien signs new five-year with Chelsea worth £20m to end Mourinho's hopes

Michael Essien has agreed a new £20million five-year contract with Chelsea.

article-0-00EC634100000578-543_306x637.j

New deal: Essien has signed a reported £80,000 a week contract

The Blues have moved quickly to stave off interest from Inter Milan manager Jose Mourinho.

The Ghana midfielder, 25, had signed a five-year contract just 18 months ago but Chelsea did not want to take any chances and reports in The Sun suggest they have offered him a year's extension to 2013 in a deal worth £80,000 a week.

A source close to Essien said: 'Michael is delighted with the new deal. It's true that as soon as Jose Mourinho took over at Inter he made it clear he wanted Michael in Milan. But a new deal had almost already been agreed with Chelsea.'

Essien has been one of Chelsea's most consistent performers after arriving from Lyon three years ago in a £24.4m deal and is central to new boss Phil Scolari's plans.

Essien was always the first name on former Blues chief Mourinho's team-sheet and continued to be one of Chelsea's key players last season after the Portuguese manager's departure.

The dynamic midfielder becomes the latest Chelsea star to pen an improved agreement after full-back Wayne Bridge.

Daily Mail

More good news

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very very very happy about this :D

watched the Chelsea DVD last nite and when they said that Ess was signed as a replacement for the Scouser captain (because he changed his mind) i thought "I'll settle for that REPLACEMENT any day of the week "

Nothing confirmed by CFC yet, although they do like to announce 1 at a time to give the players their individual limelight.

If true it is fantastic news, even though he signed a new contract not long ago the fact that Essien still wants to commit for another 5 years is always good news.

Michael Essien has done more for this club since he arrived in 2005, than Gerrard has done in the same time. Plus, he keeps his private life seperate to his sporting life, which is the sign of a true professional. Absolutely fantastic signing, worth double the amount we paid for him.

Brilliant! :D:D:D

Michael Essien has done more for this club since he arrived in 2005, than Gerrard has done in the same time. Plus, he keeps his private life seperate to his sporting life, which is the sign of a true professional. Absolutely fantastic signing, worth double the amount we paid for him.

45 something million pound?

Edited by .Biru

You never ever hear anything about essien in the media. He just comes does his job and fucks off he is happy with 80 grand a week. When the media linked him with a move, i loved it the way he just came out

and said he wants to stay, straight away.

imagine if by the time Lampard, deco and ballack hang their boots and tejera, stoch and others step up.. we'd have saved so much on transfer fees and without disturbing harmony in the midfield..

Well thats the plan, not sure how easy it will be to execute.

Essien is going to be a more and more of a key figure for us as time goes on, even this season now that Maka has left he is going to have more of an influence over our play. In a 2 behind Deco with Lampard we could see some devestating midfield play this season.

very very very happy about this :D

watched the Chelsea DVD last nite and when they said that Ess was signed as a replacement for the Scouser captain (because he changed his mind) i thought "I'll settle for that REPLACEMENT any day of the week "

I watched that the other night i nearly burst out laughing, Essien or Gerrard?

Essien everday.

Fantastic news good to see we're keeping key players :D

Fantastic news!!!.....He is a Fucking MAchine that runs efficienctly for entire 90 mins.....Now we have Mikel, Essien, Lampard, Ballack Deco in the midfield. 5 players there for 3 midfield positions. Not bad. And with Lampard set to go, Ballack an Deco above 30 Essien is sure to be our Midfield Maestro in 2 years time.