Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Idrissa Gueye

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm all for shaking up conventional approaches in football, so I do want him partnered beside Kante. I'm not sure which other teams in the past decade or so have deployed 2 destroyers side by side as the core of their midfield. Perhaps Leverkusen but they've never built on that foundation properly. As long as there'd still be room for a playmaker besides Hazard, it could be solid. I think it would be imperative though then, to be sure our next forward is a very good passer, with an instinct to slice defences open with through-balls, which isn't unreasonable to ask for. This double-destroyer idea won't work though if we deploy another player up front who doesn't have playmaking at the forefront of their mind, and prefers to receive the ball vs. be the tempo-dictator. (Beckham used to do it from a wide position, as did Figo, so it can be done.)

18 minutes ago, Leif said:

I'm all for shaking up conventional approaches in football, so I do want him partnered beside Kante. I'm not sure which other teams in the past decade or so have deployed 2 destroyers side by side as the core of their midfield. Perhaps Leverkusen but they've never built on that foundation properly. As long as there'd still be room for a playmaker besides Hazard, it could be solid. I think it would be imperative though then, to be sure our next forward is a very good passer, with an instinct to slice defences open with through-balls, which isn't unreasonable to ask for. This double-destroyer idea won't work though if we deploy another player up front who doesn't have playmaking at the forefront of their mind, and prefers to receive the ball vs. be the tempo-dictator. (Beckham used to do it from a wide position, as did Figo, so it can be done.)

Two destroyers would work great if we get James. Because then we will have to make up for James and Hazard...even though Hazard helps a bit with the defensive side every now and then. 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The media seem to love linking us with impossible targets lately. Do they even think things through before posting utter rubbish?

Like, do they really think Everton will sell an essential player with only a few days left in the window? Just like the Vardy rumor.