Schurrle signing confirmed; will wear #14

This deal is getting weird by the minute. People calling him a winger, but all I see are inside plays!

I might be wrong, because it is not like I watched 20 games of Leverkusen, but all Youtube videos are Schurrle cutting inside. I want a new Moses who can actually cross after a deep play and not some adapted striker...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This deal is getting weird by the minute. People calling him a winger, but all I see are inside plays!

I might be wrong, because it is not lile I watched 20 games of Leverkusen, but all Youtube videos are Schurrle cutting inside. I want a new Moses who can actually cross after a deep play and not some adapted striker...

He is indeed an inside winger.... more of the same.

Im abit nervous to this. I think he would be a good player to add depth to the squad, but 22m for someone who is adding depth is a bit too much. Its hard for me to comment too much as i dont know that much about him. Do people see us using him more as winger than a striker? for 22m you'd expect him to start 75% of games and im not entirely sure wether he would start that many games...

the comments ive read in here suggest that he may not be the kind of player who looks to be starting every game. 22m and KDB on loan is quite a lot. if they are getting KDB on loan, surely we shouldnt have to pay 22m. I'd rather just bring KDB back...

I just don't get it. This is the sort of signing we should be worrying about at the end of summer, as we try to add a little extra depth. We should be starting with what we need desperately; CMs and a quality striker. We can worry about squad players when we've made those signings and know what is left in the budget, and if we're lacking money for more signings just bring back some loan players.

I just don't get it. This is the sort of signing we should be worrying about at the end of summer, as we try to add a little extra depth. We should be starting with what we need desperately; CMs and a quality striker. We can worry about squad players when we've made those signings and know what is left in the budget, and if we're lacking money for more signings just bring back some loan players.

How do you know we haven't started looking at players in other positions? There could be moves in place that are dependent on other teams finishing their seasons, but also on where we finish the season.

This deal might be nearer completion simply because it's one of the few deals that can be completed early, a bit like the Marin deal.

As for the price, Man United signed a winger who has one England cap, no Premier League experience and no Champions League experience for a fee reported to be around £15 million. It's still a lot of money, but after the transfer deals our club has done in the last two years I'm kinda inclined to trust them on this one.

Its one thing to look around at other positions, but obviously we need to go through price negotiations and find out what they'll cost us. Once we have done that, and bought real quality in CM and up front, we can use whatever change we've got left for a squad player to play on the wing. By spending 20m on Schurrle now we're taking 20m away we could use to get much better where we really need it during our main deals this summer. If 20m is left after we've made some great signings, sure, go and buy Schurrle.

It was quite another matter buying Marin for a few mil, as he looked to be a bargain squad player that would immediately address some depth issues. 20m is not throw away money, even in football terms.

I might be wrong, because it is not lile I watched 20 games of Leverkusen, but all Youtube videos are Schurrle cutting inside. I want a new Moses who can actually cross after a deep play and not some adapted striker...

Markel Susaeta

He is better than Sanchez. Alexis is shit this year very frustrated to watch. If Schurle could be on same level as Pedro, that would be brilliant and worth. But Schurle is very uncomplete winger. He cant cross realy and we need one winger to do that. This team has many uncomplete players. Mikel is too slow for dm, Rambo is technicaly too bad for CM, Mata is very weak, Oscar too, Azpi cant cross etc...

I dont want another winger who is not that. If Schurle cant work with and for team, but only cut inside and shoot I dont realy see why we need him for the money. But on the other hand, how many wingers are available realy?

How do you know we haven't started looking at players in other positions? There could be moves in place that are dependent on other teams finishing their seasons, but also on where we finish the season.

This deal might be nearer completion simply because it's one of the few deals that can be completed early, a bit like the Marin deal.

As for the price, Man United signed a winger who has one England cap, no Premier League experience and no Champions League experience for a fee reported to be around £15 million. It's still a lot of money, but after the transfer deals our club has done in the last two years I'm kinda inclined to trust them on this one.

I agree, but when they wanted to sign a winger they didnt go buying a stiker who cuts inside every freaking time...

Mata is a good crosser. i always confuse,,why Di Matteo or even Rafa didn't try him as a pure winger....

1. Mata is better through the middle.

2. Mata does not have burning pace.

3. Mata does not have the acceleration to constantly weave past his man like Hazard or Moses does.

1. Mata is better through the middle.

2. Mata does not have burning pace.

3. Mata does not have the acceleration to constantly weave past his man like Hazard or Moses does.

I would add:

1) Even when Mata is played as a winger, he comes through the middle

2) Mata is terrible defensively which is easier to deal with in the middle of the pitch. On the wings, it isolates the wingback too much.

3) The middle is the most important offensive position in setting up the attack and Mata is our best player for that. Moving him to the wings would de-emphasize his role.

He is better than Sanchez. Alexis is shit this year very frustrated to watch. If Schurle could be on same level as Pedro, that would be brilliant and worth. But Schurle is very uncomplete winger. He cant cross realy and we need one winger to do that. This team has many uncomplete players. Mikel is too slow for dm, Rambo is technicaly too bad for CM, Mata is very weak, Oscar too, Azpi cant cross etc...

I dont want another winger who is not that. If Schurle cant work with and for team, but only cut inside and shoot I dont realy see why we need him for the money. But on the other hand, how many wingers are available realy?

How can you say schurrle is better than sanchez you must be blind. We wanted him for more than 30mil barca wanted him and about every other club! Schurrle does not even attrack that maney teams and he has not got the amount of skills sanchez has. Just because he has had a bad season at the best club in the world does not make a player who has had an ok to average season at leverkusen beter. And you will soon see that the constant shooting from schurrle will be frustating too!

Definitely don't love this signing, but it could be worse. We needed some quality depth in the winger department (only hazard and moses play well there).
I was really hoping to get de bruyne back this season, I had visions of a 4-3-3 with ramires-oscar-de bruyne and mata-lukaku-hazard.

Like that would ever happen anyway...

But even with our 4-2-3-1, I think the team would be a lot better with de bruyne to cover all the AM (he could play on the left, right, or centre with no trouble) and then use the 22 million to put towards a really quality pivot player, like vidal quality or something close, or a towards CB or striker.

I'm sure everyone else has said the same thing pretty much or at least thought it.

We need a striker who can be deployed out wide. He fits the bill

I know he can play a striker role, but he is more of an inside forward, maybe chelsea bought him to bulk up the squad - 6 men for the front 3 (Hazard, Mata, Oscar, Moses, Schurrle, Marin) but thought they would wait until a Manager came in at least

I know he can play a striker role, but he is more of an inside forward, maybe chelsea bought him to bulk up the squad - 6 men for the front 3 (Hazard, Mata, Oscar, Moses, Schurrle, Marin) but thought they would wait until a Manager came in at least

I have my doubts that Marin will be here next season. Would rather we continue with Piazon.