Lewis Baker

Stats

I am worried about Lewis Baker. Must be said. He had an excellent season for the U21/U19 last season and got around 20 goals or so and to top that of got the young player of the year award and Mourinho promoted him to the first team squad and mentioned how excited he is for him. However after spending some time training with the first team he went on loan to Sheffield Wednesday where it did not work out. Was subbed of in on game at H/T and then got dropped altogether from their squad for the next game which led to us calling him back. We then loaned him out to MK Dons where he was a sub first game. Not too surprising as he maybe needs to build up match fitness and to be fair he starts their next game and scores a wonder goal, albeit a defeat but not too sure how his general performance was that game. However since that he has been benched both games despite scoring that excellent goal.

I just find it a bit worrying that with his status, he has not managed to easily slot into their midfield which he should be if he was Chelsea standard. I like Baker a lot but maybe it is a case that he struggles to adapt to playing with players that are not of CFC quality. For someone who was expected to make such an impact in the Championship to then being on the bench 3 times at a L1 club is rather worrying. I hope it is the case that the manager feels he is not match sharp yet but expects him to make a huge impact because I was expecting big things from Baker this season.

Chelsea intensifies scouting Youri Tielemans. They're on Anderlecht matches on regular basis. There you go the chances of Baker to making it here. Chelsea quicker buy another of that type.

To be fair for me Baker is talented but it will be very hard for him to making it at the top level. Lots of hard work and determination. There're lots of talented youngsters in the Chelsea Academy or on loan but only a few really special and he's not that one for me. If you seriously wants to introduce some youngster, you have to choose the ones you consider the best and nurture them. It's impossible when you try to have several irons in the fire. At this level you have to be harsh on someone but you choose 2 of the best of the bunch and wish the best for the rest (with buy back clause). That's my way of thinking how you introduce the youth at this level with keeping competitiveness.

Better to focus on RLC for a midfield position.

I am worried about Lewis Baker. Must be said. He had an excellent season for the U21/U19 last season and got around 20 goals or so and to top that of got the young player of the year award and Mourinho promoted him to the first team squad and mentioned how excited he is for him. However after spending some time training with the first team he went on loan to Sheffield Wednesday where it did not work out. Was subbed of in on game at H/T and then got dropped altogether from their squad for the next game which led to us calling him back. We then loaned him out to MK Dons where he was a sub first game. Not too surprising as he maybe needs to build up match fitness and to be fair he starts their next game and scores a wonder goal, albeit a defeat but not too sure how his general performance was that game. However since that he has been benched both games despite scoring that excellent goal.

I just find it a bit worrying that with his status, he has not managed to easily slot into their midfield which he should be if he was Chelsea standard. I like Baker a lot but maybe it is a case that he struggles to adapt to playing with players that are not of CFC quality. For someone who was expected to make such an impact in the Championship to then being on the bench 3 times at a L1 club is rather worrying. I hope it is the case that the manager feels he is not match sharp yet but expects him to make a huge impact because I was expecting big things from Baker this season.

But if you're wondering why Baker doesn't play I read that his coaches think that he isn't ready yet. Clearly a talented player but has an issue with coping with match demands. Basically they think that the bridge between U21 and competitive game even at 3rd tier level is too big and he isn't ready yet for that. Of course lack of athleticism doesn't help a one bit in picking him.

I call it bullshit. While I doesn't consider him a special player, he's at least Championship level currently. But you can't blame other coaches. Players like Baker has simply many difficulties down the road. He has clearly something about him but can't impose himself in a short period of time. And through this period of adjusting, thanks to his lack of physical abilities and small size, he can look bloody awful so it's natural that coaches will choose other and safer options. They have a result pressure too.

That's why I don't get why B teams can't play at least at League Two level. Jesus, it wouldn't cause a harm but it would help many young players to be ready when they go on loan or try to breakthrough into the first team. The whole idea of forbidding someone who has a money for that to form a B team is sick for me.

But if you're wondering why Baker doesn't play I read that his coaches think that he isn't ready yet. Clearly a talented player but has an issue with coping with match demands. Basically they think that the bridge between U21 and competitive game even at 3rd tier level is too big and he isn't ready yet for that. Of course lack of athleticism doesn't help a one bit in picking him.

I call it bullshit. While I doesn't consider him a special player, he's at least Championship level currently. But you can't blame other coaches. Players like Baker has simply many difficulties down the road. He has clearly something about him but can't impose himself in a short period of time. And through this period of adjusting, thanks to his lack of physical abilities and small size, he can look bloody awful so it's natural that coaches will choose other and safer options. They have a result pressure too.

That's why I don't get why B teams can't play at least at League Two level. Jesus, it wouldn't cause a harm but it would help many young players to be ready when they go on loan or try to breakthrough into the first team. The whole idea of forbidding someone who has a money for that to form a B team is sick for me.

Lack of phsyical abilities and small size? He is not a phsyical beast but he is no twig either. He is quite tall or above the average height I would say. I agree that the lack of athleticism might not help him but he has the technique, decent vision and intelligence to play that level. He always handled the physical side well from when I watched him with us. But, yeah I don't really see him being here in the long term tbh.

To clarify, I don't say that Baker's shortage are crucial to not making it, I say that because he hasn't got great physical abilities (at least worse than average lower league midfielder when usual it's more about physique) he can't impose himself with limited playing time he gets. He can adjust when he will get time but because there's a pressure to be ready now he won't get that time. It's a vicious circle.

http://fat.gfycat.com/PersonalUnderstatedDachshund.mp4

Great goal by Baker yesterday for MK Dons applr.gif

Good for him, hopefully he earns a permanent move to a Championship/League 1 club sooner rather than later

He's got raw talent but I just don't see him making it at Chelsea

Next season he will have access to better loans and he can prove he's Chelsea material. He's only 19, it's a young age to break into a team like Chelsea anyway.

From what I've seen of him, he looks good. Very good. One for the the future still.

Good for him, hopefully he earns a permanent move to a Championship/League 1 club sooner rather than later

I don't think he will make it long term as in first team but I still think he will be around for quite a few seasons yet.

Next season he will have access to better loans and he can prove he's Chelsea material. He's only 19, it's a young age to break into a team like Chelsea anyway.

From what I've seen of him, he looks good. Very good. One for the the future still.

Hate to burst your bubble but unless Baker is playing exceptionally well in the Championship next season, his chances of making it at Chelsea are slim

I do think he'll have a solid career (like Jack Cork..who was also a talented young midfielder in Chelsea's reserves), just not at Chelsea

http://fat.gfycat.com/PersonalUnderstatedDachshund.mp4

Great goal by Baker yesterday for MK Dons applr.gif

Great bit of skill.

He's got talent but he won't make it at Chelsea for reasons beyond his control. There is absolutely no reason why Baker couldn't develop into at least a squad member here. It's not often you see young players that technically gifted and genuinely two-footed.

I don't think he will make it long term as in first team but I still think he will be around for quite a few seasons yet.

Fair enough, he could stick around like Bertrand, get the odd chance to impress as a backup

I'm just not getting my hopes up...after the disappointment of McEachran :cry: (I thought he would be a HG squad player by now, had all the talent)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Baker could go go on loan to Boro if Nathan Ake also is on loan next season with Boro?

I do not know the rules in the first division, but in Premier League Only one loan is allowed in each team. But this season we have had Kallas, Omeruo, Bamford... in Boro.

If it were possible I think it would be nice to have on loan Kallas, Omeruo, Ake, Traore and Baker in Boro.

Boro seems willing to receive our players and for His final formation It could be a good option.

Regards.

Baker could go go on loan to Boro if Nathan Ake also is on loan next season with Boro?I do not know the rules in the first division, but in Premier League Only one loan is allowed in each team. But this season we have had Kallas, Omeruo, Bamford... in Boro.If it were possible I think it would be nice to have on loan Kallas, Omeruo, Ake, Traore and Baker in Boro.Boro seems willing to receive our players and for His final formation It could be a good option.

Regards.

Maybe , but he helped his team get promoted to the championship , so he is already an important player for them. And he plays with dele alli , another really good young midfielder. Might be best to keep him there.