Stripping Down

Guest FullEnglishBreakfast

Gary Cahill is fine and i don't really have a concern over him. Can he be upgraded? Absolutely, but he is a solid starter and it is not necessary.

Like who United? City? Barca? Bayern? PSG? AC Milan?

Are you telling me he would be third choice on those teams? All those teams have had issues at CB at one point or another. Only Juve, Madrid, and Dortmund CB situation is somewhat exceptional.

Meh the article is way too nit picky for my taste. We are just missing 2-3 pieces imo and even without any changes to this season squad we will be much better next season. Sometimes a season like this is a good foundation for a young squad to build on. You don't need world class players at every position. Cahil as i said is solid, Luiz may not get the credit for it but he is as good as any CB in the league, Cole is still very good even toward the end of his illustrious career, and Lucas is the only DM i would take over Mikel in the PL. CM and ST is the only position we need upgrade at.

What's unnecessary? Please elaborate.

Just because those few teams settle for average at best doesn't mean that Chelsea has to also. I want the best for Chelsea, I don't want the club to settle with an average CB being the first choice. I also find it awkward that you mention that Madrid and Dortmund have exceptional CB situations while Bayern doesn't. Bayern has the best defensive record out of all three of those clubs...

What's wrong with being nitpicky? Managers have to be nitpicky with there players, they can't just thrown 11 together and expect results. These sort of things need to be carefully thought out and considered.

Mikel can never be a starter for a team wishing to be fully offensive or counterattacking, he slows the tempo down far too much. He is perfect if stability and a slower tempo is needed but if Chelsea want to continue with a a more offensive brand they really need to consider another player in Mikel's position. People don't seem to understand that I like Mikel but I don't believe he fits into the jigsaw very well.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oscar as a forward, really ? Well he could defo play the second striker role , but not the main guy. That'd be too much for him.

Great article though, completely agree on parts like Mata and Hazard are more like Inside forwards and that's pretty cool yet damaging for our team balance and the striker. If they'd go like this, we'd really need someone like Xabi Alonso, controlling the game from the middle, providing the balls to Mata and Hazard so they don't have to fall deep every time to collect the ball and disrupt the tempo of our play.

Mikel is utterly useless.

Cahill and Luiz both are painfully inconsistent, we'd need to get a world class defender to marshall our defense.Terry doesn't have the legs anymore.

We need to let go off Torres, This whole chelsea move has been a nightmare for him. Schurrle or Jovetic with Lukaku would be a great pairing and might not cost a lot.

Oscar as a forward, really ? Well he could defo play the second striker role , but not the main guy. That'd be too much for him.

The forward positions aren't static to Centre Forward and Second Striker.

Gary Cahill is fine and i don't really have a concern over him. Can he be upgraded? Absolutely, but he is a solid starter and it is not necessary.

Like who United? City? Barca? Bayern? PSG? AC Milan? Are you telling me he would be third choice on those teams? All those teams have had issues at CB at one point or another. Only Juve, Madrid, and Dortmund CB situation is somewhat exceptional.

Completely disagree. Garry Cahill cannot be a starter even for a side challenging for the PL, especially if you're going to play a high line. And no, I don't think he'll start over Rio-Vidic, Kompany-Nastasic, Puyol-Pique (not because they are better as defenders but because they are better on the ball) or Boateng-Badstuber. And I personally don't want my defense to be like PSG or Milan.

I've probably said this a hundred times before, but I'll say it again: Garry Cahill has the physical and technical attributes to be one of the best defenders in the world. He's got a lot of pace, great physical strength, good heading, excellent tackling...everything you'd look for in your world-class defender. His problem lies, however in his decision making. I've lost count of the amount of times we've conceded dangerous chances because Garry lost his man in the box, took a wrong position to defend, or stepped up too late; the latter especially. That's why he does amazing well in games when we have our backs against the wall, i.e. games when he doesn't have a lot of decisions to make, just a whole lot of tackling and heading and blocking shots. Think about it, his best games in a Chelsea shirt were probably against Barca at the bridge and against Arsenal this season when we had to defend a goal for a whole 45 mins.

Don't get me wrong, we're lucky to have Garry as our third choice center back, but that's all he is, imo.

Dont think anyone say's that cahill will be a starter in the future,He is a great squad player though.

What is Chelsea's best CB pairing?

I think that's something we need to resolve sooner rather than later..

Do we need to buy a new CB or is a combination of Brana, Cahill, Luiz and a younger defender enough to win the EPL title..

I actually agree with Cahill being a good third choice, alongside Ivanovic who can back up Azpi at right-back too. In that sense the squad has a nice balance about it, but we probably do need that main guy to play alongside Luiz if we're accepting JT is coming to the end. I've said it before, but I'd love someone like Kompany who has it all but can be no-nonsense when he needs to be. It just seems as though there's a dearth of top-class defenders right now and the ones who might fit the bill are off-limits.

The same goes for defensive midfielders and a lot of the accusations levelled at Cahill can apply to Mikel (physically and technically sound but lacking in the decision-making department). Funnily enough the answer to both those problems could be young Chalobah, but there's also Omeruo, Kalas and Ake who could step-up if given the chance. Rather than breaking the bank in pursuit of Falcao maybe we could look at someone like Hummels. He might not sell as many t-shirts in Asia but he'd probably win us more titles in the long-run.

You'll get about a dozen different answers to that one.

Personally I think it's redundant unless the midfield offers them protection.

I think that's something we need to resolve sooner rather than later..

Do we need to buy a new CB or is a combination of Brana, Cahill, Luiz and a younger defender enough to win the EPL title..

Currently i think the best pairing is terry-luiz but as terry is very much on his last legs i think we will need one genuine world class CB and a young top class CB(zouma).Loan the young CB for 1-2 years and then eventually replace ivanovic with him.And before people start throwing in name's like chalobah and kalas for the CB spot,chalobah is now a midfielder and kalas is excelling in the right back position.

Mata is not a n°10, though.

What is he then? I don't think it's fair to say something like that and not elaborate!