Depression

Steve

My mother has worked with the mentally ill since I was very young so I have seen every concievable type of personality and mood disorder there is. I think that we are brought up to generally think of seeking help for mood or mental problems to be worse then seeking help for health problems. It is horrible the way we stigmatize people who have these issues. Depression is a problem that effects millions of people some for just a few months or years and some for decades or their entire lives. Not everyone who has depression is bipolar.

Most societies need to move away from making people feel guilty or ashamed of seeking help for depression. I think that is doubly true for men. I believe that men don't get the same treatment when they struggle as women do or the same attention. If a women says she is struggling or not coping, I think a doctor is more likely to listen than if a man says it but I also think a woman is more likely to say it.

When I lost my sisters and niece in 2002, I didn't even realize that it was depression but I did know that I wasn't sleeping and wasn't responding to things as I ought too. So, I think the key is to know when you see change in yourself and tell your doctor or trust in those close to you when they tell you they are seeing major changes so you can get help. It isn't always possible to get past it on your own.

Steve, hang in there and get the treatment or keep talking to those around you and it will get better. I promise. Manpe... talk to someone... anyone... :) and remember I love you both

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, hang in there and get the treatment or keep talking to those around you and it will get better. I promise. Manpe... talk to someone... anyone... :) and remember I love you both

I actually saw my doctor the other day, and she said i'm going good enough to slowly come of my medication :) Pretty happy with that. That was the first time I saw her since i have been back from overseas and she said to me she cannot believe my improvement!

Thank you for your message!

• 1 year later...

there is no need to feel shame about depression . It is an illness just like arthritus or pneumonia or cancer. The problem is how others perceive it.

Say you are depressed and people will tell you to take a grip .. The medical profession are little better ,,either ignore it or just give out drugs.

Im lucky Im rarely depressed but have two very close to me who suffer,

there is no need to feel shame about depression . It is an illness just like arthritus or pneumonia or cancer. The problem is how others perceive it.

Say you are depressed and people will tell you to take a grip .. The medical profession are little better ,,either ignore it or just give out drugs.

Im lucky Im rarely depressed but have two very close to me who suffer,

It really is not, there is no comparisson!

I think you can view it as leprosy and aids, due to the fact it gets people away from you, but not like pneumonia. IMO.

I'll give a little update on my situation. I honestly have come a long way but I have had my bad patches along the way. I am actually in one of them at the moment where I cannot find a positive in anything but I keep fighting (Rafa is not helping, i'll be honest). I am off the medication I was taking and am glad I am some what stable with out it because It makes me feel as if I am making progress even though it's at a very slow rate.

I want too tell people on this forum not to be ashamed about having depression. It's not really something that an individual can change. You can say to yourself I will be happy today but it's a chemical imbalance in your brain that one cannot prevent unfortunately. This is the reason so much study goes into depression every day because it's a big disorder that effects so many people.

If you're strong enough to come out and tell people (everyone can do it), think about it like this. That's one massive step I just made to having a better life!

If you feel the need to send me a message I will give you as much advice as I can in what's helped me and what hasn't.

I'll give a little update on my situation. I honestly have come a long way but I have had my bad patches along the way. I am actually in one of them at the moment where I cannot find a positive in anything but I keep fighting (Rafa is not helping, i'll be honest). I am off the medication I was taking and am glad I am some what stable with out it because It makes me feel as if I am making progress even though it's at a very slow rate.

I want too tell people on this forum not to be ashamed about having depression. It's not really something that an individual can change. You can say to yourself I will be happy today but it's a chemical imbalance in your brain that one cannot prevent unfortunately. This is the reason so much study goes into depression every day because it's a big disorder that effects so many people.

If you're strong enough to come out and tell people (everyone can do it), think about it like this. That's one massive step I just made to having a better life!

If you feel the need to send me a message I will give you as much advice as I can in what's helped me and what hasn't.

I think a lot of us have had depression. They key is finding the thing that get you out of it. For me, when I used to get depressed, it'd lead into this cycle of not being social and isolating myself which would then get me more depressed. Now, if I feel down, I make sure to meet up with close friends and just go out for a night and not think. Works very well for me but everyone has their own keys. (sometimes, one does need medication)

It really is not, there is no comparisson!

I think you can view it as leprosy and aids, due to the fact it gets people away from you, but not like pneumonia. IMO.

you have missed my point completely ,,,most people are sympathetic to what are classed as illnesses but not to depression which I believe is an illness which

needs both treatment and understanding

you have missed my point completely ,,,most people are sympathetic to what are classed as illnesses but not to depression which I believe is an illness which

needs both treatment and understanding

I did get that, it is exactly why I said it is not compared to cancer or anything similar.

Most people just go, "huh, cant even face his problems" and stay away from whoever says they have depression. When they have AIDS it is the same reaction. However, when someone has cancer, they receive immense support.

The first two diseases are just as dangerous and society prejudice on it only makes them worse!

I think a lot of us have had depression. They key is finding the thing that get you out of it. For me, when I used to get depressed, it'd lead into this cycle of not being social and isolating myself which would then get me more depressed. Now, if I feel down, I make sure to meet up with close friends and just go out for a night and not think. Works very well for me but everyone has their own keys. (sometimes, one does need medication)

THIS. I second this. That's exactly how it is for me.

I did get that, it is exactly why I said it is not compared to cancer or anything similar.

Most people just go, "huh, cant even face his problems" and stay away from whoever says they have depression. When they have AIDS it is the same reaction. However, when someone has cancer, they receive immense support.

The first two diseases are just as dangerous and society prejudice on it only makes them worse!

I disagree I think if you have a good support group around you then they will not run away if you have a problem and if anything they will be there for you.

I disagree I think if you have a good support group around you then they will not run away if you have a problem and if anything they will be there for you.

Not what I said. Friends will stick with you no matter what...

I am talking about general people, they do get away! My colleague at school became HIV positive and I can tell she got almost forgotten in parties, etc. Depression (at least in Brazil) has the same prejudice.

P.S: I would never have guessed you had unhappy moments in your life man, you seem a really cool dude who wouldnt suffer like this. I am just proud you overcame it and had the courage to post it. :)

Not what I said. Friends will stick with you no matter what...

I am talking about general people, they do get away! My colleague at school became HIV positive and I can tell she got almost forgotten in parties, etc. Depression (at least in Brazil) has the same prejudice.

P.S: I would never have guessed you had unhappy moments in your life man, you seem a really cool dude who wouldnt suffer like this. I am just proud you overcame it and had the courage to post it. :)

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. Yes alot of people say this to me. When I go out im generally so happy and when I tell people no one believes me. But the sad reality is I have these problems that I fight every day.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. Yes alot of people say this to me. When I go out im generally so happy and when I tell people no one believes me. But the sad reality is I have these problems that I fight every day.

No problem.

It will seem really, really vague and pointless but just be happy! :D

It means "Let life take me, take me life!". He start by talking about how he has to live with the two different personalities (the public singer figure and the private family guy) and how it has changed him over the course of his life. :)

The thing with HIV is that ignorant ass people think it's contagious, when in reality it's actually difficult to get HIV. For example you have to swallow many buckets of saliva to even have a slim chance of getting infected. There's no chance of getting it by touching, kissing or even drinking from the same bottle as the infected person.

I don't know why depression has the same effect, I'm not familiar with this prejudice tbh. I presume it's because depressed people are considered to be no fun to be around with and will drag the mood down, or they are afraid of hurting their feelings even more, or they think they need to be alone or something... I don't know. I don't think there are dumbasses who think it's contagious, are there?

The thing with HIV is that ignorant ass people think it's contagious, when in reality it's actually difficult to get HIV. For example you have to swallow many buckets of saliva to even have a chance of getting infected. There's no chance of getting it by touching, kissing or even drinking from the same bottle as the infected person.

I don't know why depression has the same effect, I'm not familiar with this prejudice tbh. I presume it's because depressed people are considered to be no fun to be around with and will drag the mood down, or they are afraid of hurting their feelings even more, or they think they need to be alone or something... I don't know. I don't think there are dumbasses who think it's contagious, are there?

Well, I guess I expressed myself really bad. No one thinks it is contagious, people just dont like it and they get away from you. Just like gay people, nobody thinks it is contagious, lol. However, they will stay away from you!

It was like this in my high school though, I am talking about what I have seen. I cant complain because I had a pretty amazing high school, but it still bothers me even if it doesnt affect me personally!