Chelsea Playstyle

Just finished reading a very good article about our team

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/tacticsandanalysis/id/1300?cc=4716

I may not agree with all of his opinion but I have to say it is obvious that we really lack something in our game

Whenever I watched our team this season, most of the time I am not so sure what is our game plan (other than get the ball to mata and hopefully he can make something happen). We are not really a counter attacking side nor we are a possession based, I always feel like this season we have plenty of good players but to have a really great team you need to have a good system so the team can actually looks better than the sum of the individual.

I just hope our next manager (whoever he will be) will be given time to instill his system.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% agree with the article, everything was spot on.

We do indeed need an identity as a world class team. We need a manager that can fix this.

Its also fucking hell difficult. Every company wants this where I come, but few succeed. All forget the condtions to make it work though. So do we!

We do indeed need an identity as a world class team. We need a manager that can fix this.

Its also fucking hell difficult. Every company wants this where I come, but few succeed. All forget the condtions to make it work though. So do we!

I believe that is the psychological reason why most of us want Mourinho back - he was the only one during the Roman era who created his own identity. You could argue that Carlo did it too, but I don't think so, at least not to such an extent, his next season was a disaster, which shows he didn't have much control. Anyway, I think people want him back because we expect him to bring balance and a playing style to us. There is nothing wrong with many other managers, but we as fans have come not to trust anybody else, simply because everybody else has basically failed to bring what he brought.

Also, in my opinion there are only two managers in the world, who can feel somewhat safe from getting sacked in the first 3 months - Guardiola and Mourinho.

I believe that is the psychological reason why most of us want Mourinho back - he was the only one during the Roman era who created his own identity. You could argue that Carlo did it too, but I don't think so, at least not to such an extent, his next season was a disaster, which shows he didn't have much control. Anyway, I think people want him back because we expect him to bring balance and a playing style to us. There is nothing wrong with many other managers, but we as fans have come not to trust anybody else, simply because everybody else has basically failed to bring what he brought.

Also, in my opinion there are only two managers in the world, who can feel somewhat safe from getting sacked in the first 3 months - Guardiola and Mourinho.

Exactly. We do not need much extra players. The loanees + 2 targeted transfers make us CL material. It is identity we lack! Barca has it, Real has it, even manure has it after Fergie. Mazacar is a trio dying for a manager with good vision.

Dead on. BUT some people seem to think IDENTITY=STABILITY. This is not the case; often the two go hand in hand but they are not mutuallly inclusive. Chelsea are neither at the moment, but if I were to choose one I'm not sure which. It's nice for a club to have an identity, Spurs for instance have always been a couter-attack team but they haven't really found stability till the last few years. Arsenal have stability but lately their identity as a beautiful/attacking/bullshit club has been faltering. Wenger usually looks for players like Pires, Ljungberg, Bergkamp, Henry; players with impecable technique and vision but lately he has been buying players like Giroud, Gervinho, Podolski; powerful, direct players that use their physicality or strength (lol) to win games.

Just food for thought.

He's spot on when he says

"Chelsea didn't have a clear strategy. They half-heartedly counter-attacked, with Ramires wasting their main opportunity on the break when he slipped over after great work from Juan Mata. They didn't defend with any certainty, particularly down the flanks. And they didn't keep the ball, killing the game, as a good possession-based side would. They did nothing. Villas-Boas had a point - what is Chelsea's style? "

The next coach will have the big task of building a footballing philosophy here

First of all this Zonal Marking guy isn't some sort of tactical guru. He's just some guy watching games at home sat on his couch. He doesn't have any more insight than anybody else. I wanted to stop reading at this point:

Benitez instructed his players to sit deep in two banks of four, with Oscar and Eden Hazard in defensive roles inside Chelsea's own third. Neither looked entirely comfortable...

Oscar was extremely comfortable and was one of, if not the, best performer on the pitch that night. This cliché that he isn't comfortable in a defensive capacity is laughable and even more-so coming from a supposed tactical analyst.

Anyway our problem is the central midfield. Look at the two players we had in midfield on Wednesday night. Luiz had a passing accuracy of 71% and Ramires was even worse at 64%. That is a lot of possession wasted. That isn't even good enough at League 2 level.

A guy like Mata is never going to cut it in a counter attacking team. He doesn't have the legs for that sort of game. We need to become better on the ball and that means completely revamping the midfield. You look at all the top midfields in the world and not only are they dynamic they're also good passers that do not give the ball away cheaply.

Once we sort out the pivot and get a quality striker we will be the best team in England and one of the top 3-4 teams in Europe.

And with all that said we should have beaten Tottenham so style or no style we're better than that shower of shit.

Chelsea.play style is.hoof the ball.up to diminutive players or counter with hazard or Rambo speed.

Chelsea does not have a CF friendly play style

You've obviously did not watch the last Chelsea game.

A great team work goal with Lampard the goal scorer.

You've obviously did not watch the last Chelsea game.

A great team work goal with Lampard the goal scorer.

Your right, I didn't.....

The game was so early in USA, I only watch from min 70on...