Dries Mertens

Atholy

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In just about every team he played they said he was too small ... He always performs, even in the NT he is one of the strongholders. Just look how he ripped the holland NT a new a-hole a while ago :-)

I would not bet against him succeeding in the pl. he will play here (pl) anyway next year I think!

In just about every team he played they said he was too small ... He always performs, even in the NT he is one of the strongholders. Just look how he ripped the holland NT a new a-hole a while ago :-)

I would not bet against him succeeding in the pl. he will play here (pl) anyway next year I think!

Well, you might have something there but when I see most of these smaller players in PL being bounced off the ball, I am not certain about him. Having said that, I wish him much luck.

Personally, I like to see Chelsea buying a bit bigger players though built like Essien, Kompany for example.

Well, you might have something there but when I see most of these smaller players in PL being bounced off the ball, I am not certain about him. Having said that, I wish him much luck.

Personally, I like to see Chelsea buying a bit bigger players though built like Essien, Kompany for example.

Mr Bushman I can feel what you're saying.

The PL has the image of having very though defenders who will push every small attacker over and leave them no chance. But then yet again you have some guys that prove this stereotype wrong. We have a history of Robben, SWP, Cole, Mata & Hazard. Also let's not forget that one of the greatest ever Chelsea Legends was also only 5ft6in or 168cm tall = Zola

So I would say there is place for small players in de EPL ... BUT they have the be smart and very VERY good :)

Dries is just an exceptional player. Amazing strike, good dribble and can be a real game changer. Even in our so talented National Squad he has proved to be the guy who can change the game as soon as he gets on the pitch. As a fan of both Chelsea & the Belgian National Squad... you would love to see all our exceptional talents sign for Chelsea. You just want them to join the team you support. I think @Stingray + @Hamilton must feel the same. He will come to the EPL anyways... and I'm afraid Liverpool is in pole position of getting him this summer. I also don't like to see Mirallas sign for Everton when I know he's also a really brilliant talent.

But on the other hand... we cannot just pack the whole lockerroom with Belgians :)! And we have to admit... with Lukaku, Courtois, KDB, Hazard & especially Charly Musonda Jr. we already have a lot of Belgian talent on board!!!

for those who don't know Dries Mertens:

@atholy,

for me to post that I´d like to see the whole Belgium team at Chelsea was just a little quip. It´s obvious for us all.

AS for your smaller players. There are exceptions, see Zola but nevertheless overall I still would like to see several ogres in the midfield. Fellaini comes to my mind immediately, he would suffice.

@atholy,

for me to post that I´d like to see the whole Belgium team at Chelsea was just a little quip. It´s obvious for us all.

AS for your smaller players. There are exceptions, see Zola but nevertheless overall I still would like to see several ogres in the midfield. Fellaini comes to my mind immediately, he would suffice.

Lol @fellaini the ogre !!

I'm not convinced about Dries Mertens. No where near the potential of Hazard or even Kevin Mirallas imo. Is a nice squad player for the Belgian team, but will never amount to the greatness of Robben or Mata. Playing winger is difficult: you have to create. While there are a great deal of nimble players for that position, only a few really excell - and this is one thing that sepparates good teams from great teams. So if you want to compete with Barcelona and Real Madrid etcetera, you need wingers who are as good as CR7, Di Maria, Pedro, A. Sanchez and so on...

I don't agree. The taste of the pudding is in the eating and Dries' pudding has always been delicious, so to speak. He creates, scores and is always there when we need him. He has not reached his ceiling yet, so I will be very curious to see him play in the PL next year (but NOT F*** Liverpool!!!!)

All the rest is guessing and conjecture. I just enjoy seeing him play.

For fun: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=51NBqZybiVw

I'm not convinced about Dries Mertens. No where near the potential of Hazard or even Kevin Mirallas imo.

I also don't like to see Mirallas sign for Everton when I know he's also a really brilliant talent.

This is something which I see a lot, people calling Mirallas a great talent/having great potential.

He WAS a great talent back at 19-20 when people were calling him the Ronaldo of the lowlands but he never lived up to his potential, the guy is 25!

Dries Mertens is a great player but not a worldclass player, he wouldn't cut it at a top4 side, anything below and he would be brilliant for them. Ideally he'd go to Everton to replace Pienaar but they have a tight budget and I reckon Mertens would cost close to 10m £.

In think it will be more between 12 and 15 i guess. He costed PSV 8,5 and still has 2 years left of contract after this season..

Some midtable teamwould suit him. Just love his workrate and how easy he scores..

This is something which I see a lot, people calling Mirallas a great talent/having great potential.

He WAS a great talent back at 19-20 when people were calling him the Ronaldo of the lowlands but he never lived up to his potential, the guy is 25!

Dries Mertens is a great player but not a worldclass player, he wouldn't cut it at a top4 side, anything below and he would be brilliant for them. Ideally he'd go to Everton to replace Pienaar but they have a tight budget and I reckon Mertens would cost close to 10m £.

You don't know that ;)

That's your opinion - good players around you, makes you raise your game even more... same with shit players around you...

Plus - I don't want a team of WORLD CLASS EGO's - we need some hardworking honesty, with a few 'gems' thrown in for good measure... That's what I like about SAF (probably only thing) - he knows how to balance his squad between workers and show'ers...

@atholy,

Of course! I know you where joking... :)

Ogre Fellaini would be perfect for me... although => you realize you stack another Belgian in our locker room :ph34r:

Hmmm I don't really agree with you on this one.

I know he's 25... but that doesn't mean he's already over his top. He was a prosperous talent when he was playing at Lille at age 17-21. His nickname there was "Ronaldo of the poor" :). His style of playing reminded people of Ronaldo... the people in Lille are known to be 'the poor'. After a short, not so successful passage at St Etienne, He really did amazingly well in the Greek competition 2 seasons back to back!

The big test for me was his signing for Everton. Unfortunately he has been injured too many games to have a bulletproof opinion. But still you feel he brings something extra to the team every single minute he's on the pitch. The fact that he's already a fan favorite at Goodison Park in such a short time surely shows their is still potential in the lad!

I agree with you on the fact he didn't bring a lot to our National Squad until this far. But I wouldn't write him off already. I think Mirallas may still surprise many critics in the upcoming seasons!

Of course! I know you where joking... :)

Ogre Fellaini would be perfect for me... although => you realize you stack another Belgian in our locker room :ph34r:

Well, for me Fellaini may start packing today. He is my first choice in the summer.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You