Tiredness or tactics..

Madinmex

I've noticed the "fizz" has disappered from one or two of our flair players just recently. Hazard looks a fraction of the player he was a while back, Oscar (OK i believe he is injured) has also dropped of the radar. Willian has a RR engine but last night was wasteful in his passing or knocked of the ball with ease. The second half was,with a few exceptions, defending. Now I never thought Gala was going to be easy and they improved very much in the second half, but really by then should have have put the game to bed. I feel sure that had EH and Willian been up to there high standards the score may well have been different. Depends on how we view our priorities, maybe one or two of the flair players should be rested.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the tactics are that we concede possession, press the opponents hard all over the pitch and then counter-attack at the speed of light. Of course the players will be tired, you can't do that for a whole season.. We had 42% of the ball last night. Maybe if we tried to keep it a bit more they wouldn't be exhausted. But we can't counter-attack by keeping the ball so Mourinho won't change a thing.

The big picture is if you look at us game by game is the basics let us down. Last night I lost count how many stray passes went either straight to their team or mis-control by one of our own. This isn't a one match thing but happens every game and far too often. Our decision making on the counter is hideous at times. We break, then all of a sudden Hazard will have a man either side of two defenders and either he, or (Insert Name) will over hit it or take the wrong pass to the wrong player.

Take Madrid last night and watch the highlights back. The ball is fizzed into feet not matter what the speed and it's killed instantly and the pass made. Our tenancy a lot of the time is a poor first touch which is then required another touch, by this time the chance of release has gone. Ronaldo's goal last night where he did four million step-overs, watch it again. The ball is fired at him on the run, he takes it into his path with a simple touch off his toe end and doesn't touch it again until he shifts it past the defender to set for a shot....sublime.

The big picture is if you look at us game by game is the basics let us down. Last night I lost count how many stray passes went either straight to their team or mis-control by one of our own. This isn't a one match thing but happens every game and far too often. Our decision making on the counter is hideous at times. We break, then all of a sudden Hazard will have a man either side of two defenders and either he, or (Insert Name) will over hit it or take the wrong pass to the wrong player.

Take Madrid last night and watch the highlights back. The ball is fizzed into feet not matter what the speed and it's killed instantly and the pass made. Our tenancy a lot of the time is a poor first touch which is then required another touch, by this time the chance of release has gone. Ronaldo's goal last night where he did four million step-overs, watch it again. The ball is fired at him on the run, he takes it into his path with a simple touch off his toe end and doesn't touch it again until he shifts it past the defender to set for a shot....sublime.

Exactly. We pass the ball to willian, people run forward instead of passing quickly and going for the return, he holds onto it and tries to beat 2 players...

Torres is through on goal, chased by a defender, refuses to lay a simple pass for schurrle to score a tap in and he shoots from a tight angle.

Against everton, ivanovic lays a perfect cross to schurrle, he has time to trap but decides to volley it and misses ruining the chance, ramires gets into dangerous position and goes for a solo instead of squaring to a free player for a shot. Just poor decision making all over our team, and terrible finishing.

Comparing individually to madrid is like heaven and earth

Exactly. We pass the ball to willian, people run forward instead of passing quickly and going for the return, he holds onto it and tries to beat 2 players...

Torres is through on goal, chased by a defender, refuses to lay a simple pass for schurrle to score a tap in and he shoots from a tight angle.

Against everton, ivanovic lays a perfect cross to schurrle, he has time to trap but decides to volley it and misses ruining the chance, ramires gets into dangerous position and goes for a solo instead of squaring to a free player for a shot. Just poor decision making all over our team, and terrible finishing.

Comparing individually to madrid is like heaven and earth

I was just using Madrid as an example of that first touch, of course we aren't on par with them but it was an example of quality and execution can kill teams with a few less touches and a killer pass. All this helps if you have very clinical finishers but the point still remains, our quality has to be 100% better.

I was just using Madrid as an example of that first touch, of course we aren't on par with them but it was an example of quality and execution can kill teams with a few less touches and a killer pass. All this helps if you have very clinical finishers but the point still remains, our quality has to be 100% better.

Yes our quality has to be better I was supporting what you said that's why I gave examples of our poor quality in the final moments of attack.

Ronaldo needs two touches to get the ball down and shoot, hazard needs 3, the rest of our team needs 5.

It looks like a small difference but one less touch can lead to a goal.

we simply overrate our players, we don't have any world class players, or even players at their prime (with a few exceptions)

but somehow we're top of the league, and with a very good chance to go to the next round in the CL, mainly due to our world class manager

stuff of champions? i hope so

Tiredness certainly could well be a factor in our drop of performance level recently but only to a certain extent and not buying into how some have completely blown it out of proportion, using it as a main excuse for the average performances especially when we have had quite a fair bit of breaks in between matches since January. That being said, another way of examining this tiredness factor is our lack of goals in the last few matches. In the last 8 matches, we have scored 6 in those but in 5 of them, we only scored 1 goal in each and in the other 2 games, we failed to score at all. We create chances but we don't convert enough of them and because of this, we are having to exert even more energy than we would like either through vigorous defending or charging forward to get the second goal and kill teams off. And it's probably not a surprise that we have only won 4 of the last 8, drawing 3 and losing 1

Yup, problem is we have some great technical players but to play in that manner you want everyone to possess at least decent enough technical ability to do the basics. Players like Ivan, Cole, Cahill, Ramires, Mikel, Lamps, always need a lot of time before they are able to make decisions. So even if Hazard and Willian play a quick 1-2 and Hazard passes it to Ramires the move breaks down. Like you said, doesn't happen with Madrid, or even teams like Liverpool, Arsenal, City etc. Even if man by man some of these teams may not be as good as ours but they field a squad of 11 where majority can play quick 1 touch passing and have a decent enough first touch. In that sense, our counter-attacking approach isn't that bad because we just don't have the squad to control possession and create chances by quick 1 touch passing.

It'll take some time and some new players but we can get there. Matic is a good start. Luke Shaw would be a good addition also cause then we'd have two good full backs with the ball. Add one more midfielder and obviously a technical striker and we're good to go imo.

And I know Giroud gets a lot of hate in the media but I think he'd be great for our attacking mids because he links up so well with the Arsenal attackers, his 1-2 are exceptional. Doesn't score a lot of goals, but neither do any of ours who he'd be replacing. Not sure Arsenal would get rid of him, but I wouldn't mind him as second choice here.

It'll take some time and some new players but we can get there. Matic is a good start. Luke Shaw would be a good addition also cause then we'd have two good full backs with the ball. Add one more midfielder and obviously a technical striker and we're good to go imo.

Cech/Courtois

Azpi Terry Cahill Shaw

Matic Luiz/van Ginkel

Willan Oscar Hazard

Striker

...On paper at least that looks good to go indeed! It's only 2 signings as well assuming Luiz plays in the midfield.

Yup, problem is we have some great technical players but to play in that manner you want everyone to possess at least decent enough technical ability to do the basics. Players like Ivan, Cole, Cahill, Ramires, Mikel, Lamps, always need a lot of time before they are able to make decisions. So even if Hazard and Willian play a quick 1-2 and Hazard passes it to Ramires the move breaks down. Like you said, doesn't happen with Madrid, or even teams like Liverpool, Arsenal, City etc. Even if man by man some of these teams may not be as good as ours but they field a squad of 11 where majority can play quick 1 touch passing and have a decent enough first touch. In that sense, our counter-attacking approach isn't that bad because we just don't have the squad to control possession and create chances by quick 1 touch passing.

And I know Giroud gets a lot of hate in the media but I think he'd be great for our attacking mids because he links up so well with the Arsenal attackers, his 1-2 are exceptional. Doesn't score a lot of goals, but neither do any of ours who he'd be replacing. Not sure Arsenal would get rid of him, but I wouldn't mind him as second choice here.

The middle paragraph I agree with massively and exactly what we need. Shaw, Kroos and Costa/Cavani. I'm not saying this can happen this summer but the purchases are crucial. After Matic was bought I have every faith Jose will get the right players and the right balance.