The History Thread

BlueLion.

Well, we have a fair few "historians" - both professional and recreational - here on TalkChelsea, so I thought it would be prudent to have a topic where he can focus historical discussion on both present-day issues and anything we can say has been consigned to the looming void of the past, where we can attempt to recreate and manipulate historical facts into some sort of representative image of what may have occurred at any one time in a specific place.

It would therefore be poignant to begin an historical debate with the confounding question of what is history?

Can we, as historians, take great joy in the popular misrepresentations and misconceptions of the past, made every day by the misinformed, and particularly in correcting those assertions? Or do we, as pretenders ourselves, acknowledge the view that history is history, and that we can only guess at the past itself? Are we truly able to understand and recreate what the motives of the Christian Crusaders were, in 1095-6? Similarly, can we sympathise with the German populace, who were swept into a nebula of popular nationalism-cum-fascism in the 1930s? Can we honestly claim to say we can accurately portray Roman civilisation, and at the same time compare it with the barbarian hordes that sacked the Empire, who then founded the European motherland as we know it today?

What are your thoughts - what is HISTORY?!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

History is useful .... if you learn from it... If you don't it is your fault as the subject is both interesting and a warning.

Absolutely. There are many clichéd quotes that have been derived from George Santayana. My favourites:

Absolutely. There are many clichéd quotes that have been derived from George Santayana. My favourites:

I will write more about my love for History later when I have time to do the subject justice.

Awesome topic!

I love to debate this topic

Finkelstein, Goldhagen , Hannah Arendt or one of my favorites Hillberg ... On the holocaust

Barbara Tuchmann - 14 th century

Historical source studies - eg. The historical Jezus

..... God. I love this :-)

In history they always tell a slightly different story as in the standards of people, or do TV shows tend to over do it?

Where people really so incredibly brutal back then? I believe they where mind. Standards are a lot higher nowadays, killing someone back then was almost nothing, like a natural day of life. Well I probably have to be a bit more specific here, but lets go back 1000 thousand odd years.

EDIT:

By the way for the historians here, are there any stories which are quite similar to Hotel Rwanda or Schindlers list in the past? Like besides those two, any stories where a city or settlement where enslaved for a long time, something along those lines. It's for a project.

In history they always tell a slightly different story as in the standards of people, or do TV shows tend to over do it?

Where people really so incredibly brutal back then? I believe they where mind. Standards are a lot higher nowadays, killing someone back then was almost nothing, like a natural day of life. Well I probably have to be a bit more specific here, but lets go back 1000 thousand odd years.

EDIT:

By the way for the historians here, are there any stories which are quite similar to Hotel Rwanda or Schindlers list in the past? Like besides those two, any stories where a city or settlement where enslaved for a long time, something along those lines. It's for a project.

Is where the new were? :ph34r:

History was written by the victors...

Its what fascinates me about the past, especially the classical era (Roman and before). We'll never know the full truth...Like the purpose of the great pyramids, the true birthplace and date of birth of civilzation etc...

And people wonder why I never be serious on this forum sometimes.

Just re-read your post dude, I bet you will understand!

Anyways, to answer the topic: I love history, but I still havent fully figures out what parts of it I believe and what parts I dont. Maybe that will come with time...

Just re-read your post dude, I bet you will understand!

Anyways, to answer the topic: I love history, but I still havent fully figures out what parts of it I believe and what parts I dont. Maybe that will come with time...

Wow well isn't that just fucking dandy

Thank you for fucking up the topic on it's very first page, congratulations.