Final Day

So, at the end of today it’ll all be over, the final day of the season with all its highs and lows. There’ll be sorrows drowned, celebrations slept off in gutters, hearts sung out, tears cried and of course, there’ll be winners and losers. But which one will we be?

It’s certainly been an eventful season for us with plenty of ups and downs. Obviously the biggest down – or so it seemed at the time anyway – was Mourinho’s departure, with probably the majority of us assuming our season was over when it’d barely started. And just when we thought things couldn’t get any worse, they introduced the resident cone man as the man who would ‘take Chelsea forward’. The fact that he didn’t seem capable of stringing a sentence together during the press conference appeared to have been overlooked by Kenyon & co. So, as our new ‘manager’ dribbled his way through the introductions and the opposition laughed themselves stupid at our expense, the only way looked anything but up.

Then we had the injuries, which seem to be custom and practice now from a poorly used squad, plus the ACON to contend with, depleting us even further. Not forgetting some of the performances we’ve had to endure, with the odd loss to Barnsley and Carling Cup final defeat to Spurs thrown in and all in all, everything in the Stamford Bridge garden was definitely not rosy.

And yet, not only have we got ourselves into the first Champions League final in the club’s history but we also find ourselves neck and neck with one of the best Utd sides ever, on the final day of the season. Yes, that’s right, amid all the verbal handbag swinging in the press this week, the fact that there’s a couple of games underlying the tantrums seems to have passed everyone by.

We know Utd have Wigan, because Grant’s chosen to insult them all week, suggesting their prostrate forms could be due to the workings of the ‘old boy network’. Personally if we do see them laying face down for Utd’s visit I think it’ll be more in an attempt to hide the many flaws in the playing surface, but we’ll see.

Anyway, whatever happens in their game happens and all we can do is concentrate on finishing the season as strongly as we can. After talking ourselves up (and Wigan down) in the press all week, how predictable would a draw at home to Bolton be? Fergie’s certainly done his part in making sure Megson’s lot turn up against us as well, which Bolton usually do anyway and rightly so. Megson himself, in sharp contrast to Keegan’s “boring” rant earlier in the week, seems pretty excited at so many things being undecided going into the final day – make no mistake about it, he’d like nothing better than Bolton having a say in the matter and taking all 3 points from their final game.

Team news-wise, Kalou’s been carrying an ankle injury but could feature, which is just as well seeing as Anelka’s ineligible to play against his former club. Carvalho faces a late fitness test having injured his back against Newcastle and Cudicini won’t be taking his usual place on the bench for this one either due to a dodgy hamstring. For Megson, midfield duo O’Brien and Campo should be available again despite missing last weekends win over Sunderland.

I’m in no doubt at all that the pressure going into the final day is all on Utd – they’ve got the advantage, they’ve got the ‘top’ manager, they’ve certainly got the players, and they’re expected to win – all we’re expected to do is turn up and play to give the journalists something to fill their column inches with on Monday morning. How many of them column inches we’ll fill remains to be seen, because as Cech quite rightly pointed out this week “history recognises the winners”. Harsh that in a season which seemed destined to see our downfall and actually saw our resilient determination bypass a ‘pretty’ Arsenal side and drag ourselves into a title race with the ‘best ever’ Utd, we could be regarded as a mere by-product, but that brings us back to the question of whether we’ll be winners or losers at the end of the day. And for me, irrespective of what happens this afternoon, to come out of this particular season with my pride as a Chelsea supporter intact, then there’s only one answer to that question....

KTBFFH

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it all boils down to this day!!!

Slow Start to the League

Jose Mourinho Sacked

Injuries to Drogba, Essien, Sheva, Ballack, Lampard, Terry, Maka, Cech, and the list continues.......

African Nations Cup.

Whats the end Result?

Chelsea is still in the RACE on the last day of the season against the so called "Best Ever Manchester united Team"......If it wasnt for that Draw at home against Wigan, We would have had the title.

Also, we have finally made it to the finals of the UCL.

Resilience = Chelsea Football Club!!!

RESPECT!!!

What makes me smile is that two or three months ago, nobody could have seen this happening. We have proved everybody wrong to get where we are now, now that we are here, let's see how Man United cope under the spotlight.

we've done brilliant to get to this stage of the season,im not a religous person but i pray to god that man you drop points and we hammer bolton COME ON Chelsea

So it all boils down to this day!!!

Slow Start to the League

Jose Mourinho Sacked

Injuries to Drogba, Essien, Sheva, Ballack, Lampard, Terry, Maka, Cech, and the list continues.......

African Nations Cup.

Whats the end Result?

Chelsea is still in the RACE on the last day of the season against the so called "Best Ever Manchester united Team"......If it wasnt for that Draw at home against Wigan, We would have had the title.

Also, we have finally made it to the finals of the UCL.

Resilience = Chelsea Football Club!!!

RESPECT!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: cannot explain the season better myself ;)

Spose it wasnt really about the final day where the title was won. The Chelsea 1-1 Wigan (Heskey last min) and then Blackburn 1-1 Man Utd (Tevez last min) told us that this werent gonna be our season. From that moment, we all kinda knew really. Best thing is, like last season we have a chance for the last laugh. This one however is much much bigger.

Well all are talking about the blackburn and the Wigan game now that we are second. But ever thought how Fergie would have gone on to play against us at the Bridge had we been leading them? The tactics would have changed, the formation would have changed and may be we would have had a draw which means we would still be equal on points with lesses GD.

I don't believe that. I think we can beat Man utd regardless what team they put out. So your saying we have no chance in 9 days of beating them because they will be playing to win and they are better than us? We've only lost to them something like 3 or 4 in 13. Why do some ppl think man utd are so fantastic?

I don't believe that. I think we can beat Man utd regardless what team they put out. So your saying we have no chance in 9 days of beating them because they will be playing to win and they are better than us? We've only lost to them something like 3 or 4 in 13. Why do some ppl think man utd are so fantastic?

No way in hell am I ever gonna say we dont stand a chance against them. All I said was, You never know how the game against Manchester would have panned out had we won our game against Wigan.

Having watched us when ''we were shit''. This season could be deemed a supreme success. But given the resources, and that we can still end up the with the same amount of trophies as Arsenal it could also be regarded as a dismal failure.

I wouldnt say our board is as greedy and incompetent as Birmingham, but it's not far off. A season of missed opportunities up to now, not down to the team, but due to a tactical void, -open mouthed head scratching, when contingencies and Plan B's were callled for.

Having watched us when ''we were shit''. This season could be deemed a supreme success. But given the resources, and that we can still end up the with the same amount of trophies as Arsenal it could also be regarded as a dismal failure.

I wouldnt say our board is as greedy and incompetent as Birmingham, but it's not far off. A season of missed opportunities up to now, not down to the team, but due to a tactical void, -open mouthed head scratching, when contingencies and Plan B's were callled for.

You're far more elegant at explaining these things than my 6 page rants, but yeah I agree hugely missed opportunity this season to really clean up considering how weak all of the domestic competitions have been.

I think people use the whole 'we had some good cup runs' in the wrong context. I mean to say that getting to the Carling cup final and the FA cup quarter finals is indicative of a good season doesn't really make sense to me. I think it would be true for a team outside the top four but in all honesty unless we win the CC and the FA cup they are more of a hinderence. We don't need the money that a good cup run generates (excluding the champions league of course), a good cup run doesn't improve our standing in World football (again excluding the champions league), so unless we win them getting to the final and the quarter final is pretty pointless for any team in the top four.

Good point C the C, complete waste of energy if theres no final gameplan and no end result. Like blagging a girl all night just to get the knockback. Thanks for the compliment -never been called elegant before ! Your so called 'rants' are spot on btw.

Good point C the C, complete waste of energy if theres no final gameplan and no end result. Like blagging a girl all night just to get the knockback. Thanks for the compliment -never been called elegant before ! Your so called 'rants' are spot on btw.

You obviously havn't seen the stick I've been getting about saying Essien could leave this summer! But thank you.

I completely agree that the Carling Cup and the FA Cup were massive massive missed oppertunities - Big time. At the same time though i think that our final league position and being in the Champions League final is a massive over achievment for the season considering everything that has happened this season. So to a certain extent i completely agree.........

I don't want to see Avram Grant as manager next season as much as anyone, although as i have said considering the way we have finished i could certainly see them giving him more time. But what i would hate for us to become is totally reliant on trophies, and if we don't win one chucking our toys out the pram. There are 4 massive clubs in the premier league all capable of winning the trophies each season, not to mention the half dozen capable in the Champions League. No matter how good we are, we WILL have seasons of not winning anything and it won't be the end of the world. I have seen and spoken to a lot of fans who are Belittling what we have done this season for the sake of slagging off Avram Grant....

Yes Avram Grant isn't good enough to manage us, yes he should never have the job in the first place and only got it because he is mates with the owner! But lets not deny that overall considering everything we have had a good season and lets remember that no club has a god given right to win things every season and lets slag Avram Grant off for what he should be slagged off for

We've been fortunate to be in positions this season where silverware has just been in reach. given the resources at the clubs disposal, some should be in the cabinet. I maintain the grip on those has slipped because of lack of tactical awareness, and unqualified bufoonery.

A competent coach wouldnt have let those slip, -it's no coincidence that ManUtd have won the PL ten times with Ferguson there. With the break up of the squad -whenever it happens - new additions need an inspiring leader off the pitch, as well as the JTs and Lampards on it. There is no shining light off the field, unless all the players are obsessive Simpsons fans.

Elegant?! :lol: Fucking hell! Elegant, FB's about as "elegant" as a badgers arse :lol: . Tell you what mate, this can only mean one of three things:

A. He wants to tap you up for a loan

B. He wants to borrow your motor

C. He wants to give you a portion

"C'mon the Chels" your points have been absolutely spot on mate, spot on................Then you went tits up over FB's persona :lol: