The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

• 3 weeks later...

Juventus president Andrea Agnelli and rest of club's board resign

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12757630/juventus-president-andrea-agnelli-and-rest-of-clubs-board-resign

Juventus president Andrea Agnelli and vice-president Pavel Nedved have resigned from the club alongside entire board of directors; Serie A club have been accused of false accounting and market manipulation in recent months and recorded record losses; the company has denied any wrongdoing

• 3 weeks later...

Explained: ECJ Super League view is a big blow to Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus

https://theathletic.com/4005104/2022/12/15/ecj-super-league-verdict/

There must be something about December 15 and seismic legal moments in European football’s little world.

Twenty-seven years to the day after the European Court of Justice (ECJ) sided with Jean-Marc Bosman to enable the free movement of players at the end of their contracts, another big decision was delivered in those same Luxembourg courtrooms yesterday morning.

The European Superleague Company, the body behind that ill-fated breakaway in 2021, had been unable to convince the ECJ that UEFA and FIFA were guilty of breaching of EU laws in blocking attempts to start up a rival competition.

The detailed opinion of advocate general Athanasios Rantos is non-binding, but a final ruling, given by a 15-member Grand Chamber of the ECJ in March, is not expected to be notably different.

The Bosman ruling had been all about change in 1995, torching football’s traditions and redistributing powers. This latest ECJ verdict, though, has made it clear that structural reform is not necessary.

It represents a telling blow to Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus, the three clubs that have refused to accept defeat in their attempts to create a new money-spinning super league format.

They can continue fighting, clinging to the notion that a rival to the Champions League can be resurrected, but legal challenges designed to pick apart UEFA’s so-called monopoly have now led them only down a dead end.

The Athletic assesses where it leaves plans for the European Super League and the future of competition organisers UEFA.

How did we end up here, inside a courtroom in Luxembourg?

Right, let us begin on that fateful evening of April 18, 2021. Twelve clubs from England, Spain and Italy had come together to say enough was enough, they would be launching their own European Super League to rival UEFA’s Champions League.

It was an enormously significant moment backed by the majority of Europe’s elite clubs but soon enough, amid a torrent of criticism from all quarters, feet began to get cold. All of those attached to the Premier League (Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool) fell like dominos, before AC Milan, Inter Milan and Atletico Madrid followed suit. Contrition became their only defence.

fan-protest

Only not for the other three. Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus all stuck to their guns, stubbornly insisting the project could overcome the obstacles that stood in their way.

And so began the legal back and forth. The three rebels won a ruling in a Madrid commercial court in April 2021 that decided they could not face the financial punishments that UEFA had proposed, with the governing body later abandoning its disciplinary plans in September last year.

By that time, the Madrid judge had already passed the case on to the ECJ, which was asked to decide if UEFA and FIFA, the two pillars of international football, were breaking EU competition law with their statutes. They could not continue to monopolise the market, it was argued by those demanding change.

The ECJ invited all parties to press their legal arguments in July. The ESL claimed UEFA would never authorise a competitor owing to a conflict of interests, adding that the governing body “ruled with an iron fist”. Claims that UEFA act for the good of grassroots football were also criticised.

UEFA’s legal team, meanwhile, insisted its model was open to all and not the closed shop being proposed with a breakaway competition.

The process, which also heard statements from FIFA and 20 different EU member states in support of UEFA, lasted days and ended with us being asked to ring December 15 on the calendars for a preliminary decision.

So, what was said at the ECJ?

This was Case C-333/21: European Superleague Company (ESLC) v Union de Federaciones Europeas de Futbol (UEFA), with Rantos, a senior Greek judge, asked to give a preliminary view on whether it breached EU competition law for UEFA and FIFA to block the formation of a new competition.

The opinion of Rantos was delivered by colleague Anthony Michael Collins in Spanish for a world to hear through the ECJ’s streaming service shortly after 9am (UK time), and it was outlined that any new competition would still be subject to approval from UEFA and FIFA. Without permission granted, as will never be the case with this guise of a super league, clubs and players could face sanctions.

The big headline came with the confirmation that the “FIFA-UEFA rules under which any new competition is subject to prior approval are compatible with EU competition law”.

The European Model of Sport system, a pyramid open to all, and the roles of the regulating bodies such as UEFA and FIFA, were effectively given backing by Rantos. So long as they do not discriminate against anyone choosing to set up a super league and respond proportionately, they would be on a sound footing. The status quo had a green light.

Rantos added: “While ESLC is free to set up its own independent football competition outside the UEFA and FIFA ecosystem, it cannot, in parallel with the creation of such a competition, continue to participate in the football competitions organised by FIFA and UEFA without the prior authorisation of those federations.”

Then came the fuller take published in its entirety online. It is the length of a novella — more than 19,000 words — but can hardly be considered a page-turner. It runs to 187 points, full of legalese, before reaching its conclusion that UEFA and FIFA did not act in breach of EU competition laws.

In parts, a dim view was taken of those clubs looking to break away. “It would appear that ESLC’s founding clubs want, on the one hand, to benefit from the rights and advantages linked to membership of UEFA, without however being bound by UEFA’s rules and obligations,” it read.

It was a nuanced, comprehensive read, though. There were observations that the rebels would later claim to be heartened by. “UEFA must avoid favouring its own competitions by unjustifiably refusing to authorise competing events,” Rantos wrote.

So, a UEFA win, right?

That’s certainly its interpretation. And it is not alone. UEFA sounded a subtly triumphant note in a statement released soon after the verdict was made public. Its delight, though, was privately made known.

“UEFA warmly welcomes today’s unequivocal opinion recommending a ruling of the (ECJ) in support of our central mission to govern European football, protect the pyramid and develop the game across Europe,” it read.

“UEFA welcomes today’s unequivocal opinion of Rantos, which is an encouraging step towards preserving the existing dynamic and democratic governance structure of the European football pyramid.

“The opinion reinforces the central role of federations in protecting the sport, upholding fundamental principles of sporting merit and open access across our members, as well as uniting football with shared responsibility and solidarity. Football in Europe remains united and steadfastly opposed to the ESL, or any such breakaway proposals, which would threaten the entire European sports ecosystem.”

The European Club Association (ECA), chaired by Paris Saint-Germain president and vocal opponent of the European Super League Nasser Al-Khelaifi, was another to champion the verdict.

“The opinion issued today by the ECJ proposes a clear rejection of the efforts of a few to undermine the foundations and historical heritage of European football for the many,” it said.

Nasser Al-Khelaifi

Football Supporters’ Europe were less diplomatic. “Three clubs continue to cling on to their ill-conceived plan in a strained attempt to save themselves from their own apparent financial mismanagement,” it said.

“Giving even more money and power to a few would be catastrophic, enriching a handful of clubs at the expense of all other levels of the game. It would also destroy important principles such as sporting merit, promotion and relegation, qualification to Europe via domestic success, and financial solidarity.”

Agnelli and Juventus vice president Pavel Nedved resigned along with the entire board on November 29 after accusations emerged of false accounting and market manipulation. The club, who are listed on the Italian stock exchange, have denied any wrongdoing. Juventus, who have failed to reach this season’s Champions League knockout stages, also posted record losses of £220million ($268m). Barcelona, another fading European force, continue to live beyond their means, too.

Real Madrid are the exceptions, still winning Champions League titles and announcing the capture of Brazilian 16-year-old Endrick, but there is dissatisfaction with the current models. The rebellion has been quietened for now but the quest for greater incomes for the elite clubs will not go away.

La Liga, home of both Real Madrid and Barcelona, was another to welcome the verdict, standing alongside the Premier League’s strong voice. “We share the advocate general’s clear view that open access is fundamental to European club football,” it said. A lingering threat had been fended off once more.

What has been the response from those left defeated?

A22 Sports Management, the company formed with the aim of creating the European Super League, grimaced and insisted this battle was not over. Not by a long chalk.

Bernd Reichart, chief executive of A22, said this verdict was merely “one step in an ongoing case” and highlighted the favourable points by Rantos rather than the conclusions he had drawn.

“The advocate general made clear that UEFA has a monopolistic position that comes with important responsibilities for enabling third parties to act freely in the market,” said Reichart.

“However, we believe the 15 judges of the Grand Chamber who are entrusted with the responsibility to examine this case will go substantially further and provide the opportunity for clubs to manage their own destiny in Europe.”

A22, which refuses to state who funds its operations, is having to develop a thick skin. It is only two months since it was granted an audience by UEFA in Nyon and sent away with its tail between its legs by a cast of influential figures.

Reichart is due to appear at a business function in Madrid on Friday morning, with Real Madrid owner Florentino Perez, Barcelona president Joan Laporta and Andrea Agnelli, who resigned as Juventus president last month, also lined up to attend.

What comes next in this interminable saga?

The ECJ’s final verdict is the obvious next step, but Reichart and his allies will need to summon every ounce of optimism to believe it will have any great difference to the one delivered by Rantos.

A22 has always been clear that any decision passed by the ECJ would not mark the end of the war, but there will be an acceptance, privately at least, that attempts to resurrect a super league, the whole point of its being, has become a whole lot harder.

To set up a super league, any club wishing to do so would effectively have to leave the system that has built up their strength. They cannot remain and reap the benefits of the competitions they will eventually choose to leave. Finding clubs brave enough to join Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus for a second time would likely be a fool’s errand.

It all comes back to the ongoing motivations of those three European giants. They have little or no support for their plans to break away and go it alone, but their need for greater incomes does not diminish.

The Dutch Second Division Want To Trial A Host Of New Rules From 2023/24 Season

https://www.sportbible.com/football/the-dutch-second-division-want-to-trial-new-rules-from-202324-season-20220609

Jack Kenmare

Published 9:02, 09 June 2022 BST

The Dutch football association are keen to trial a host of drastic new rule changes in the second tier of Dutch football.

KNVB want to experiment with five 'adjustments' to the game –– throw-ins become kick-ins, a five minute penalty after a yellow card, dribbling at a free kick is allowed, unlimited substitutions and a clear playing time of 2x30 minute halves.

30 minutes ago, KEVINAA said:

The Dutch Second Division Want To Trial A Host Of New Rules From 2023/24 Season

https://www.sportbible.com/football/the-dutch-second-division-want-to-trial-new-rules-from-202324-season-20220609

Jack Kenmare

Published 9:02, 09 June 2022 BST

The Dutch football association are keen to trial a host of drastic new rule changes in the second tier of Dutch football.

KNVB want to experiment with five 'adjustments' to the game –– throw-ins become kick-ins, a five minute penalty after a yellow card, dribbling at a free kick is allowed, unlimited substitutions and a clear playing time of 2x30 minute halves.

So, basically it would be NBA.

2x30 with stopping the clock for every out, set piece, foul etc... is something I wanted for years. It's the best thing. Right now of 90 minutes football game is around 55 minutes of effective play. 3,4 minutes or on this WC 7,8 mins of additional time is bullshit either way and doesn't have any sense. This would also stop time wasting. Not sure about other rules but for this I'm all in. 

Stefano Nava

Probably the most trophy laden (10 major trophies, including European and world championships ) 5 year, 40 game stretch one could hope for

literally won every major club trophy possible (minus the lesser UEFA comps)

He was a backup for players such as Franco Baresi, Paolo Maldini, Mauro Tassotti and Alessandro Costacurta.

f8650b90f7cda60f6c1c3d93589006f8.png

download.jpgStefano-Nava-1990.webpStefano Nava AC Milan Glorie 2011.jpg

15 minutes ago, Hamilton said:

Scott Parker is the new manager of Club Bruges.

https://theathletic.com/4047676/2022/12/31/scott-parker-joins-club-bruges-as-head-coach/

NORWICH, ENGLAND - AUGUST 23: Scott Parker, Manager of AFC Bournemouth looks on prior to the Carabao Cup Second Round match between Norwich City and AFC Bournemouth at Carrow Road on August 23, 2022 in Norwich, England. (Photo by Marc Atkins/Getty Images)

Scott Parker has been appointed as the new head coach of Belgian side Club Brugge.

Parker has been out of work since leaving Bournemouth earlier this season. The former England international had led Bournemouth to promotion from the Championship but left after a 9-0 loss to Liverpool.

The 42-year-old is now taking over at Brugge.

Parker has a solid record as a manager. Aside from his stint in charge of Bournemouth, he also oversaw promotion from the Championship as Fulham manager in 2019-20, winning the play-offs.

He replaces Carl Hoefkens, who took over in the summer. Hoefkens led Brugge to the knockout stages of the Champions League for the first time in the modern era of the competition. However, they are struggling domestically, going out of the Belgian Cup and sitting just fourth in the top flight.

Parker, who played for Charlton, Chelsea, Newcastle, West Ham, Tottenham and Fulham, will be tasked with driving his team up the table over the rest of the season.

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

80 teams (I had 187 when I was including the top few teams from many smaller leagues plus being more generous with the Big 5 and some from their 2nd tier)

I am sure this list has what many will see as large faults (such as including Belgium teams, being too harsh on Italy and Spain, too lenient on Germany, etc) and so will make many spit the dummy

🤪

SL Benfica    
FC Porto   
Sporting CP    

Ajax Amsterdam    
PSV Eindhoven    
Feyenoord Rotterdam    

Club Brugge KV  
KRC Genk   
KAA Gent  

Rangers FC   
Celtic FC      

Fenerbahce   
Galatasaray    
Trabzonspor    
Besiktas JK  

Paris Saint-Germain 
Stade Rennais FC  
AS Monaco   
Olympique Marseille   
OGC Nice   
Olympique Lyon   
LOSC Lille    
RC Lens   
FC Nantes  
Montpellier HSC   

Bayern Munich   
Borussia Dortmund  
RB Leipzig 
Bayer 04 Leverkusen 
Eintracht Frankfurt
Borussia Mönchengladbach
VfL Wolfsburg  
TSG 1899 Hoffenheim 
SC Freiburg 
VfB Stuttgart
1.FC Union Berlin
Hertha BSC  
SV Werder Bremen  
FC Schalke 04 
Hamburger SV

AC Milan    
Inter Milan  
SSC Napoli   
Juventus FC   
AS Roma 
Atalanta BC
SS Lazio   
ACF Fiorentina 
Torino FC       
UC Sampdoria  
Genoa CFC    

Real Madrid   
FC Barcelona    
Atlético de Madrid   
Real Sociedad  
Villarreal CF   
Real Betis Balompié  
Valencia CF   
Sevilla FC  
Athletic Bilbao   
RCD Espanyol Barcelona    

Manchester City
Chelsea FC    
Liverpool FC 
Arsenal FC  
Manchester United 
Tottenham Hotspur
Newcastle United  
West Ham United 
Leicester City 
Aston Villa  
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Everton FC 
Nottingham Forest
Crystal Palace
Brighton & Hove Albion
Brentford FC   
Leeds United  
Fulham FC 
Southampton

Proud Gay GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

‘I no longer want to hide’: Jakub Jankto, Czech international, comes out as gay

• Highest-profile current male footballer to come out
  • ‘I want to live my life in freedom without fear’

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/feb/13/jakub-jankto-czech-footballer-comes-out-as-gay

Czech international midfielder Jakub Jankto announces he is gay - 'I no  longer want to hide'

Jakub Jankto, the Czech Republic international and Getafe midfielder on loan at Sparta Prague, has come out as gay. The 27-year-old is the highest-profile current male footballer to publicly come out after Josh Cavallo of Adelaide United and Jake Daniels of Blackpool revealed their sexuality in 2021 and 2022 respectively.

“Hi, I’m Jakub Jankto,” he said in a video published on Twitter. “Like everybody else, I have my strengths, I have my weaknesses; I have a family, I have my friends.

“I have a job, which I have been doing it as best as I can, for years, with seriousness, professionalism and passion. Like everybody else, I also want to live my life in freedom without fears, without prejudice, without violence, but with love.

“I am homosexual, and I no longer want to hide myself.”

Sparta Prague released a statement in support of Jankto’s decision to come out: “Jakub spoke openly about his sexual orientation with the club some time ago. Everything else concerns his personal life. No further comments. No more questions. You have our support. Live your life, Jakub. Nothing else matters.”

The official Premier League Twitter account replied to Jankto’s message by posting: “We’re with you, Jakub. Football is for everyone”, while Fifpro, the global union for players, tweeted “Live your life, Jakub. Proud” along with a heart emoji.

Edited by Vesper