Why Our Champions League Win is the Beginning Not the End of an Era

The general consensus outside of Chelsea is that our Champions League win was a final hurrah for the 'old guard'. The final chapter in a legendary group of players. The end of an era.

In my opinion, this my fellow Chelsea fans, is just the beginning.

Two poor league campaigns, and constant media hype over the age of the squad has masked the job the board have done in quietly reshaping and rebuilding our squad over the past two seasons. A lot of people have questioned when are we going to have the 'big summer' of huge spending to get this squad back on track. We haven't so far required it because we've brought both in the summer and winter transfer windows in each of the last two seasons.

Ramires, David Luiz, Torres, Courtois, Mata, Romeu, Lukaku, Meireles, Cahill, De Bruyne and now Marin. In this time Sturridge and Bertrand have also been integrated to within the first team squad setup. That is 13 players, with a decent blend of youth and experience, be it on the european or domestic stage, but with the oldest being Meireles at 28.

The Champions League win is huge on so many levels for so many reasons but one of the biggest from a longer term outlook is that it has provided the club with a new set of 'winners'. Players such as Lampard, Drogba and Cole had been there before, played under the most intense pressures and come through to win the trophies, but a number of players within our squad hadn't experienced this.

The likes of Cahill and David Luiz have never played on such a big stage and to play so well and win will give them huge confidence as a prominent centre back pairing for many years to come. Even the likes of Ramires and Meireles who were suspended for the final played their parts massively in the pressure cooker of the Nou Camp and also helped win the FA Cup. They will feel as much a part of the success.

Add to this players who were already vastly experienced at this club but still with a number of years in front of them such as Ivanovic, Mikel and amazingly after 8 years, Cech and the club has the spine of a squad that could play together for many years which has already experienced success at the highest level.

Some of the older players can also still play a part over the next couple of seasons assisting the younger players in their roles to effectively take over where they have admirably left off. This summer the club can add 3-4 quality signings in the summer to add to this group of players.

Compare this to if our season had fizzled out. We would be panicking at our fall from grace, thinking we need 7-8 new players but with the FFP restrictions to consider and no Champions League money. A number of the older experienced winners will have left and made it much more difficult for a new group of players who hadn't won anything together to pick things up. You only need to look at our City limped over the line to win the title to know how important experience in such situations is.

With the right additions this summer, and we don't need huge amounts, the Champions League win can be the dawning of a new era at this football club, full of more success and trophies we have become accustomed to winning over the last few years.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will just comment on the title. In an endless cycle an ending of something (an era for ex.) marks a beginning another (in simple words, old evolves into new). So it may be an end of an era, while it can still be the beginning of another. One doesn't exclude the other.

I will just comment on the title. In an endless cycle an ending marks a beginning (in simple words, old evolves into new). So it may be an end of an era, while it can still be the beginning of another. One doesn't exclude the other.

after a long hard journey rest for a while, learn from the experience then set out again.

I will just comment on the title. In an endless cycle an ending of something (an era for ex.) marks a beginning another (in simple words, old evolves into new). So it may be an end of an era, while it can still be the beginning of another. One doesn't exclude the other.

I was about to post the same thing before even reading the article :lol:

Yes, I agree. My point is that people are taking the assumption that there is an end of an era from this, i.e. 2004 - 2012 winning lots of titles and this may well get as good as it can get.

What I'm trying to say is the people have not appreciated the natural evolving of the squad over the last couple of seasons into a younger, fresher squad. With those players having tasted success this season with the FA Cup and more importantly the Champions League I'm saying the 2004-2012 success is only the beginning of an era which could last for many years of massive success for this football club.

Nice post, you should consider adding one or two hundred more words and submitting it as an article :)

I do agree though, it is the end of the Mourinho team. We had 9 out of 18 Mourinho signings on the teamsheet at Munich, it's over for most of them barring Bertrand, Ferreira, Cech, Mikel (and Kalou :))

Nice post, you should consider adding one or two hundred more words and submitting it as an article :)

I do agree though, it is the end of the Mourinho team. We had 9 out of 18 Mourinho signings on the teamsheet at Munich, it's over for most of them barring Bertrand, Ferreira, Cech, Mikel (and Kalou :))

Kalou, Ferreira, Malouda, Essien should depart on a high. Time for change. Let's start the rebuilding process. B)

Kalou, Ferreira, Malouda, Essien should depart on a high. Time for change. Let's start the rebuilding process. B)

Ferreira can't/won't leave he's still got a year to run and no one's going to buy him.

For the record, our CL final squad consisted of the following players, bolded were Jose signings.

Cech

Bosingwa-Cahill-Luiz-Cole

Mikel-Lampard

Kalou-Mata-Bertrand

Drogba

Bench:

Turnbull

Essien

Ferreira

Malouda

Sturridge

Torres

Romeu

5, perhaps 6 Jose players will be staying, which is incredible, it's been 5 years since he left!

9? I think there were 7. Cole, Mikel, Kalou, Drogba, Ferreira, Essien and Malouda.

E: Sorry, 8.. forgot Bertrand. But I doubt he was Mourinho's signing. He was most likely another prospect signed by the board, and I think he never played under TSO.

9? I think there were 7. Cole, Mikel, Kalou, Drogba, Ferreira, Essien and Malouda.

E: Sorry, 8.. forgot Bertrand. But I doubt he was Mourinho's signing.

Both him and Cech were:

Bertrand was signed by Chelsea in July 2005 from Gillingham

Čech agreed a summer move to Chelsea for £7 million, signing a five-year contract, to commence in July 2004

Čech had a trial with Chelsea in 2003. It was Claudio Ranieri, then manager of Chelsea, who decided that Čech was his choice as understudy to Carlo Cudicini.

Bertrand is as much Mourinho's signing as Bamford was AVB's.

Ranieri never worked with him, though, which is why I consider him to be a Jose player.

You stated "Jose signing", he was not signed by Jose. I'm a nitpicking fact freak. And I maintain that Bertrand also was not signed by Mourinho, so there were 7 Jose signings in the match squad, and 8 players who you can call his players (this includes Cech, not Bertrand though, he was forever a loan).

With the departures of Kalou, Malouda, Bosingwa etc, the overall Squad Strength will improve. de bruyne, marin are better rotation options i feel but now, the emphasis must be on getting one or two quality players in. we are in the race for hazard, hulk and moura. wouldn't mind 2 of them here with ramires, marin being the other wingers. sturridge should be pushed up-front as striker

my worry in all this is the CDM position. do we still play 2 CDM's? Mikel and Lampard worked well towards the end of the season but it was too defensive and we invited pressure on to us in many games

With the departures of Kalou, Malouda, Bosingwa etc, the overall Squad Strength will improve. de bruyne, marin are better rotation options i feel but now, the emphasis must be on getting one or two quality players in. we are in the race for hazard, hulk and moura. wouldn't mind 2 of them here with ramires, marin being the other wingers. sturridge should be pushed up-front as striker

my worry in all this is the CDM position. do we still play 2 CDM's? Mikel and Lampard worked well towards the end of the season but it was too defensive and we invited pressure on to us in many games

The pressure was there because we had no pace further up the field if Ramires was missing. There was no outlet. Lets wait and see what we buy this summer, i'm sure we'll strengthen immensely.

Yea feel same, then if we play 4231 Ramires takes a winger spot! And everyone seems to forget that. However if we play 433( don't know how good it is for Torres) but Ramires stays midfield and winger positions played by wingers.

Yea feel same, then if we play 4231 Ramires takes a winger spot! And everyone seems to forget that. However if we play 433( don't know how good it is for Torres) but Ramires stays midfield and winger positions played by wingers.

To get the best out of Mata, who at this current time is our most natural creative player, we must play 4-2-3-1 to play him centrally. He's wasted on the wings.