Depression

Steve

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can delete them if you want.

I will message you if I start regretting making those posts, I usually do at some point :P I somewhy feel guilt talking about myself, as if I'm the important one who everyone needs to pay attention to. It's not like that, I have those surges when I keep blabbing on and on and when I stop and reflect on what I said I start regretting.

I don't think I'll be going in depth with this. All I have to do is accept myself for who I am, knowing that I might be highly sensitive won't make a difference. In fact I know I overthink and sometimes blow things out of proportion. I'm trying to deal with that how dumps described in his next post. Actually it's not exactly "dealing with it", it's just a method to calm myself down.

Yes, I sometimes do it. There was a person who reasoned with me and tried to calm me down whenever I was seeing things too negatively (she now ignores me because apparently I influence here in a bad way with my negativity). Thanks to that I sometimes try to calm myself down and think through more positive scenarios like you described. I've gone to one interview which I thought I did fine in, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I never got any offer though, but whatever. Then I've been to 2 test days (short interviews with practical work to get a sense of what I'll be doing). First test day went to shit and in second one, which was fairly recently, I kept noticing all the negative things and convinced myself out of it. I rejected their offer. I cannot make friends like that because I do my best to avoid people. I also don't want anyone new, I want my old friend back. I know it's not possible, but this is the situation and it's not gonna change. I guess I'm too stuck in the past.

Also, I must remind myself that I'm using a known username here. My family knows I'm a fan of Chelsea and they know what username I usually use, so it's a risk writing all that stuff here. I might ask staff to remove my posts after some time like I did before. I just don't want the risk of being exposed. I do appreciate your answers though, all of you.

Thats totally understandable. i dont know your relationship with your family and what not, but its not a bad idea letting someone close to you know about it.

of course its down to you to judge who you want to tell or even if you want to tell them, but im sure they will udnerstand and just be there to support you. even if they dont understand it wont end in a bad way. my partners dad has a pretty old fashion approach to things and just doesnt understand depression. he thinks its just being a bit upset about something. that obviously was annoying to my partner and she just didnt talk to him about it and he didnt try getting too involved as he didnt know much about it.

i would advise telling someone close to you though that you can talk to. its always good to have support.

with the interview things though, atleast you know you can get to those points, and when you are ready you can do it again and take it even further, thats where i think the support of someone can come in really handy.

im going to sleep now, gotta meet with my tutor and get my ass handed to me. cant wait!

I'm so cripplingly depressed.

Spike, have you talked to a health care professional? Your family? Please do, this is not something that you need to do on your own.

I am thinking about you and I admit a little worried.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spike, have you talked to a health care professional? Your family? Please do, this is not something that you need to do on your own.

Yeah, I've talked to a lot people by nothing vet changes.

Yeah, I've talked to a lot people by nothing vet changes.

Keep at it, some one will listen. If not keep talking here. But don't lose hope!! ((Hugs))

@dumps, so how did it go with the tutor?

yeah it was good. all friendly chat. she wasnt angry like her comments were. as soon as i walked in she was all "oh hey, hope you werent frightened by all the comments" to which i replied "I cried myself to sleep" that got a laugh and it was all jokes and games from there onwards.

got some good info. it was a success. got a fucking tit load of work to do though and i dont know how im going to find the motivation to do it >.<

Holy shit, reading this is just like reading about myself. But since every fifth person is highly sensitive, then I suppose it's normal.I've been unemployed for a looong time now because I can't handle being in foreign environment around strangers. I get anxious and scared. Once I literally ran away from a test day. This really sucks because I can't live like that. When I think about this situation I feel totally helpless. At the same time I am convinced there is nothing wrong with me and I'm making it all up in my head as an excuse to being just plain lazy.

Hey Manpe. There are a lot of different schools of psychologists out there. Unfortunately there is a lot of non evidence based therapy going on as well (eg psychoanalysis). If I hear your - though very limited - explanation, I think a good cognitive behavioral psychologist is what would help you (they use evidence based protocols that work wonderson anxiety). Btw, the succes rate for dealing with anxiety like that is 80 % on latest studies.

Just some thoughts for you, my friend!

Hey Manpe. There are a lot of different schools of psychologists out there. Unfortunately there is a lot of non evidence based therapy going on as well (eg psychoanalysis). If I hear your - though very limited - explanation, I think a good cognitive behavioral psychologist is what would help you (they use evidence based protocols that work wonderson anxiety). Btw, the succes rate for dealing with anxiety like that is 80 % on latest studies.

Just some thoughts for you, my friend!

Can you be more specific about this cognitive whatever. Like, bring concrete examples what a psychologist would do. What are the steps and bring an example to every step, if you can. I've thought a million times what a psychologist could tell/do to me, and I can't imagine any of it working. Yeah you use those fancy words like cognitive behavioral therapy and evidence based protocols and whatnot, but in essence everything comes down to talking and advising, doesn't it? Which is what they all do I presume.

My first encounter with a psychiatrist (not a psychologist, I know, but still) was in February at the army medical evaluation procedure. It was my first contact with one and I sort of was looking forward to it to get an impression what it would be like, since you know, I wouldn't go voluntarily. Anyway, his main advice to me was to start eating in a soup kitchen. Like what the actual fuck? In that instant I decided he was an idiot. He did have some point though - eating in a soup kitchen would save me money, which would allow me to buy more healthy food, which would improve my mood. Then he advised me to move more, go outside more, eat better, find a job. So basically he did fuck all. I know it wasn't his job to start helping me, he only needed to assess whether I had any loose screws or not, but this visit still left a bad taste in my mouth. In a couple of minutes he couldn't even remember who I was anymore.

So yes, I would very much be interested in how they work. I don't care about this general bullshit like "they do tests and then assemble a plan according to your needs and bla bla", it says nothing.

Can you be more specific about this cognitive whatever. Like, bring concrete examples what a psychologist would do. What are the steps and bring an example to every step, if you can. I've thought a million times what a psychologist could tell/do to me, and I can't imagine any of it working. Yeah you use those fancy words like cognitive behavioral therapy and evidence based protocols and whatnot, but in essence everything comes down to talking and advising, doesn't it? Which is what they all do I presume.

My first encounter with a psychiatrist (not a psychologist, I know, but still) was in February at the army medical evaluation procedure. It was my first contact with one and I sort of was looking forward to it to get an impression what it would be like, since you know, I wouldn't go voluntarily. Anyway, his main advice to me was to start eating in a soup kitchen. Like what the actual fuck? In that instant I decided he was an idiot. He did have some point though - eating in a soup kitchen would save me money, which would allow me to buy more healthy food, which would improve my mood. Then he advised me to move more, go outside more, eat better, find a job. So basically he did fuck all. I know it wasn't his job to start helping me, he only needed to assess whether I had any loose screws or not, but this visit still left a bad taste in my mouth. In a couple of minutes he couldn't even remember who I was anymore.

So yes, I would very much be interested in how they work. I don't care about this general bullshit like "they do tests and then assemble a plan according to your needs and bla bla", it says nothing.

Ok! I will explain later when I get home, ok?

• 1 month later...

Is it possible for a human to commit voluntary suicide without suffering from depression or any other form of mental disorder?

Yep, as far as I know in Switzerland, in the Dignitas hospital. You have to suffer from a incurable disease though.