Oscar

themightyblue

why is he with the team if he's injured?

I mean, he's missing Copa America (thank God for that) because he wouldn't have enough time to recover for the tournament that was weeks away from when he got injured and is a couple of weeks away from now, but he travels with the team to a pointless friendly across the world? I don't understand what is this logic. He's there to offer moral support and pictures proving that Diego Costa used Oscar's age to make an average and convince the world he's 26?

why is he with the team if he's injured?

I mean, he's missing Copa America (thank God for that) because he wouldn't have enough time to recover for the tournament that was weeks away from when he got injured and is a couple of weeks away from now, but he travels with the team to a pointless friendly across the world? I don't understand what is this logic. He's there to offer moral support and pictures proving that Diego Costa used Oscar's age to make an average and convince the world he's 26?

are you looking for a more sophisticated answer than "for marketing purposes"?

'This is where Mourinho has been great for me. He says that I’ve evolved mentally and tactically and he’s right – I’ve learned from him what a No 10 needs to be.

'It’s about coordinating things, analysing the game around you, creating that balance and making things happen.'

Carrick, Oscar and Ramsey embody the value of the selfless midfielder

Something similar can be said of Oscar. While the Brazilian has fallen out of favour under Jose Mourinho, his greatest quality isn't necessarily his ability to play through-balls or produce incredible goals; it is his great tactical skill. This was constantly highlighted by Mourinho last season, and was the reason Oscar became entrusted with big roles at both Chelsea and Brazil at a very young age.

At Chelsea, he made his name by scoring two wonderful goals against Juventus in a Champions League match; in that game he was also doing something more subtle, marking Juve's Andrea Pirlo out of the game. That discipline meant other talented players like Juan Mata and Eden Hazard were allowed more freedom.

For Brazil, Oscar's role at the Confederations Cup of 2013 was fascinating. There, he was fielded as the No. 10 -- but the two primary attackers were actually Neymar and Hulk, located on both sides of the pitch. They were given freedom to come inside, which meant Oscar often had to make reverse runs, providing the balance and maintaining the width. When the ball was lost, he'd do the defensive work of Neymar and Hulk, attempting to recover the ball quickly.

Brazil moved away from this approach for last summer's World Cup, putting Neymar in the central role, while Chelsea have found less use for him this season. But Oscar should re-emerge as a key player next year, primarily because Mourinho loves footballers who will sacrifice themselves for the team.

http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/23/blog/post/2471725/michael-carrick-oscar-aaron-ramsey-selfless-midfielders

What a coincidence.