Physical & Mental health

Leif

Sadly I still do not have the strength to do even a single pull up. Recently,I've changed my workout routine to help build some kind of strength,so hopefully I'll see some progress. Even negatives were kind of a problem because I couldn't control my legs and they kept going forward. Crossing them also did not help,so any advice on how to improve this? Or should I just concentrate on my routine( does not include pull ups) and try them after a few weeks.

One tip when doing pullups is use a chair or somekind of platform and use one leg to help your back and arms out. Make sure you pull with your back and squeeze when you're on top. Doing dips, lat pull-downs on machine will also work the muscles working when doing pull up so they'll get stronger. Pull up are also very demanding for forearms, just give it time and keep going at it. I remember when I started I did max push-ups every morning and tried to do one pull up, then two, then three and so on...

Something like this:

For copyright reasons and in the light of recent events I'll just add I nor TalkChelsea own this picture, it's used for only educational and non-profitable reasons and was taken from nerdfitness.com website.Screen-shot-2011-04-25-at-10.43.09-PM1.j

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One tip when doing pullups is use a chair or somekind of platform and use one leg to help your back and arms out. Make sure you pull with your back and squeeze when you're on top. Doing dips, lat pull-downs on machine will also work the muscles working when doing pull up so they'll get stronger. Pull up are also very demanding for forearms, just give it time and keep going at it. I remember when I started I did max push-ups every morning and tried to do one pull up, then two, then three and so on...

Something like this:

For copyright reasons and in the light of recent events I'll just add I nor TalkChelsea own this picture, it's used for only educational and non-profitable reasons and was taken from nerdfitness.com website.Screen-shot-2011-04-25-at-10.43.09-PM1.j

Thanks man,really appreciate it.

Sadly I still do not have the strength to do even a single pull up. Recently,I've changed my workout routine to help build some kind of strength,so hopefully I'll see some progress. Even negatives were kind of a problem because I couldn't control my legs and they kept going forward. Crossing them also did not help,so any advice on how to improve this? Or should I just concentrate on my routine( does not include pull ups) and try them after a few weeks.

if you have access to a bar around waist height, you can do inverted rows/Australian pullups

inv_row.JPG

use overhand or underhand grip. if that is still too hard , bend your legs.

im working on these. my pullups are weak too.

Lots of information here guys, great responses, copied and pasted a lot of this for my notes.

I won't do the GOMAD diet then, it was a fitness newbie error on my part, seeing the success stories but not looking at the bigger picture i.e health. I will instead stick to increasing my calorie intake through food, although the idea of counting calories sounds so tedious, but I suppose that's part of the discipline. I will update you on my progress in this thread, all the advice thus far will be taken on board.

if you have access to a bar around waist height, you can do inverted rows/Australian pullups

inv_row.JPG

use overhand or underhand grip. if that is still too hard , bend your legs.

im working on these. my pullups are weak too.

Thanks a lot mate. Will definitely try em out.

The most frustrating part for me, is that I can’t just go out and get cut, as an ectomorph… I've currently got nothing to work with. Will have to be patient af, eating is going to have to be my occupation for the time being, lmao.

The most frustrating part for me, is that I can’t just go out and get cut, as an ectomorph… I've currently got nothing to work with. Will have to be patient af, eating is going to have to be my occupation for the time being, lmao.

Be positive, if you stick to your goals and routines, then in a year or two you'll be amazed how much you've changed. Plus being an ectomorph has its pros - adipose tissue contains enzyme called aromatase which converts testosteron into estrogens (that's why obese people develop something certain communities call the bitch tits). You lack the tissue, the enzyme and your body has theoretically more anabolic properties to put on muscle.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm 113lbs now :cry: I don't really have the strength i did when i was an overweight 180lb or whatever it was which concerns me. Am i supposed to just build my strength back up by going back down to lower weights etc? That'll hurt my ego.

I feel like i've still got a belly but if i lose much more weight i'll be considered underweight. My only idea is that i'm supposed to put up with the belly, bulk, and then lose the fat somehow? idk, someone tell me pls :blink:

Well I'm 113lbs now :cry: I don't really have the strength i did when i was an overweight 180lb or whatever it was which concerns me. Am i supposed to just build my strength back up by going back down to lower weights etc? That'll hurt my ego.

I feel like i've still got a belly but if i lose much more weight i'll be considered underweight. My only idea is that i'm supposed to put up with the belly, bulk, and then lose the fat somehow? idk, someone tell me pls :blink:

When losing weight, especially as radically as you have, you don't only lose fat but also muscle tissue - hence the lack of strength. If I was you, I'd visit GP and ask to be directed to a sports doctor, so they can check your heart, lungs, oxygen consumption, aerobic-anaerobic levels and so on (just to be sure you are OK to commit to strength training and gives you base stats that you can compare later on as you progress and look back!). Being fit and staying fit is a lifestyle not a few months a year struggle before summer and expecting miracles, never going to happen. Otherwise most of the population would be shredded, don't see many around, do you? ;)

You lost fat - you lost muscle, that will decrease your strength so yes, you have to work yourself up again but you've got to do it smart and eat right, sleep right, drink enough water and so on. Without the right amount of food-training-rest you can only dream about getting that physique you're after. You'll just exhaust yourself, resulting in mood swings and even greater strength drop. Do it smart, educate yourself, tons of information out there, ask around in gym, Internet and on, but take everything with moderation because we're all different.

Go see a doctor, educate yourself on eating right and about strength training, there's really no way to summaries basics, you can scroll up and see some pointers given to folks. As you educate yourself, you become more aware, it sparks an interest in you and you're bound to stick to this lifestyle forever, idealistically, which in the long run result in the goals you want to achieve.

• 4 weeks later...

Upped my calories and gained almost 2 stone in a month (146lbs to 168lbs). The downside is that it hasn't been evenly distributed body-wise, got a bit of a belly now lmao; due to this.. my arms are still pretty skinny, despite the gains. Plan to have my first gym session tomorrow, no real goals.. just wanna get to grip with the weights.

r0rP7Dt.png

This guys channel is pretty good..

Upped my calories and gained almost 2 stone in a month (146lbs to 168lbs). The downside is that it hasn't been evenly distributed body-wise, got a bit of a belly now lmao; due to this.. my arms are still pretty skinny, despite the gains. Plan to have my first gym session tomorrow, no real goals.. just wanna get to grip with the weights.

r0rP7Dt.png

This guys channel is pretty good..

easy breezy.

you can take your lampard frustration out at the gym.

On a side note, how the f did you gain +20lbs in a month....

Also, that guy a noob now. 2014 and forward dont watch his videos... Reminds me of dumbass mike change videos.

I would recommend these 3..

https://www.youtube.com/user/JDCav24

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3kbAe8BguiZFnsVYY1oW0w

https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottHermanFitness

easy breezy.

you can take your lampard frustration out at the gym.

On a side note, how the f did you gain +20lbs in a month....

Also, that guy a noob now. 2014 and forward dont watch his videos... Reminds me of dumbass mike change videos.

I would recommend these 3..

https://www.youtube.com/user/JDCav24

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3kbAe8BguiZFnsVYY1oW0w

https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottHermanFitness

I ate every 3 hours basically, wasn't even being that precise with the calorie counting either, and it was a little bit over a month actually.

What do you mean by 'he's a noob now'? lmao, his videos are good, everything is explained in simple terms. Props for the links, will have a look at those channels.

Glad youre making progress but gaining weight is only beneficial if you are following a training routine at the same time, otherwise it will store as body fat. Only been a month, keep up the good work!

Glad youre making progress but gaining weight is only beneficial if you are following a training routine at the same time, otherwise it will store as body fat. Only been a month, keep up the good work!

Props, and yea.. I wanted to gain a bit of weight before, but that plan backfired when it all went to my belly instead of arms, lmao. Will continue the high calorie intake during training though.

Props, and yea.. I wanted to gain a bit of weight before, but that plan backfired when it all went to my belly instead of arms, lmao. Will continue the high calorie intake during training though.

Males store excessive calories in forms of fat in their abdominal region, females in their glutes and thighs, that might be the reason why the fat distribution is not the way you wanted it to be. I strongly advise you not to gain too much excessive weight without actually training, it will not help you much in the gym plus you will need to get rid of it after you've reached your muscle bulk goal, double trouble in that sense. These are just pointers and you can do what you feel is the best for you, your life your body.

• 2 weeks later...

How's gym going everyone? All good? No injures? Working hard? :D

Had my first jogging session few days ago after rupturing one of the tendons in my feet and having 3 weeks of cast, 4 weeks of elastic support bandage and crutches, feels great to again!

How's gym going everyone? All good? No injures? Working hard? :D

Had my first jogging session few days ago after rupturing one of the tendons in my feet and having 3 weeks of cast, 4 weeks of elastic support bandage and crutches, feels great to again!

Ok, apart from general aches, body isn't used to lifting weights yet, I've pretty much been following your routine, minus one of the cardio sessions..

Monday: Legs and shoulders (unusual split but legs are a big muscle group and doing them with chest or back would be very exhausting, I'd be yawning for oxygen 20 minutes into the workout, not worth it. Shoulder exercises give time to rest legs muscles for next sets and the other way around, with shoulders be sure to hit anterior, middle and posterior deltoid muscles.)

Tuesday: Cardio

Wednesday: Chest and triceps (doing chest involves alot of triceps anyway so a good match)

Thursday: Cardio

Friday: Back and biceps (back is a big muscle group aswell, lot of pulling movement tire you out quick, but lot of stuff involve biceps movement so they're a good match)

Weekend: rest, ideally it would be best to move one of the training into weekend but I don't have time to work-out then, so I'm forced to squeeze them into the 5 day window and have rest-days on weekends.

Saved a lot of you and Sinine's advice on my word docs, iphone notes etc.