test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jason

Super Frank Thread

Started by Jason,

4,584 posts in this topic

Im kinda saying this as a thought out loud but would appreciate someone saying if Im right or talking bollox.

Been slowly catching up with things and I dont know if Im right or wrong but its looking to me that FL is using the high press more as a defensive strategy rather than attack based.!?

And with is having quite big % of posession we have been making a lot of sideways/back passes??

Add to that we have been creating a lot of chances but nobody has been there  good enough for the last 1 or 2 touches??

Our goals for and assists should go much higher now with the new lads. but this very much depends on what formation FL sees us using.

I saw a good piece comparing his time at Derby with his time so far here and the comparison was quite similar. They both prioritized going forward and the goals let in were disgustingly bad.

I know we brought in another coach but he doesnt SEEM to be defence trained. But we need something drastic to help out back there. Its our only proper weakness.

Just read this. Interesting.

Tactical Philosophy: Frank Lampard

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2020/05/20/tactical-philosophy-frank-lampard/.

kellzfresh and Vesper like this

I was hoping to see tactical improvements from Lampards team but I was disappointed. It's just the first match but the same problems of last season: poor defending, deft of ideas in attack, no cohesion in midfield and inconsistent pressing/allowing Brighton to control the game without putting them under pressure.

He has to do better honestly. 

prehuman and Unionjack like this

Was it poor defending or our midfielders, cough Ruben cough, losing the ball in dangerous areas?

I thought our back line was solid for the most part. Bar Kepa. 

Was it poor defending or our midfielders, cough Ruben cough, losing the ball in dangerous areas?
I thought our back line was solid for the most part. Bar Kepa. 
Alonso was horrible and RJ looked shaky couple of times. Alonso and Mount gave Lamptey many times a free pass.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Unionjack likes this

I think Lamps got it wrong from the outset but his hand was also somewhat forced by the injuries, late arrivals, and Kovacic's suspension.

Whilst I personally would have liked to see Ruben hauled off earlier, I can understand why Lamps waited 60 minutes to do so.

Let's just hope that he gets it right against Liverpool (one thing's for sure, Ruben won't be in the starting lineup for that game).

Trust im Lamps. He is intelligent and our legend.

What really makes me feel comfortable that even if Frank somehow doesn‘t accomplish to steady the defence, another manager surely could since the players at disposal are amazing going forward.

If we want to consider ourselves a big club, and with the players we have, we should be beating Brighton comfortably 2 or 3-0 without being 100% fit which this lineup should have achieved. 100% fitness is really on necessary for games against the top 6-8 and champions league.

maybe not right away, but sometime later in the season onwards i would see:
4-3-3
 Recee - Zouma - silva - chilwell

havertz - gilmour - kovacic
( kante) - (jorginho)- (mount)

ziyech  - werner  - pulisic
              ( giroud) - (CHO)

others: christiensen, rudiger, azpilicueta,alonso, barkley, tammy

4-2-3-1

kante - kovacic  (gilmour for rotation and jorgi)
ziyech - havert  - pulisic
             (mount) - (CHO)
             werner
             (giroud)

Johnnyeye and Unionjack like this

I actually think it was tactically spot on. Everyone expected us to come out all guns blazing and run out of steam early but we sat deep and waited for the counter attack opps. Individualy it was a very poor performance. the passing from all midfielders was terrible. werner would have needed just a coupleof great passes straight through the middle and he would have socred a hatful. we had brightons number just couldnt finish them off. RJ and Alonso made individual mistakes to allow brighton chances but they have never been very good defenders. AC and Zouma were very collected and solid tho, sussed out tons of dangerous attacks.

kellzfresh, pHaRaOn and Ryan Fong like this

It's early days but I fear with all the options that we have this season, Lampard will overthink things and start to tinker around too much with the system and player selection (yesterday's match was a good example of that). Really hope he will settle on a fixed system soon and play the players in their best position and not put square pegs in round holes. It is one thing wanting the team to be adaptable and flexible, it is another to tinker too much for the sake of it. Consistency is needed if we want to have success. Even Guardiola - except when he is playing in Europe - who has a reputation of changing things too much has always largely kept the same system, player selection etc domestically. Or look at Klopp at Liverpool. Consistent system, consistent team selection and they have reaped the rewards massively over the last 2-3 seasons. 

communicate and Fernando like this

It's early days but I fear with all the options that we have this season, Lampard will overthink things and start to tinker around too much with the system and player selection (yesterday's match was a good example of that). Really hope he will settle on a fixed system soon and play the players in their best position and not put square pegs in round holes. It is one thing wanting the team to be adaptable and flexible, it is another to tinker too much for the sake of it. Consistency is needed if we want to have success. Even Guardiola - except when he is playing in Europe - who has a reputation of changing things too much has always largely kept the same system, player selection etc domestically. Or look at Klopp at Liverpool. Consistent system, consistent team selection and they have reaped the rewards massively over the last 2-3 seasons. 
Lampard has to rotate to make a big squad like that happy. I mean, look at Werner, Tammy and Giroud as a CFs lol. Way too much quality for one position.
Our midfield has too many players too, and Rice sadly might be coming, so more midfielders lol.
But Lampard chose that for himself

1 minute ago, killer1257 said:

Lampard has to rotate to make a big squad like that happy. I mean, look at Werner, Tammy and Giroud as a CFs lol. Way too much quality for one position.
Our midfield has too many players too, and Rice sadly might be coming, so more midfielders lol.

Rotating the players is fine, especially when needed. But when he starts to chop and change it for the sake of it or play players out of position (like yesterday), then there is where the problems may start. One can only hope he knows what he's doing and not just someone who talks a big game without knowing how to back it up...

4 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

He didn't seen to mind making Giroo unhappy while he kept playing Bats. Or Leaving Jorgi on the bench

I think FL can have a heart of ice.

Didnt seem to mind jumping into a shitty shirt after we all thought he was going of to play in the States and only train at Shitty. That sight is burned into my retinas.

He didn't seen to mind making Giroo unhappy while he kept playing Bats. Or Leaving Jorgi on the bench
I think FL can have a heart of ice.
Didnt seem to mind jumping into a shitty shirt after we all thought he was going of to play in the States and only train at Shitty. That sight is burned into my retinas.
Batsman played 225 minutes in PL. I do not know how 225 minutes could have made Giroud unhappy. If giving a player 225 minutes in Pl is enough these days too make players unhappy, I mean they should not play at a big club to begin with

2 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Batsman played 225 minutes in PL. I do not know how 225 minutes could have made Giroud unhappy. If giving a player 225 minutes in Pl is enough these days too make players unhappy, I mean they should not play at a big club to begin with

Felt much longer!