Buybacks clause

I been wondering for quite a while, why our club or to be fair any clubs in the Premier League don't use this agreement?

I don't see it being used as often as real madrid does.

They recently activated dani carvajal buyback clause from leverkusen to sign him back.

It was a very wise and smart decision as they get back a great player.

Chelsea is now starting to buy a lot of promising young talents, but because of the squad we got and goals some of them might leave before getting a proper chance.

A buyback clause will help us do smart decision for future deals in case some player comes good.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What player would you buy back? The only stand out one for me is Matic, but we wouldn't of been able to include a buy back deal as it was a player swap and wouldn't hindered the deal.

If promising talent leaves the club it's because they don't want to play for us. What's the point in trying to sign them back?

What clubs would want to buy a player to have them have to sell him back whenever we wanted. Would have to be a high clause or a great player. And as WHS said i don't its as easy as that. Once Players leave they may not want to come back.

I been wondering for quite a while, why our club or to be fair any clubs in the Premier League don't use this agreement?

Ironically,

Bruma completes PSV move

The defender has joined the Eredivisie giants on a four-year deal, although Chelsea retain a buy-back option in his contract

If promising talent leaves the club it's because they don't want to play for us. What's the point in trying to sign them back?

Not necessarily. A talented youth player might leave because they aren't good enough yet to break through to the first team which may hinder their progress. They might still have aspirations to play for Chelsea in the future, and a buy back clause allows that.

What player would you buy back? The only stand out one for me is Matic, but we wouldn't of been able to include a buy back deal as it was a player swap and wouldn't hindered the deal.

It's worth putting such an option. Circumstances change.

I don't think buy back clauses should be allowed. An academy produces a player, the club don't think he is or will be good enough, therefore the club sells him. If he does become good enough or better than they thought then its their mistake. Its unfair to the club that bought the player and gave him a chance. If you want him now (after hes developed) then pay what hes worth now, not what you thought he would be worth back then.

Okay I'm lost now, point is - buy back clauses are for pussies. :P

I did mention Matic in my original post. He was part of a player swap. It would've deterred Benfica from the potential deal, therefore wasn't feasible. Next player? No? None? Oh...

Why would it deter Benfica? We added Matic to shave 2m off the Luiz deal and a potential 6-8m profit for them in 18 months maybe would have seemed great to them at the time.