Super Frank Thread

Just realised we had 3rd best defence last season. Despite obvious flaws and lot of complaining here, we didnt do as bad in general at all.
But this year, our defence is truly bad.
Hopefuly Rudi and Kante return improves our backline.
Nowhere near as bad as people make out. We were 1 - boring as fuck and 2 - pretty toothless up front.

Defensively we were miles ahead of where we are this season. It's pretty amateurish if I'm honest

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Supermonkey92 said:

Nowhere near as bad as people make out. We were 1 - boring as fuck and 2 - pretty toothless up front.

Defensively we were miles ahead of where we are this season. It's pretty amateurish if I'm honest

Speaking of boring, I actualy quit watching a few games last season, something I never did before. You just knew we aint gonna turn it around in 1000minutes nevermind 30 or so.

This year, our attack is realy a joy to watch though.

Speaking of boring, I actualy quit watching a few games last season, something I never did before. You just knew we aint gonna turn it around in 1000minutes nevermind 30 or so.
This year, our attack is realy a joy to watch though.
It's mostly about intensity. The first 10 minutes against Leicester, a 15 minute period against Liverpool as well as Norwich and we look the dogs bollox. But there's also still shit on a stick football. Large parts of the Sheffield game were worse than last season, we couldn't even keep possession let all do anything with it. Same against Leicester, the midfield disappeared.

It's kinda nuts that the Liverpool game has been our absolutely best performance by a mile. As with all games we were second best at times but always competing on their level.

2 hours ago, Supermonkey92 said:

It's mostly about intensity. The first 10 minutes against Leicester, a 15 minute period against Liverpool as well as Norwich and we look the dogs bollox. But there's also still shit on a stick football. Large parts of the Sheffield game were worse than last season, we couldn't even keep possession let all do anything with it. Same against Leicester, the midfield disappeared.

It's kinda nuts that the Liverpool game has been our absolutely best performance by a mile. As with all games we were second best at times but always competing on their level.

And the small stuff like Tammy running towards Lamps...its what builds character and team spirit and reminded me of Klopp at Pool. 

Might have some shit games but the passion and team work is always there. I didnt recognize that from Sarri last year, he was more like an outsider coaching a group of players rather than being a part of the team.

19 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Changed the system today which was smart as it accommodates Alonsos strength more although he was still quite poor but still conceding goals. 

Mostly accommodates the lack of width we have in options, which was evident against Sheffield and their 5 at the back system. 

Lampard is learning. 

Very good of him adapting to the other team and changing formation, hopefully he finds out what to do about Zouma upsetting the balance of our defence. Maybe put Azpi in the Right centerback position once Reece james comes back.

Just now, Tomo said:

Despite the success today I don't really want 3atb being a regular thing. Too many games will come about where we struggle to create (infact it was the case today until Tomori's bullet opened the gate).

I also do not see that as a long term thing, but I would try out this system against City and Pool.

2 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

I also do not see that as a long term thing, but I would try out this system against City and Pool.

Against those two depends on who we have back, should Rudiger and Kante be fit next weekend I'd rather the 433 as we shown we can dominate Liverpool in the middle with those three (Kova, Jorginho, Kante) while Rudiger always seems to deal with Salah.

6 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Kepa

James---Christensen---Rudiger---Emerson

Jorginho (c)

Kante-----Ruben

CHO-------------------Mount

Tammy

Is Christense better then Tomori?

I think Tomori might come good with Rudgier. 

I would prefer to push more Tomori then Christensen. Andreas is better for 3r CB or he can be sold next summer and get another CB. 

Ruben in mid? I'm not sure, where does Pulisic land? To me Pulisic also has good potential, just that is first season in England. 

For now it will continue to be Kante, Jorginho and Kovaic in mid. 

Above all else this season, the biggest positive for me personally from Lampard's appointment is how much more I'm enjoying this season.

The last two seasons have been a real hard watch. Conte seemed to pretty much give up and our performances reflected that, and whilst I appreciate the changes Sarri was trying to incorporate (and I actually think some areas Lamps has benefited from Sarri's work) a lot of the football was so boring and pedestrian.

I'm not sure if it is simply having Lamps back, integrating the younger players, more attack minded football, lower expectations for the season or a mixture of all but I'm enjoying watching the games.

Yes there are clearly some issues which need to be addressed and consistency I think throughout this season could prove a problem, but I'm just really enjoying the ride so far.

9 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Changed the system today which was smart as it accommodates Alonsos strength more although he was still quite poor but still conceding goals. 

Our priority this season should be to try scoring more than opponent. 

Get that attacking chemistry going, make sure everyone gets involved, build up the team work and develop players. Our young players to enjoy and play as relaxed as possible.

Then we fix our defence come summer and next season. 

This is what rebuild looks like and how it should be done going from pragmatic/defensive to attacking football. Sarri last year was simply a doll to play fancy football but with instantly many many restictions and expectations that cant be achieved nor demanded in transition seasons. 

Now we have no pressure, just a manger and bunch of young players enjoying, experimenting and developing every week.