A Case for Manuel Pellegrini

Strike

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If mourinho doesn't come, I would love joachim low to change our style to germany's quick beautiful football, but that's just me. Pellegrini is a coach of high degree so he isn't bad either, if his english is good then its okay. Good write up.

He spent £200 million on players, including arguably the second best player in the world, and was knocked out of the Champions League by Lyon.

This is not a fair analysis of a manager, but a love letter. When you skirt over serious issues like his complete lack of experience on the Premier League with 'he's experienced enough to adapt' and don't actually acknowledge that there is a real issue with not understanding the rigours of our league, you undermine the rest of your points.

Point noted. But why should it undermine the rest of the points?

This is why I think the 'lack of English experience' won't be a big issue

- He has vast experience - over 25 years

- He's a seasoned tactician in the La Liga - unlike Scolari who managed a lot of South American and Middle-Eastern teams and he is also well versed in English

He has dealt with big transfer budgets at both Real and Malaga. You are focussing on lack of English experience but i don't think it can be held against him as much as other managers like say, AVB or Scolari. Moreover, if we are restricting our manager search to England - the best available manager is David Moyes - and I know for certain that Pellegrini is a much better coach than Moyes.

Who do you think should be the new manager outside Jose and unrealistic people like Klopp, Loew etc?

If mourinho doesn't come, I would love joachim low to change our style to germany's quick beautiful football, but that's just me. Pellegrini is a coach of high degree so he isn't bad either, if his english is good then its okay. Good write up.

This from the Telegraph

" the Chilean is a disciplinarian with a commitment to attacking football, he can deal with big-name players and speaks fluent English"

Last time pellegrini had to feture in a project of comparable dimension at Real Madrid, he failed completely. He might be a decent coach, but IMO he is overrated. He's the same calibre as Sven göran-Eriksson or Roy Hodgson, He has no experience at all what it takes to win the very biggest titles. The only managers who had success for more than one year here were Ancelotti and Mourinho. Both had experience at big clubs and knew what it takes to win league&CL. also important was a very close relationship to the players. Pellegrini offers neither.

Sorry, how do you know for certain?

CL experience. Experience with big transfer budgets. Villarreal and now Malaga is a higher level than Everton. Moyes has had the comfortable backing of his chairman so far and the situation at Chelsea is completely different - Pellegrini is no stranger to our situation.

His work at Villarreal and Malaga is much greater than Moyes' work at Everton - case in point, Villarreal finished 2nd - 10 points ahead of Barca in 08' to add to the CL runs.

The only place to be, on 16 Apr 2013 - 7:07 undefined, said:

He spent £200 million on players, including arguably the second best player in the world, and was knocked out of the Champions League by Lyon.

This is not a fair analysis of a manager, but a love letter. When you skirt over serious issues like his complete lack of experience on the Premier League with 'he's experienced enough to adapt' and don't actually acknowledge that there is a real issue with not understanding the rigours of our league, you undermine the rest of your points.

The purpose of this article is to make a case for Pellegrini. That is why I chose Not to focus on his 'lack of English experience'. He's fluent in English and knows from his time at Real that he should get results soon.

'Lack of English experience' shouldn't take precedence over his coaching ability. You cannot just say that a manager with English experience will be better than foreign manager without taking into account coaching ability, results and experience.

Also, you've avoided my question - Who do you think should be the new manager outside Jose and unrealistic people like Klopp, Loew etc?

CL experience. Experience with big transfer budgets. Villarreal and now Malaga is a higher level than Everton. Moyes has had the comfortable backing of his chairman so far and the situation at Chelsea is completely different - Pellegrini is no stranger to our situation.

His work at Villarreal and Malaga is much greater than Moyes' work at Everton - case in point, Villarreal finished 2nd - 10 points ahead of Barca in 08' to add to the CL runs.

None of that makes him a much better coach in any way, shape or form. In fact Pellegrini didn't come to Europe until he was the age Moyes is right now - and Moyes has spent the last 10 years making Everton into contenders for a Champions League spot when they really don't have the resources of us, Arsenal or even Liverpool.

Last night he got a point at a team pushing us for a top four finish, whilst having faith in their own young English prodigy (Ross Barkley). That's mightily impressive and deserves a bit more respect than some here are willing to acknowledge.

The purpose of this article is to make a case for Pellegrini. That is why I chose Not to focus on his 'lack of English experience'. He's fluent in English and knows from his time at Real that he should get results soon.

'Lack of English experience' shouldn't take precedence over his coaching ability. You cannot just say that a manager with English experience will be better than foreign manager without taking into account coaching ability, results and experience.

Also, you've avoided my question - Who do you think should be the new manager outside Jose and unrealistic people like Klopp, Loew etc?

So it's a biased, unmeasured case for him then? Skirting over issues like spending £200 million to be knocked out of the Champions League by Lyon is allowed?

I suppose that counts as experience with big budgets though - I've got experience driving Ferraris. Admittedly I crashed it into a lake, but that's experience right?

If we don't get Mourinho, why not Moyes? My gripe with him has been a lack of a distinctive style of football but last night I saw a pragmatism and a faith in youth that I think we'll need here. I saw heart in his team's performance and the guy has turned that Everton team into something to be truly proud of. He's not the perfect candidate but no-one is, not even Jose but I'd feel safer in his hands than Pellegirini.

If we do hire Pellegrini then I would bet everything on him being gone by the end of the season at the latest. He's nothing but another seat-filler who will come in, maintain the status quo and get a nice pay-off. He's not one for the future, he's one from the past. A case for him is a case for repeating the same old mistakes.

None of that makes him a much better coach in any way, shape or form. In fact Pellegrini didn't come to Europe until he was the age Moyes is right now - and Moyes has spent the last 10 years making Everton into contenders for a Champions League spot when they really don't have the resources of us, Arsenal or even Liverpool.

Last night he got a point at a team pushing us for a top four finish, whilst having faith in their own young English prodigy (Ross Barkley). That's mightily impressive and deserves a bit more respect than some here are willing to acknowledge.

So it's a biased, unmeasured case for him then? Skirting over issues like spending £200 million to be knocked out of the Champions League by Lyon is allowed?

I suppose that counts as experience with big budgets though - I've got experience driving Ferraris. Admittedly I crashed it into a lake, but that's experience right?

If we don't get Mourinho, why not Moyes? My gripe with him has been a lack of a distinctive style of football but last night I saw a pragmatism and a faith in youth that I think we'll need here. I saw heart in his team's performance and the guy has turned that Everton team into something to be truly proud of. He's not the perfect candidate but no-one is, not even Jose but I'd feel safer in his hands than Pellegirini.

If we do hire Pellegrini then I would bet everything on him being gone by the end of the season at the latest. He's nothing but another seat-filler who will come in, maintain the status quo and get a nice pay-off. He's not one for the future, he's one from the past. A case for him is a case for repeating the same old mistakes.

Yes. Ofcourse it counts as experience! They say 'What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger'. A classic example is AVB's work at Spurs where he has clearly benefited from his mistakes at Chelsea. AVB has admitted that himself.

You had a problem with Pellegrini winning only 1 Intertoto Cup in Europe but Moyes' biggest achievement is winning the 2nd division with Preston. He hasn't won any title of note. Everton qualified for CL once but was beaten home and away by Pellegrini's Villarreal in 2005. Double standards?

Age may favour Moyes but Managers tend to go as long as till age 65-70. We are not looking at the incoming manager to pull a Fergie but get us through the next 3-4 years.

English-Player Bias is overrated. Chelsea have been a team with a heavy foreign flavour since the 90's and you only need to look at Liverpool to see where English-youngsters take you. Admittedly, Moyes has cultivated good young talent over the years but at Chelsea he will not get that time to put faith in the youngsters. In Mourinho's run, we barely had any academy products coming through.

Your other points supporting Moyes read like personal preference - 'I saw heart in the team's performance yesterday' - the same could be said for Malaga vs Dortmund. In the end, It's personal preference really. You like Moyes. I like Pellegrini but I will argue that Pellegrini is ahead of Moyes in terms of overall value. Moyes' main problem is lack of experience. He has zero experience of a title race, barely any experience in the Champions League (never made it to the groups) and zero experience of a big transfer budget. Don't get me wrong, I do think he's a good manager but he needs a run at a goodish team like Spurs before staking a claim for the Chelsea job.

Yes. Ofcourse it counts as experience! They say 'What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger'. A classic example is AVB's work at Spurs where he has clearly benefited from his mistakes at Chelsea. AVB has admitted that himself.

You had a problem with Pellegrini winning only 1 Intertoto Cup in Europe but Moyes' biggest achievement is winning the 2nd division with Preston. He hasn't won any title of note. Everton qualified for CL once but was beaten home and away by Pellegrini's Villarreal in 2005. Double standards?

Age may favour Moyes but Managers tend to go as long as till age 65-70. We are not looking at the incoming manager to pull a Fergie but get us through the next 3-4 years.

English-Player Bias is overrated. Chelsea have been a team with a heavy foreign flavour since the 90's and you only need to look at Liverpool to see where English-youngsters take you. Admittedly, Moyes has cultivated good young talent over the years but at Chelsea he will not get that time to put faith in the youngsters. In Mourinho's run, we barely had any academy products coming through.

Your other points supporting Moyes read like personal preference - 'I saw heart in the team's performance yesterday' - the same could be said for Malaga vs Dortmund. In the end, It's personal preference really. You like Moyes. I like Pellegrini but I will argue that Pellegrini is ahead of Moyes in terms of overall value. Moyes' main problem is lack of experience. He has zero experience of a title race, barely any experience in the Champions League (never made it to the groups) and zero experience of a big transfer budget. Don't get me wrong, I do think he's a good manager but he needs a run at a goodish team like Spurs before staking a claim for the Chelsea job.

So you're saying a man who spent £200 million and got knocked out of the European Cup by Lyon is the man for us?

This isn't an argument for Pellegrini - this is an argument for repeating the mistakes of old. Neither of these two men have a particularly impressive trophy haul, but Moyes at least knows this league. He knows the rigours of it. He knows what the Christmas period is like and what toll it takes on a squad. He's respected throughout the league by players and fans.

The next manager doesn't have to just take us through the next 3-4 years. There has to be a continuation of the change at this club. You say that Pellegrini has experience at a big club like Real Madrid, but that is almost exactly the type of model we're looking to move away from isn't it? He isn't going to come in and buy Galacticos, but instead be tasked with using our young talent and building a new ethos.

Your love letter to Pellegrini is a love letter to 2008 Chelsea. We need a manager for 2013 and beyond.

Oh and if you want a manager who puts the Intertoto Cup near the top of his resume and has managed a team like Spurs, why not Harry Redknapp? There would seem to be a stronger argument for him than either Pellegrini or Moyes based on some of the criteria you're using.

So you're saying a man who spent £200 million and got knocked out of the European Cup by Lyon is the man for us?

This isn't an argument for Pellegrini - this is an argument for repeating the mistakes of old. Neither of these two men have a particularly impressive trophy haul, but Moyes at least knows this league. He knows the rigours of it. He knows what the Christmas period is like and what toll it takes on a squad. He's respected throughout the league by players and fans.

The next manager doesn't have to just take us through the next 3-4 years. There has to be a continuation of the change at this club. You say that Pellegrini has experience at a big club like Real Madrid, but that is almost exactly the type of model we're looking to move away from isn't it? He isn't going to come in and buy Galacticos, but instead be tasked with using our young talent and building a new ethos.

Your love letter to Pellegrini is a love letter to 2008 Chelsea. We need a manager for 2013 and beyond.

Oh and if you want a manager who puts the Intertoto Cup near the top of his resume and has managed a team like Spurs, why not Harry Redknapp? There would seem to be a stronger argument for him than either Pellegrini or Moyes based on some of the criteria you're using.

you are using double standards to compare Pellegrini and Moyes in cup competitions. Why ridicule Pellegrini's lack of cup success when Moyes hasn't won anything of note in his career?

Pellegrini took Villarreal to the Champions League Semis and Malaga to the Quarters and finished 2nd in the La Liga.

Here is Moyes' Cup summary. Moyes' record in UEFA Competitions is poor. In 4 attempts, Furthest he has reached in the UEFA Cup is the Round of 16 . His record in the FA Cup is slightly better but very overrated. In 11 seasons at the club, Moyes' Everton have thrown away SEVEN ties when drawn at home in the FA Cup. To his credit, Everton have reached the Quarters twice, Semis once and the final once but bottled it each time. The League Cup is even worse. 11 seasons and apart from 2 semifinals, Everton have never gotten past 4th round.

No, not Löw! Anybody but him. Dude doesn't know how to handle players who aren't yes-men (look at what he did to Ballack and Frings, and is doing with Hummels atm). Germany is never gonna win a title with him, no matter how much talent they have and how long he remains. We're already lacking players with leader qualities, with Löw it would take another, even worse turn as he would simply drop and freeze out our current leaders if they said something that he didn't wanna hear.

Plus Löw is a horrible defensive coach. Yes, Germany is playing fancy offensive football, but it's no coincidence that ever since Löw took over Germany has had a shaky defense and has conceded some very stupid goals which could have been prevented if there was a structured team defense.

The (offensive) talent pool in Germany makes Löw look much better than he actually is.

No, not Löw! Anybody but him. Dude doesn't know how to handle players who aren't yes-men (look at what he did to Ballack and Frings, and is doing with Hummels atm). Germany is never gonna win a title with him, no matter how much talent they have and how long he remains. We're already lacking players with leader qualities, with Löw it would take another, even worse turn as he would simply drop and freeze out our current leaders if they said something that he didn't wanna hear.

Plus Löw is a horrible defensive coach. Yes, Germany is playing fancy offensive football, but it's no coincidence that ever since Löw took over Germany has had a shaky defense and has conceded some very stupid goals which could have been prevented if there was a structured team defense.

The (offensive) talent pool in Germany makes Löw look much better than he actually is.

Oh god Lowe is awful. Why is Lahm captain? He isn't a leader when compared to someone like Ballack. Germany are toothless when things are down, they have no bouncebackability.

Germany has always had amazing leaders and Lahm is not one of them. He is an amazing player but a leader he is not. Neither is Schweinsteiger...

I dont get some of the arguments against Pellegrini.
First of all, he only got one year in Real, one difficult year where influential media such as Marca was constantly working against him.
He didnt win anything that year, in spite of a massive signing spree, but surely we cant just look at it like that without analyzing that season more in depth.
If we start with the signings, Kaka and Benzema did not exactly repay what they were bought for. Before anyone blame Pellegrini for that it needs to be pointed out that it can be argued that neither has Mou. Ronaldo also had his first season in Real, he has gotten better since (I also recall him being out some time that season with an injury).

If we continue to the titles he did not win, I personally only hold the cup loss to Alcorcon against him. Lyon was a better team back then (than they are today, not better as in better than Real), and it is possible for any good team to go out against opposition like that, sometimes luck just isnt on the side of a team. In the league he got more points than Mou in two out of his three seasons, despite an arguably weaker team. He can hardly be blamed for losing the league to one of the best teams in history.
As for the cup, it was a horrible result. It is not like we havent seen other shocks like that in the past though, Utd going out against Leeds or Arsenal against Brentford. Sometimes players just dont take lower opposition seriously, even if the manager does. Still, I would say that this loss was the responsibility of Pellegrini.

It is harsh to judge him after just one season, it has been said that Real would have kept him if not for the fact that Mou became available.

As for the rest of his CV, I think it speaks in his favour if anything. He made Villareal into a force to be reckoned with, and has made Malaga into a Spanish top team aswell. This despite factors such as losing great players such as Rondon, Cazorla and Monreal. Let us not forget that if it was not for an injury-time offside goal, he would be in the semi-finals of CL.

I can understand that some people would be against him, no experience in PL, old age, not a lot of titles etc.
I think though that he has done generally well with what has been given him, I see no similarity to Scolari whatsoever.
Like most people I would of course want Mou back most of all, but Pellegrini is, in tight competition with Moyes (who has hardly been more impressive than Pellegrini), my second choice out of the realistic options for our coach next season

you are using double standards to compare Pellegrini and Moyes in cup competitions. Why ridicule Pellegrini's lack of cup success when Moyes hasn't won anything of note in his career?

Pellegrini took Villarreal to the Champions League Semis and Malaga to the Quarters and finished 2nd in the La Liga.

Here is Moyes' Cup summary. Moyes' record in UEFA Competitions is poor. In 4 attempts, Furthest he has reached in the UEFA Cup is the Round of 16 . His record in the FA Cup is slightly better but very overrated. In 11 seasons at the club, Moyes' Everton have thrown away SEVEN ties when drawn at home in the FA Cup. To his credit, Everton have reached the Quarters twice, Semis once and the final once but bottled it each time. The League Cup is even worse. 11 seasons and apart from 2 semifinals, Everton have never gotten past 4th round.

That only works if you don't look at how much money their teams spent. Since team spending is the single most important factor in success (sorry, not even arguable) ignoring it is absurd. Malaga is easily the 3rd highest spending team in Spain over the past five years. Despite that, Malaga have never come top three. They've actually unperformed based on their spending. Everton, on the other hand, actually have a positive transfer balance over the past five years and in 3 of those five seasons. Based on their spending, you'd expect them to be mid-table or lower, yet in 10 of Moyes' 12 years as manager, Everton has finished top-8. That's exceeding their spending expectation.

That only works if you don't look at how much money their teams spent. Since team spending is the single most important factor in success (sorry, not even arguable) ignoring it is absurd. Malaga is easily the 3rd highest spending team in Spain over the past five years. Despite that, Malaga have never come top three. They've actually unperformed based on their spending. Everton, on the other hand, actually have a positive transfer balance over the past five years and in 3 of those five seasons. Based on their spending, you'd expect them to be mid-table or lower, yet in 10 of Moyes' 12 years as manager, Everton has finished top-8. That's exceeding their spending expectation.

His work at Villarreal is comparable to Moyes at Everton imo. At Villarreal, he got the 2nd place finish ahead of Barca, the CL semis and 1 quarter-final run.

Also, Pellegrini came to Malaga only in 2010. in his first full season in Malaga, he got them into CL - improvement doesn't happen overnight and getting top 4 in first full-season was a big achievement for Malaga regardless of the money spent.

He was then forced to sell his best players Cazorla, Rondon and then Monreal and yet they are in the race for Top 4 again and also reached the CL quarters. In complete contrast to your last point - This season Malaga have overperformed inspite of financial struggles and sale of top players.