Nemanja Matic

.Cee

On 7/21/2016 at 8:55 AM, Blue Armour said:

Heh...why should we sell anything to Juventus. Its not like they've been generous towards us with their players. 

True that. Put a £50m price tag on Matic and, if they are willing to pay, change your mind and ask for 75 :D 

12 hours ago, Robguima said:

Imo little to do with athleticism.

matic is a big fella with a lot of power while kante is short and lightweight.

matic has a lot more chance to come out with the football in a dispute with yaya in tight spaces for example.

btw in highly contested finals/decisive games - in all team sports actually - power > pace.

different players that should complement each other really well.

By dynamic I don't mean faster per se. Kante has a much bigger engine than Matic and I don't think Matic is as good as a tackler as Kante is. Kante is a technical tackler, he tackles the ball in a smart way without real use of brawn - he's shown last season that he can get the ball off bigger players without using power. Even so, for how short he is he has incredible balance so if you think you can boulder him over you're in for a surprise. He's strong for his size and more of an athlete than Matic. 

Kante might be short but he is not a light weight. Think of how Makelele used to boss the area in front of the defence with some great tackles via great anticipation. Now think that and add someone buzzing all over the pitch doing it - winning the ball in the final third, winning it in midfield, winning it in the first third... That's Kante.

I can guarantee you that Kante will be more important for us in bigger games than Matic as well. I don't really view Matic as a powerful midfielder tbh. He's big, but not powerful. Like I said, Matic reminds me a bit of Schweinsteiger in his prime (if you put him in the B2B role that is), and I wouldn't call Bastian a powerful midfielder either. 

4 hours ago, Cosmin said:

True that. Put a £50m price tag on Matic and, if they are willing to pay, change your mind and ask for 75 :D 

Yeah that how it should be done with Juventus since they don't want to do business with us. 

The only reason to sell is if the players expresses to leave. Then we got no choice. 

10 hours ago, The Skipper said:

By dynamic I don't mean faster per se. Kante has a much bigger engine than Matic and I don't think Matic is as good as a tackler as Kante is. Kante is a technical tackler, he tackles the ball in a smart way without real use of brawn - he's shown last season that he can get the ball off bigger players without using power. Even so, for how short he is he has incredible balance so if you think you can boulder him over you're in for a surprise. He's strong for his size and more of an athlete than Matic. 

Kante might be short but he is not a light weight. Think of how Makelele used to boss the area in front of the defence with some great tackles via great anticipation. Now think that and add someone buzzing all over the pitch doing it - winning the ball in the final third, winning it in midfield, winning it in the first third... That's Kante.

I can guarantee you that Kante will be more important for us in bigger games than Matic as well. I don't really view Matic as a powerful midfielder tbh. He's big, but not powerful. Like I said, Matic reminds me a bit of Schweinsteiger in his prime (if you put him in the B2B role that is), and I wouldn't call Bastian a powerful midfielder either. 

I don't disagree with your assessment of Kante's virtues. However, he is short and he will lose on the aerial duels and power, however an athlete he may be. Mass has little to do with athleticism: it's physics. We are talking about a 6'4" vs a 5'7"... a potential 20lb make it 30lb weight difference (matic is not skinny either). Sometimes the game won't allow Kante to get there first....

So, I do disagree concerning tight spaces and decisive games: I've seen yaya destroy our players too many times to not understand how power works in tight spaces. Until David Luiz was put in midfield and then Matic and Luiz together, we got overrun over and over again. 

Also, your general opinion of matic does not match the data: according to most here he's neither skilful, pacey, nor athletic. So, how on earth did he manage all those MotM for us? :)
Reckon you are using, like many here do, last season too much when remembering what he does and did. Some players are forgiven for last season, others aren't.

I have no problem with matic leaving if we get a proper replacement for him. Otherwise we will end up 10th again (give or take a few positions).

I wouldn't give Juve Jack shit. Sod em!.

They loan Square for a season then want him for another season with a option to buy. Wassup dont they know him well enough yet?

They wont listen to any offer that we make for players yet now they want to sell the most expensive player in their team, without having another player in place and expect us to kiss their arses and say thank you for buyig him!!

So I reckon we tell everyone to bollox. We got a polayer here that both Mou and Juve are wanting, tho hes a much cheaper version - at his best he is the dogs dangleys. I tell ya if Matic is on form with N'golo and Cescy we got a fuckin amazing central midfield.

Now if Juve want to play fair and do some swaps then the risk might be worth a gamble. If not then tell them to do one.

2 hours ago, Unionjack said:

I wouldn't give Juve Jack shit. Sod em!.

They loan Square for a season then want him for another season with a option to buy. Wassup dont they know him well enough yet?

They wont listen to any offer that we make for players yet now they want to sell the most expensive player in their team, without having another player in place and expect us to kiss their arses and say thank you for buyig him!!

So I reckon we tell everyone to bollox. We got a polayer here that both Mou and Juve are wanting, tho hes a much cheaper version - at his best he is the dogs dangleys. I tell ya if Matic is on form with N'golo and Cescy we got a fuckin amazing central midfield.

Now if Juve want to play fair and do some swaps then the risk might be worth a gamble. If not then tell them to do one.

I love that you call him Square :lol:. But yeah I agree with you. These clubs that refuse to negotiate with us for their players should know that two can play that game.

Antonio Conte tells Juventus Nemanja Matic is not for sale and says Chelsea star is 'very important in my idea of football'

Matic & Kante should be our starting midfield pairing for the big games against the top teams. Conte and a couple of our players have confirmed that we'll be playing with 2 in the middle (which I'm not a fan of, personally) and you simply cannot play Cesc in a 2 man midfield anymore. It would be like an anchor around Kante's neck doing the work of 2 players.

4-2-4 with Kante and Matic primarily. Maybe bring Cesc in and sacrifice the second striker against parked buses and against weaker opposition.

On 7/21/2016 at 4:58 PM, Robguima said:

Imo little to do with athleticism.

matic is a big fella with a lot of power while kante is short and lightweight.

matic has a lot more chance to come out with the football in a dispute with yaya in tight spaces for example.

btw in highly contested finals/decisive games - in all team sports actually - power > pace.

different players that should complement each other really well.

Kante plays A LOT bigger than his actual size. He has a fearlessness about him that many people in that role don't possess

8 hours ago, Pizy said:

Matic & Kante should be our starting midfield pairing for the big games against the top teams. Conte and a couple of our players have confirmed that we'll be playing with 2 in the middle (which I'm not a fan of, personally) and you simply cannot play Cesc in a 2 man midfield anymore. It would be like an anchor around Kante's neck doing the work of 2 players.

4-2-4 with Kante and Matic primarily. Maybe bring Cesc in and sacrifice the second striker against parked buses and against weaker opposition.

I think you can play Cesc next to Kante, its pretty much the exact reason why we want to acquire him. Kante covers so much ground and offers nothing in the attack, what I envision is Cesc having a roaming role and the ability to go anywhere on the pitch with Kante and our back 4 restricted to pressing high to win the ball back with the occasional situation where one of our fullbacks look for overlapping opportunities. Remember we want to be a possession based team and in order to do that we need someone dictating the play from the middle. None of Matic, Mikel, Kante, Chalobah or even Oscar can effectively achieve this(Although there was a marked improvement from game 1 to game 2 when we went from Matic and Mikel to Matic and Oscar. 

Cesc will have to work harder but he can function in a midfield two. 

6 hours ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

I think you can play Cesc next to Kante, its pretty much the exact reason why we want to acquire him. Kante covers so much ground and offers nothing in the attack, what I envision is Cesc having a roaming role and the ability to go anywhere on the pitch with Kante and our back 4 restricted to pressing high to win the ball back with the occasional situation where one of our fullbacks look for overlapping opportunities. Remember we want to be a possession based team and in order to do that we need someone dictating the play from the middle. None of Matic, Mikel, Kante, Chalobah or even Oscar can effectively achieve this(Although there was a marked improvement from game 1 to game 2 when we went from Matic and Mikel to Matic and Oscar. 

Cesc will have to work harder but he can function in a midfield two. 

If we're playing with 2 strikers we'd be giving up numbers in midfield against many teams from the get go. When out of possision we'd be at a significant disadvantage defensively with Cesc in the middle of the pitch. Asking Kante to run himself into the ground trying to cover his area plus pick up the slack for Cesc is risky.

Such a selection headache! Conte has talked up Matic so much that I kind of feel he's nailed on to start and obviously Kante will. At the same time it also seems clear that we'll play with 2 up top. If that's the case I can't see any place in the starting XI for Cesc.

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

If we're playing with 2 strikers we'd be giving up numbers in midfield against many teams from the get go. When out of possision we'd be at a significant disadvantage defensively with Cesc in the middle of the pitch. Asking Kante to run himself into the ground trying to cover his area plus pick up the slack for Cesc is risky.

Such a selection headache! Conte has talked up Matic so much that I kind of feel he's nailed on to start and obviously Kante will. At the same time it also seems clear that we'll play with 2 up top. If that's the case I can't see any place in the starting XI for Cesc.

Hopefully the following season we have the personnel to play a proper 3 at the back.Zouma Christensen(Koulibaly/Stones) and push another body in midfield

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

I guess we'll have to see. In the two games played under this new system we tried to different tactical deployments the first was a pivot with Matic and Mikel(they we dog tired)that looked awful. The second was with one dedicated anchor(matic) and a metronome(Oscar) it worked extremely well. 

Cesc is too important to the team not to play I would be shocked if Conte goes against what he's been preaching and leave a guy like Cesc on the bench. If you think 4-2-4 doesn't suit Cesc well it didn't really suit Pirlo and Vidal so he changed it. He's been banging on about finding a system that works for the players he has, not adapting his players to fit into his system. Its been his hallmark for years now.

I believe we will ultimately have two functioning systems. One in which Cesc is in the team and playing as the main cog and the other where we have more legs in the midfield and utilize Matic, Cesc and Kante.