No need to buy a new Right-back

Just ask yourself this, if Brana was suspended for a semi final in the CL against Madrid, would you be confident in Sam playing?

Nope I would have played Luiz there (not a good decision, but would have dealt the flanks). Or even Cahill (as he played good once he played there for Bolton), or even Essien. All depends on the circumstances.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, then I think we will continue the same harsh story for the youths. Agree with you totally mate, about the loan part. But that deals with a prolonged time. If you keep track of TheChelsOrg.com and their youth handle @chelseayouth on twitter (they can be on here too), then you would read an article by @chelseayouth. There he showed us, all the youths of other teams are flourishing more than ours. Like, Gibbs and Bertrand are of same age, but the latter has flourished more (leave out his injury problems). So other teams are showing more confidence in their youths, than us.

I am not for blocking our youth players, but the truth is at any club very very few of them ever make an impact. There is a real fetishization of potential. You look at the young player of the season-Kyle Walker and he played for years on loan before he was regular at Spurs. Welbeck was on loan for two years. That's the way things are done. Neither Hutichinson or Kane are remotely ready for top football. Go on loan, succeed, and I'll be the first to say that they should get playing time.

Anyone who thinks we need ANY more defenders is insane.

we have 3 cb's and 1 rb who play consistently. that is Nowhere near enough. Hutch and Kane haven't been elevated for a reason and Bruma has been sent back on loan. essien cant cut it at CM, so forget about him playing RB anymore. ramires' pace will be severly under-utilized at RB. we obviously need a right back.

the world is not insane just because it doesn't agree with you

Nope I would have played Luiz there (not a good decision, but would have dealt the flanks). Or even Cahill (as he played good once he played there for Bolton), or even Essien. All depends on the circumstances.

So you'd revert to panic tactics in big matches just to make Kane/Sam feel confident about themselves? Interesting.

@Joker10 - well, ifs don't count, we didn't sign a replacement for Bertrand and that's that, no point in speculating anymore. But the difference is Bertrand had tons of professional games under his belt and it was pretty much clear that he has what it takes to succeed. Same with Sturridge, he went on loan, got actual experience, impressed and now he's reaping his rewards. Sam or Kane can start their professional careers in Carling Cup games or better, on loan, but in big games we'd have to opt for panic tactics if Ivanovic isn't available.

If Bosingwa goes, then I'd rather keep Ferreira for this last year so as not get over our heads in the need for players this summer.

I am not for blocking our youth players, but the truth is at any club very very few of them ever make an impact. There is a real fetishization of potential. You look at the young player of the season-Kyle Walker and he played for years on loan before he was regular at Spurs. Welbeck was on loan for two years. That's the way things are done. Neither Hutichinson or Kane are remotely ready for top football. Go on loan, succeed, and I'll be the first to say that they should get playing time.

Sorry mate, told you I agree with you on this whole stuff. I meant to write that loan part, but missed out. Cheers fella.

So you'd revert to panic tactics in big matches just to make Kane/Sam feel confident about themselves? Interesting.

@Joker10 - well, ifs don't count, we didn't sign a replacement for Bertrand and that's that, no point in speculating anymore. But the difference is Bertrand had tons of professional games under his belt and it was pretty much clear that he has what it takes to succeed. Same with Sturridge, he went on loan, got actual experience, impressed and now he's reaping his rewards. Sam or Kane can start their professional careers in Carling Cup games or better, on loan, but in big games we'd have to opt for panic tactics if Ivanovic isn't available.

If Bosingwa goes, then I'd rather keep Ferreira for this last year so as not get over our heads in the need for players this summer.

Being a Chels for all these years, I don't feel parking the bus (in tactical words, playing an extreme low block) is a panic tactic, sorry. That tactic has won us trophies. But prudence is all that matters in a predicament.

Being a Chels for all these years, I don't feel parking the bus (in tactical words, playing an extreme low block) is a panic tactic, sorry. That tactic has won us trophies. But prudence is all that matters in a predicament.

By panic tactics I mean playing Luiz, Cahill or Essien as full-back.

Disagree. We DEFINITELY need a new right back. Have said this so many times; we can't go into next season with just 2 RBs. Injuries, suspensions and even rotations will come into place. Ferreira is already 33 and we can't expect him to perform well every time when he's being used. Furthermore, when you consider the ban that Terry is gonna get from UEFA and potentially in domestic games, Ivanovic might be shifted to CB if needed and that will leave us without any real option at RB. Should remember that our defence were almost down to bare bones in the last few games in this past season when Luiz and Cahill both got injured.

Disagree. We DEFINITELY need a new right back. Have said this so many times; we can't go into next season with just 2 RBs. Injuries, suspensions and even rotations will come into place. Ferreira is already 33 and we can't expect him to perform well every time when he's being used. Furthermore, when you consider the ban that Terry is gonna get from UEFA and potentially in domestic games, Ivanovic might be shifted to CB if needed and that will leave us without any real option at RB. Should remember that our defence were almost down to bare bones in the last few games in this past season when Luiz and Cahill both got injured.

So who are the ones, you would like to have?

So who are the ones, you would like to have?

For RBs? My first choice would be Azpilicueta from Marseille. Will probably cost only 12m, if you believe reports in January. Van der Wiel is a decent option but defensively, he's like Bosingwa. Maybe he could improve in that department training and playing with better players week in week out, unlike Bosingwa and wouldn't argue too much about it considering it will cost only 8m to get him.

iva(cb and rb)

cahill (cb)

luiz (cb)

terry (cb)

cole(lb)

bertrand (lb)

hutchinson(rb)

and probably a good rb to fill in for iva. he is card nad injury prone and suppose a situation very similar to this time comes up then we cant really rely on hutch to save us. so i think we do need a new rb. not a 20 mil but some1 to just fill in.