No need to buy a new Right-back

I understand that everyone is optimistic about Todd Kane, but why is no one mentioning Tomas Kalas? The kid had an amazing season on loan in the Eredivisie. Personally, I rate him much higher.

Because he played CB and not RB. Great prospect though.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the problem is that Ivan is a great defensive right back and bos is a great attacking right back and there is no balance. for example ashley Cole is amazing at both. i think if Roman wants to buy one then why not though if we are smart we could play Ivan in the tougher games then in the easier fixtures play someone like David Luiz there as it gives him a bit more license to roam forward and can still do a good job at the back as we saw through the progression of last season.

RDM tried Luiz at RB for a half last season. It was a disaster lol, he didn't know wtf to do.

Because he played CB and not RB. Great prospect though.

You're right, he was primarily used as a center back for Vitesse, but he is equally competent at RB. Neil Bath, our academy manager, described him as a "right-sided center half who can play right-back". Personally, I think he has the versatility to succeed at both positions.

RDM tried Luiz at RB for a half last season. It was a disaster lol, he didn't know wtf to do.

Yeah but as with any position if he takes that and trains him for it in the summer then it could work. I dont think one half is enough to say he cant play there. obviously we dont know whether it was something they went through in training and he still couldnt do it in which case its fair enough and we will do something else. I would think David would work extra hard to learn it as it would mean a starting place in the team...

Yeah but as with any position if he takes that and trains him for it in the summer then it could work. I dont think one half is enough to say he cant play there. obviously we dont know whether it was something they went through in training and he still couldnt do it in which case its fair enough and we will do something else. I would think David would work extra hard to learn it as it would mean a starting place in the team...

I think Luiz is more suited to DM than RB.

In my opinion, Hutchinson; Kane & Ferreira should be good enough to provide cover for Ivanovic at RB.

I think Luiz is more suited to DM than RB.

In my opinion, Hutchinson; Kane & Ferreira should be good enough to provide cover for Ivanovic at RB.

Yeah i think we have enough cover there too at the moment, just thinking of an alternate option...

\beginRant

We saw Sturridge at Bolton with an amazing loan stint, while our forwards were shit and Carlo didn't give him his opportunity. We paid heavily by not playing him, he proved everyone wrong.

anyone who thinks we missed out by not playing sturridge more is simply a fan and not a student of the game. The kid has great skill and ability but his decision making alone is poisonous to our team's attack. I urge you the next time you watch him play (even better, watch a replay!) to see the other attackers around him get so frustrated with this horrible chemistry that it messes with their attitudes for future plays. Poison.

.. while Bertrand is now undoubtedly the successor to a much better Cole,

I'm quite sick of everyone talking about how ashley cole is the best left back in the world. That's a retired position. Again, anyone closely watching our big games this year will have seen him time and time again, missing marks, getting to his man late, getting blown by 1v1, and thus causing MAJOR goals to be scored against us. The future is bright with the more humble Bertrand.

\endRant

i think the problem is that Ivan is a great defensive right back and bos is a great attacking right back and there is no balance. for example ashley Cole is amazing at both. i think if Roman wants to buy one then why not though if we are smart we could play Ivan in the tougher games then in the easier fixtures play someone like David Luiz there as it gives him a bit more license to roam forward and can still do a good job at the back as we saw through the progression of last season.

i'm sorry, i just can't help myself.....

Bos an amazing attacking right back? Maybe you're just repeating someone else. Look at the goals/crosses Iva has had, look at the goals/crosses Bos has had. When Iva get's that big a$$ of his moving, he's just as good at getting forward as Bos and his end product is unorthodox-ically superior.

Dear Ashley Cole Fans, please retire with Ashley. I love his history at the club, but he has let us down in big ways this season; always just at the peripheral of the camera lens. Despite the announcers' constant massaging his ego, I invite you to really watch him in big games on defense....clearing goals off of lines doesn't count, it's much better to just prevent the attack in the first place.

i'm sorry, i just can't help myself.....

Bos an amazing attacking right back? Maybe you're just repeating someone else. Look at the goals/crosses Iva has had, look at the goals/crosses Bos has had. When Iva get's that big a$$ of his moving, he's just as good at getting forward as Bos and his end product is unorthodox-ically superior.

Dear Ashley Cole Fans, please retire with Ashley. I love his history at the club, but he has let us down in big ways this season; always just at the peripheral of the camera lens. Despite the announcers' constant massaging his ego, I invite you to really watch him in big games on defense....clearing goals off of lines doesn't count, it's much better to just prevent the attack in the first place.

Im sorry, what????? Ashley cole is still one of the best LB's in the world.... I dont know what games you have been watching, but if you had watched the whole champions league campaign in several of the matches he should have been man of the match and not just becuase of goaline clearences.... "Please retire ashley cole".... Am starting to wonder if your actually being serious....

Ashley cole has been one of the solid performers the whole season.... One day the time will come for bertrand to take over but ashley cole has got at least 2 more years of play at the peak of his game.... Im amazed, name me another LB in the prem who covers more ground than him week in week out...

And i am not saying Ivan hasn't scored more goals in fact i am not talking about goals, but Bos roams forward a lot more providing more options up ahead wheras Ivan doesn't roam forward as much... I prefer Ivan alot more than Bos, im not arguing that i am saying they have different styles, but cant do both like ashley. Ivan scored more than Cole yet we dont play him at LB..... being an attacking option doesn't mean you score more, but it forces the defense to move pick up another player, overlaping options etc....

Im sorry, what????? Ashley cole is still one of the best LB's in the world.... I dont know what games you have been watching, but if you had watched the whole champions league campaign in several of the matches he should have been man of the match and not just becuase of goaline clearences.... "Please retire ashley cole".... Am starting to wonder if your actually being serious....

i'm being quite serious. I'm aware I'm being overcritical, but that's only because people keep touting him as the best. Below are the highlights of the Barcelona Match (2-2). You can feel free to watch the whole video, but the first two mistakes I remember clearly, because the second was a goal. Watch him not track back in both cases, in the beginning of the match so fatigue is not an excuse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5OaZxIO8LI&feature=related watch 00:15 and 02:35.

and as always for your viewing pleasure.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXtLZ0bZYUM\

If I had all of the videos at my disposal, and endless time, I'd go on. But I hope you can at least see WHY I get very frustrated. I think he is a FANTASTIC PLAYER, just this going on about his superiority is frustrating.

Do you really need to do post after post after post? There is an edit button you know...

I agree with both sides but so many teams here don't trust the youth nowadays which is a shame but that's the way it is. I don't even know what the state of Hutch's knee is but it don't matter, we're a buying club. The youngsters will all end up in lower divisions to make their way back up.

we can all pick out mistakes of every player not tracking back... I.e. Torres when he was meant to be defending vs barca missed a tackle and kept running forwards, we got it and all of a sudden he was one on one and scored.. Yes he makes mistakes like everyone,... I wasn't saying he was faultless just a response to you saying we should retire ashley cole, he is still an amazing player for us... I can go get a video of his excellent defending to help prove my point if you would like but i feel it wouldnt convince you...

Ashley cole has been one of the solid performers the whole season.... One day the time will come for bertrand to take over but ashley cole has got at least 2 more years of play at the peak of his game.... Im amazed, name me another LB in the prem who covers more ground than him week in week out...

And i am not saying Ivan hasn't scored more goals in fact i am not talking about goals, but Bos roams forward a lot more providing more options up ahead wheras Ivan doesn't roam forward as much... I prefer Ivan alot more than Bos, im not arguing that i am saying they have different styles, but cant do both like ashley. Ivan scored more than Cole yet we dont play him at LB..... being an attacking option doesn't mean you score more, but it forces the defense to move pick up another player, overlaping options etc....

I never said Cole wasn't solid; I'm just talking about this invincibility everyone attaches to him. Why not let Bertrand get more chances in when we just won the Double and Cole doesn't have more than 2 years left in him?

Your argument about Iva scoring more than Cole is irrelevant. I only said that because you said Bos was better going forward. Just because you actually go forward, doesn't mean you're better at it.

i was saying he goes forward more creating more options in an attacking sense, with his pace etc.. wouldnt you agree that although IVAN scores more bos is a more attacking option at RB....? unless its the last 10 seconds and we have a corner...