Pros and Cons of our Manager Options

Strike

As we approach the business end of the footballing calendar,Chelsea fans, myself included, can’t help but think beyond this season. Out of the Premier League title race, out of the Champions League and with nothing but a top-4 finish to play for, Chelsea are facing the very real prospect of going trophy-less this season. In short, we need to rebuild yet again. So, here’s who I would put on top of my list in the search for a new “permanent” manager.

Honorable mentions: Manuel Pellegrini, Guus Hiddink, Diego Simeone

1. Jose Mourinho

Pros

Pretty self-explanatory really. He is adored by the fans and respected by the footballing world. Wants to return to England and coming here offers him the possibility of building a new team and possibly fulfill his self-proclaimed dream of winning the Champions League with an English club.

Tactically astute and a great motivator. Shares a great bond with his players. 2-time Champions League winner (with Porto and Inter) and 7-time league winner in Portugal, England, Italy and Spain. His teams are instilled with a sense of professionalism. Stamford Bridge was a fortress during his time at Chelsea.

Used to the English game and will return to England with the same swagger that saw him christen himself “The Special One” in his first stint at Chelsea. Will command more patience from Roman than any other manager.

Cons

Ignored our youth academy during his time here and focused on signing rather expensive foreign imports. Slightly erratic in the transfer market. To every Drogba, there was a Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Prefers powerful players (Drogba/Essien, Eto’o/Cambiasso) to the young skilful players Chelsea signed last summer. His teams are known to grind out wins, something that Chelsea have struggled with the current squad.

Friction between him and Roman Abramovich led to him leaving Chelsea by “mutual consent” back in 2007.

2. Joachim Löw

Pros

Head Coach of The German National Football Team since 2006 and has continued the philosophy of predecessor and long-time friend Jurgen Klinsmann. Germany is associated with vibrant, counter-attacking football which would suit our current batch of players.

Avid promoter of young players. Has taken Germany to 3rd place finishes at the 2006 and 2010 World Cups and also to a runners-up finish at Euro 2008. Considered unlucky, especially in the 2010 World Cup when Spain narrowly edged Germany out in the semi-finals.

Would open up the possibility of signing the top stars of the Bundesliga. Mario Goetze and Marco Reus will no longer be distant dreams if we do hire Löw

Cons

Inexperienced in English football and may take a while to get used to the physical nature of the English game. Lack of any real success despite reaching the semifinals of the last 4 major International events is worrying. German team is associated with a lack of character, especially in the latter stages of a tournament. Youthful nature of Löw’s teams maybe a reason

Virtually inexperienced at club level having managed the German National team for the past 7 years.

3.Roberto Mancini

(This is assuming that he is sackedby Manchester City)

Pros

Guided City into the Champions League and then to the Premier League title in successive seasons after a similarly successful spell with Inter Milan in the Serie A. Especially impressive in dealing with the trouble-makers in the City squad. Went toe-to-toe with Robinho, Adebayor, Tevez and Balotelli at City and remained unflinched. Sold Robinho, Adebayor and now Balotelli, while Tevez was barred from the team and forced to pay a fine for refusing to come off the bench.

Credited with the rise of Manchester City, he is now experienced in English football and his Manchester City team has overpowered the Premier League while playing some good football. Built the current City team from scratch as he has signed Yaya Toure, David Silva, Sergio Aguero among other key players.

Cons

To say he's been a disaster in Europe is a gross understatement. Failed miserably with Inter and was dumped unceremoniously from the Champions League by Benitez's Liverpool 3-0 on aggregate. City have failed to clear the group stages of the Champions League for 2 seasons in a row now. The 3 league titles he won at Inter were marred by the match-fixing scandal which affected Inter’s direct rivals AC Milan and Juventus.

Has had his problems managing a large City squad. Reported bust-ups with numerous players are evidence of that fact. Also, he doesn't really give us a boost in the transfer market.

Lack of squad rotation has seen promising prospects like Adam Johnson and now Scott Sinclair limited to the substitutes bench.

4. David Moyes

Pros

Long-time servant at Merseyside club Everton and has managed to build a dynasty at the club. Took Everton to the UEFA Champions League (on a shoe-string budget) in 2005. His Everton team is known for it’s work ethic but in recent seasons, Moyes is gradually shifting Everton’s style of play to a more expansive counter-attacking model.

Excellent man-management and an experienced campaigner. Known for digging up gems in the transfer market. Could be tempted by the prospect of silverware here although he has expressed an interest in managing a Bundesliga team in the future.

Cons

Inexperienced at a big club. Enjoys a healthy working relationship with chairman Bill Kenwright at Everton, something he can’t possibly expect from Roman because of his lack of “pedigree”.

His prowess in the transfer-market will be of little use at Chelsea where the transfer targets will be radically different to the ones at Everton.

His conservative style of management will not work at a big club like Chelsea

5. Jurgen Klopp

Pros

The bearded genius behind Dortmund’s recent dominance of the Bundesliga. He took over a Dortmund side rooted in mid-table and within 4 years, transformed them into the best team in Germany. He rid the team of old players and incorporated young blood. After finishing 6th and 5th in his first 2 seasons in charge of Dortmund, Klopp led Dortmund to a 28-game unbeaten run on their way to a historic Bundesliga title in the 2010-11 season with a German record points tally of 81 points. He went one better the following season when Dortmund retained the Bundesliga and thrashed Bayern Munich 5-2 in the DFB-Pokal final.

Behind the beard and the touchline antics (The German Martin O’Neill), is a shrewd tactician. Uses a counter-attacking high-pressure system although he may tweak it to adapt to the English game.

Hiring Klopp, much like Löw, will help us delve into the German market. Young (relatively) and innovative and will come in with fresh ideas to improve the team. Fond of the rotation policy

Cons

Again, practically no Premier League experience means Klopp is a risky option. He is yet to be tested out of his comfort zone and so there is no guarantee he won’t end up like AVB.

Has a good record in the transfer market but his knowledge or preference seems limited to Germany

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good analysis, but how likely are we of getting any of those managers? Klopp and Low have no reason to leave their current posts, Moyes isn't likely to be even considered by RA, Mourinho won't come back unless he works out his issues with RA, and Mancini is...well, Mancini.

I think it is much more likely that Roman maybe convinces Guus to change his mind about retiring or bring someone like Pelligrini in.

Good analysis, but how likely are we of getting any of those managers? Klopp and Low have no reason to leave their current posts, Moyes isn't likely to be even considered by RA, Mourinho won't come back unless he works out his issues with RA, and Mancini is...well, Mancini.

I think it is much more likely that Roman maybe convinces Guus to change his mind about retiring or bring someone like Pelligrini in.

Did not consider their availability but I think Mancini - if sacked by City - would love to come here. He's Benitez 2.0. Desperate for a top job.

Mourinho has stated he wants to come back to England. 50 % chance that it is Chelsea.

Moyes - slim chance - may want silverware, you never know but still unlikely he'll come here

Klopp is the flavour of the month and we know Abramovich likes flavour of the month (AVB) and if he is going to lose his top players at Dortmund, he might consider the Chelsea job. I don't buy the media's story about how Klopp "rejected" Chelsea job. We will have to wait and see in the summer.

No possibility of Low coming though. He will stick with Germany till the 2014 WC.

Hiddink's contract expires in the summer. I am not sure how I would feel if he took over.

Did not consider their availability but I think Mancini - if sacked by City - would love to come here. He's Benitez 2.0. Desperate for a top job.

But will we even consider him? He's not exactly a top manager, and his abysmal record in Europe will definitely be a turn off for Roman.

Mourinho has stated he wants to come back to England. 50 % chance that it is Chelsea.

Don't want to drag the argument in the Mourinho thread here, but in all honesty, if I were Mourinho, I'd chose city in heart beat. There he will have more security, more control, and arguably better funding.

Klopp is the flavour of the month and we know Abramovich likes flavour of the month (AVB) and if he is going to lose his top players at Dortmund, he might consider the Chelsea job. I don't buy the media's story about how Klopp "rejected" Chelsea job. We will have to wait and see in the summer.

It's actually not a media story but direct real quotes from him. He said that he won't leave Dortmund and that Chelsea and Real shouldn't bother going after him. He has never left a team of his before his contract expired. You can definitely rule him out of the equation.

Hiddink's contract expires in the summer. I am not sure how I would feel if he took over.

I would love Hidink. He's a proven world-class manager. My only concern (the same goes for Mourinho, btw) is that I am not sure that our current players fit his style of play.

But will we even consider him? He's not exactly a top manager, and his abysmal record in Europe will definitely be a turn off for Roman.

It's actually not a media story but direct real quotes from him. He said that he won't leave Dortmund and that Chelsea and Real shouldn't bother going after him. He has never left a team of his before his contract expired. You can definitely rule him out of the equation.

I would love Hidink. He's a proven world-class manager. My only concern (the same goes for Mourinho, btw) is that I am not sure that our current players fit his style of play.

i would accept Mancini if it came to it.

As for Klopp - yeah - he stayed with Mainz eventhough they got relegated to the 2nd division but i will still wait till the summer to see if anything happens

Jose Mourinho - 1 major advantage we have over City is we are in London. He has property in London and would ideally love to manage here. Ofcourse it is easy to have his house in London and commute between Manchester and London but I'm just clutching at straws here

I thought we shoulda hired Hiddink when instead we hired AVB. Now, it would be a step back imo

Jose Mourinho - 1 major advantage we have over City is we are in London. He has property in London and would ideally love to manage here. Ofcourse it is easy to have his house in London and commute between Manchester and London but I'm just clutching at straws here

The man is multimillionaire, I'm sure he can buy a house in Manchester if he wants to :lol:

I thought we shoulda hired Hiddink when instead we hired AVB. Now, it would be a step back imo

I was convinced we'll go for Hidink too before we were interested in AVB, but why would he be a step back now?

The man is multimillionaire, I'm sure he can buy a house in Manchester if he wants to :lol:

I was convinced we'll go for Hidink too before we were interested in AVB, but why would he be a step back now?

Hiddink is past it I'm afraid. He's 66 and close to retirement and I would love to have a younger manager with new ideas here rather than go back to Hiddink

Hiddink is past it I'm afraid. He's 66 and close to retirement and I would love to have a younger manager with new ideas here rather than go back to Hiddink

Fair point, but if no permanent solution is available, I can't think of anyone better to take the helm for a season or two.

Don't want to drag the argument in the Mourinho thread here, but in all honesty, if I were Mourinho, I'd chose city in heart beat. There he will have more security, more control, and arguably better funding.

He would have more security at City, but the City job would only be open if City SACKED Mancini just one year after winning them the title???

That doesn't sound like that much more security than us, considering that's similar to what we did with Ancelotti. Plus they have the Barcelona guys there who rejected Mourinho a few years ago and would be a big presence there when people continually point out that Mourinho doesn't like people meddling.

As for the style of football argument, is there a team we're closer to in world football than the current Madrid side? We're only lacking a Modric/Alonso in my opinion but we set up fairly similarly to them (Hazard/Ronaldo, Ozil/Mata, Khedira/Mikel/ etc.)

Nice post OP btw. Don't disagree with too much of that although I think it's hard to judge Mourinho's use of youth in his time here because the young players we had weren't much cop.

He would have more security at City, but the City job would only be open if City SACKED Mancini just one year after winning them the title???

That doesn't sound like that much more security than us, considering that's similar to what we did with Ancelotti. Plus they have the Barcelona guys there who rejected Mourinho a few years ago and would be a big presence there when people continually point out that Mourinho doesn't like people meddling.

As for the style of football argument, is there a team we're closer to in world football than the current Madrid side? We're only lacking a Modric/Alonso in my opinion but we set up fairly similarly to them (Hazard/Ronaldo, Ozil/Mata, Khedira/Mikel/ etc.)

Nice post OP btw. Don't disagree with too much of that although I think it's hard to judge Mourinho's use of youth in his time here because the young players we had weren't much cop.

Like I said, I don't want to bring the argument in the Mourinho thread here and turn this thread about Jose alone. But regarding the style, Mourinho plays counter attacking football, he has always done so. All his teams defend first. He utilizes attackers who are very hard working and with explosive pace. That is not the case with the likes of Mata, Oscar and Hazard who thrive on possession and do little on the defense (granted they have improved immensely under Rafa). To borrow from SeB, our current team is bunch of ball "wankers".

Like I said, I don't want to bring the argument in the Mourinho thread here and turn this thread about Jose alone. But regarding the style, Mourinho plays counter attacking football, he has always done so. All his teams defend first. He utilizes attackers who are very hard working and with explosive pace. That is not the case with the likes of Mata, Oscar and Hazard who thrive on possession and do little on the defense (granted they have improved immensely under Rafa). To borrow from SeB, our current team is bunch of ball "wankers".

You're talking about minor tweaks in the system we use. That again comes back to the problems in our double-pivot where the transition from defence to attack is often too slow. In games against Stoke and Everton we actually played our best football when we reverted to that Mourinho-style offence.

Mata and Oscar don't do enough defensively, but look at Moses and Hazard who have improved so much this year on the defensive side of their game, Eden in particular. Look also at our youth teams who all play that type of football as well.

Klopp and Mourinho are probably the two best choices in terms of the style of football they might bring. My reservation with Moyes has always been that it's unclear what his footballing philosophy is beyond survival through pragmatism.

You're talking about minor tweaks in the system we use. That again comes back to the problems in our double-pivot where the transition from defence to attack is often too slow. In games against Stoke and Everton we actually played our best football when we reverted to that Mourinho-style offence.

Mata and Oscar don't do enough defensively, but look at Moses and Hazard who have improved so much this year on the defensive side of their game, Eden in particular. Look also at our youth teams who all play that type of football as well.

Klopp and Mourinho are probably the two best choices in terms of the style of football they might bring. My reservation with Moyes has always been that it's unclear what his footballing philosophy is beyond survival through pragmatism.

They are hardly minor tweaks because the wingers are the most important part of the attack in Mourinho's teams. Moses fits indeed. But Hazard, despite his improvement, would be out of place in Jose's style of play. And I'm not just talking about defending but also pace and the ability to play on the counter. If Jose does come and is given control on transfers, I see at least one of Mata/Hazard/Oscar leaving and us buying a winger in the mold of Duff/Robben/Cole/Pandev/Di Maria..etc

I don't get the hate on Mancini. I would accept him if he came here. He has Premier League experience and his signings mean business. Aguero, Yaya, Silva are top top signings. his european misadventures look worrying but i believe he's the best candidate for the job after Jose assuming of course, he is sacked.

Moyes is a major wildcard. I don't think his conservative managerial style will suit us.

They are hardly minor tweaks because the wingers are the most important part of the attack in Mourinho's teams. Moses fits indeed. But Hazard, despite his improvement, would be out of place in Jose's style of play. And I'm not just talking about defending but also pace and the ability to play on the counter. If Jose does come and is given control on transfers, I see at least one of Mata/Hazard/Oscar leaving and us buying a winger in the mold of Duff/Robben/Cole/Pandev/Di Maria..etc

Normally I'd say I disagree. This time I'm just going to say you're wrong. He worked with Robben at Chelsea, Etoo at Inter and now Ronaldo at Madrid. None of these players are hard workers in defence, yet his system worked and just look at how far Hazard has come in less than ONE season.

The systems match, and more importantly they match throughout the club. There are objections to be made to Mourinho coming back but this simply isn't one of them.

PLEASE GOD NOT MANCINI

IF THAT HAPPENS I MIGHT JUST PUT MYSELF INTO CROGENIC TANK UNTIL HE IS FIRED!!!!

He is at best on a par with Benitez

I would rather have the ground staff in charge than Mancini!!!

You Bet!

I know my mate who is a United fan and he kept telling me Rafa would come to Chelsea and destroy us like he did to Liverpool (he is United agent), i use laugh at him stating that we are a sensible team ... until Rafa got selected from that day till today and till Rafa is there I havent been able to tell him anything ....

His new theory is that Rafa goes to Madrid, Jose to City and Manchini to come to Chelsea ... After Rafa's incident i really dread our management to do something as laughable as Rafa ... i really dont trust I swear i will take a sabbatical from football till such fools are there at the helm ....

What about laudrup he is also a very good manager who plays good football and developes young players.I think we should go all out for klopp in the summer if he does not come then we should look at the like's of loew,laudrup and mourinho.