Fisty Cuffs At Training.....

chelseapaul

Article from The Sun:

JOHN TERRY and Chelsea coach Henk ten Cate had to be pulled apart by stunned Blues players after a furious training ground bust-up.

The ugly confrontation — just 24 hours before Chelsea’s Carling Cup final defeat by Tottenham — was watched by shocked owner Roman Abramovich.

Eye witnesses saw Ten Cate aggressively face up to skipper Terry during Saturday’s session.

The pair went head to head, hurling a tirade of swear words and insults as players dived in to separate them.

I understand Terry had not been told whether he would be in the team to face Spurs and feared he might lose out.

TEN CATE ... insults

He was so incensed by the bust-up he refused to accept Ten Cate’s offer of an apology.

One witness told SunSport: “The session was supposed to put the finishing touches to the final plans for Wembley — but it just descended into a massive row.

“All the players have become exasperated by the shambolic nature of some of the recent training sessions.

“And there was a lot of unrest among the squad because no one knew what the team was going to be for Wembley.

“Everyone was trying to guess what was going on and in the end the frustration became too much. But the intensity of the row took everyone by surprise.

“John and Ten Cate were right in each other’s faces and when it became clear that neither was going to back down, other players jumped between them to pull them apart.

“To make matters worse, Mr Abramovich was visiting the training ground and saw the whole thing.”

It is not the first time Dutchman Ten Cate has ruffled a few feathers with his abrasive nature since being appointed assistant first-team coach last October.

Another Article:

AVRAM GRANT is facing widespread discontent among his Chelsea players in the wake of their Carling Cup final defeat.

SunSport can reveal several senior stars are extremely unhappy with the preparations for Sunday’s Wembley match and feel it contributed to them losing to Tottenham.

Incredibly, Blues boss Grant:

Did NO training with his starting XI beforehand for fear of giving away his team selection.

Announced his team just TWO hours before kick-off, leaving players very little time to prepare themselves mentally.

Told Ashley Cole he was dropped AFTER the England left-back had read it in Saturday morning’s Sun and confronted him about it.

The Chelsea squad were also shocked to see Roman Abramovich attend training sessions for three days before the final.

Such intense interest from the Russian owner is unprecedented and has raised questions among the playing staff about Abramovich’s influence in picking the team.

Bust-up

Grant’s refusal to give anything away on his starting line-up even extended to skipper John Terry, who was kept waiting until Saturday night before finally being told he would start.

Terry’s frustration at being kept in the dark spilled over into a bust-up with coach Henk Ten Cate during training on Saturday.

The Dutchman has a reputation for being provocative and has antagonised several players since arriving at Chelsea last year.

Players had to step in and defuse the confrontation.

Only Petr Cech and Frank Lampard knew they were certain to play before Terry also got the nod.

Ashley Cole turned up at training on Saturday morning, having already read in SunSport that he was dropped.

It is understood he went to the manager to ask if it was true.

Grant confirmed it, leaving the defender angry. He failed to turn up at the team hotel and was dropped from the 16-man squad, although he did attend the game.

Sources have described the atmosphere at the Chelsea team hotel as ‘seething with tension’.

Grant’s approach to the biggest match since taking charge is in stark contrast to the way Jose Mourinho prepared for such games.

Mourinho was precise in every detail and would spend FIVE days training with his preferred line-up preparing them for every possible situation.

Grant, however, leaves the majority of coaching to assistant Steve Clarke, while he and Ten Cate look on.

That method has left the players feeling detached from the manager.

Worse, the bond between manager and players, which drove Chelsea to five trophies in three years under Mourinho, no longer exists.

That much was evident on Sunday as the Blues tasted final defeat for the first time since Abramovich bought the club.

Chelsea are still competing for three other trophies and Terry has warned that they cannot afford to mope over the weekend’s disappointment.

He said: “We have to pick ourselves up now. It’s hard, it’s the last thing the players want to hear but we need to — we’re still in three massive competitions.

"The Premier League is not over. We go to West Ham on Saturday, have got the Champions League after that and the FA Cup after that.

LOSERS ... John Terry and Chelsea players

“It’s all coming around very quickly. We can either dwell on this loss and end up getting knocked out of another competition or we take this defeat on the chin, pick ourselves up and go again.”

Asked about Grant’s record against big teams — he has yet to beat Manchester United, Arsenal or Liverpool — Terry ducked the question.

Instead, he said: “The determination and passion is still there among all the lads. They hate losing, whether it’s in a small game or a big game.”

It is not the players’ ability to win trophies which is being questioned, however.

It is Avram Grant’s.

And it is a question now being asked by his own players.

Sorry about the cut and paste job.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously the media are going to milk this, but there must be tension around at the moment, and as long as Grant remains hovering, brooding, doing fuck all, it will escalate.

To me it is tragic that there is a huge well of talent not being utilised to its potential. We need more cohesiveness as a team, and more will unravel unless a top unifying coach is brought in

Terry should've shoved a cone up Ten Cate's arse and told Grant to go play with it.

What the bloody hell is going on at Chelsea ffs? Does Roman really think this sort of in-house brawling is any better in the press than the odd bit of controversy from Jose? Add to that the defeat in the final, which is something else Jose didnt go in for, and his decision in the summer is looking more bloody ridiculous by the day.

I find it hard to believe the story written as it is. There may have been some sort of disagreement but certainly not a "Bust Up" as the papers are writing it. The dead giveaway is that every paper has a different "inside source" and each of them has a different version of the story....

I find it hard to believe the story written as it is. There may have been some sort of disagreement but certainly not a "Bust Up" as the papers are writing it. The dead giveaway is that every paper has a different "inside source" and each of them has a different version of the story....

Didnt we all say the same thing about all the stories last year though?

Didnt we all say the same thing about all the stories last year though?

Yes, and some of the stories then were quite ridiculous too! Just because in the end Jose DID leave doesn't mean those stories were true....

I always view stories printed in the papers which whole basis of fact is "a club source" or "a club insider" with massive distrust! It was more likely that there was a it of a disagreemnt which was nothing and the papers blow it up to WW3....

Yes, and some of the stories then were quite ridiculous too! Just because in the end Jose DID leave doesn't mean those stories were true....

I always view stories printed in the papers which whole basis of fact is "a club source" or "a club insider" with massive distrust! It was more likely that there was a it of a disagreemnt which was nothing and the papers blow it up to WW3....

But its also come out that there was a lot of truth in the stories as well, there's no smoke without fire and all that. Its been on SSN all day as well and its yet to be denied by the club. Im not saying it hasnt been exaggerated, but something's happened for the story to break in the first place.

unfortunately its true!!!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3202832,00.html

Henk ten Cate admits he experienced an 'F-word' row with Chelsea captain John Terry prior to the Carling Cup final.

The Dutch coach, who joined Chelsea manager Avram Grant's backroom staff in October after leaving Ajax, has confirmed reports he endured a training ground bust-up with Terry.

Ten Cate confesses that he and Terry had a difference of opinion regarding the 'intensity' of a Blues training session in the build-up to Sunday's 2-1 Wembley defeat to Tottenham.

The defeat has heaped pressure on Chelsea's managerial staff and Ten Cate's confirmation of the dispute with club skipper Terry will not help the cause.

Emotion

However, Ten Cate insists the falling out will have no lasting impact and that he and Terry 'get on well'.

"We are both kind of emotional, but we respect each other fully," Ten Cate told The Sun.

"We just had a discussion about the intensity of the training session. That's a normal part of the game. There have been a few F-words, no doubt. But that's common in England."

Grant's team selection policy at the weekend has been questioned after Chelsea stars Joe Cole and Michael Ballack began the game on the bench.

Special tension

And Ten Cate has confirmed that there was a tension in the Blues' camp before the final.

"There was a special tension on Saturday," Ten Cate is quoted as saying on Dutch newspaper AD's website.

"We have 27 players and three keepers but only a few of them could play.

"John wanted to have even more intensity in training but I didn't agree as we were just one day before the match. That was all. Me and John get on well. John won't disagree."

Esk, you never, ever cease to amaze me, Your garden must indeed be permanently rosy.

I take it you dont like the smell of coffee then? :lol:

Esk, you never, ever cease to amaze me, Your garden must indeed be permanently rosy.

I take it you dont like the smell of coffee then? :lol:

Just because i am not happy with the current situation doesn't mean i have to automatically start believing all the garbage written in the papers as gospel! Ten Cate commenting today saying pretty much what i said, a bit of a disagreement but not as bad as made out!

And my garden is very nice actually thanks :)

They couldn't deny anything because there was a fucking stadium tour going onat the time :)

There is clearly unrest -with players having an emotional bond with Clarke, Ten cates the disciplinarian, and Grant 'the boss', scratching his head in the back ground.

No wonder the players are confused.

They couldn't deny anything because there was a fucking stadium tour going onat the time :)

Can't make up my mind whether I think its embarrassing or just bloody funny. I'd have loved a ringside seat though.

I guess we were warned about Ten Cate's temper at the start, so this isnt really so surprising. As long as it doesnt become too much of a regular occurrence it might not be such a bad thing. For a start it might sort out the attitude of any big time Charlie's and if nothing else, it shows Ten Cate's got a bit of fire in his belly - gotta be better than the mumbling retard dribbling his way through a training session.

Can't make up my mind whether I think its embarrassing or just bloody funny. I'd have loved a ringside seat though.

I guess we were warned about Ten Cate's temper at the start, so this isnt really so surprising. As long as it doesnt become too much of a regular occurrence it might not be such a bad thing. For a start it might sort out the attitude of any big time Charlie's and if nothing else, it shows Ten Cate's got a bit of fire in his belly - gotta be better than the mumbling retard dribbling his way through a training session.

Not very nice to talk about SWP like that.

I think its funny, it's probably on some Japs digicam somewhere. To be honest it's good to have Ten Cates being a bit of a disciplinarian, no player is going to be chastised by Grant, lets face it. I think him and Clarke could be a good team.