test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jason

Super Frank Thread

Started by Jason,

2,808 posts in this topic

I wouldn't have had a problem with Sarri staying this season if he wanted to stay, but he knew how much more difficult it was going to be this season with the transfer ban.

Take Hazard out of this side and the attacking threat and creative output drops like a dead weight. Add to that we had four long term injuries which were, or were becoming, important members of his team in Rudiger, Kante, RLC and CHO.

The possession based, more cautious approach he implemented in the second half of last season I think would have been an even bigger struggle without a player like Hazard being able to create moments out of seemingly nothing. 

He was probably fully aware that in order for us to try to cover the loss of Hazard, we'd have to have more purpose in attack and likely open ourselves up more from a defensive perspective to do so, like Lampard has. It's the same issues Lampard is having now, just he's either too stubborn or inexperienced to change things and become more cautious. Having said that and knowing how poor we've been this season defensively, now Tammy's goals have dried up and we've suffered a couple of injuries our attack looks pretty toothless too at present despite a mentality to attack. 

kc_blue likes this

Since Mourinho was sacked after winning another PL I was so heartbroken and filled with negativity that I lost pretty much all desire to watch Chelsea games. Yeah, we had some good fun with that Conte fella and with Sarri. All decent people, but none were true blues.

But when Lampard was appointed as head coach i felt a sudden inner connection to this team again and with that Mount boy (who reminds me a lot of a younger Lampard). The connection was so strong that i immediately began supporting Lampard in a way I never thought it was possible again. I've never seen a manager lose in such a highly educated fashion. Nobody understand his tactics and team selection, but the truth is: the way he messes around with the average football viewer's IQ is just mesmerizing and out of this world. I'm staying to watch his genius intellect and incredible tactics unfold on my TV while the average football fan think mediocre managers like Pocketino and Nuno Espirito Santo are any good.

Frank has a power that i've never seen from any other manager ever and he's surely becoming a Premier League and Champions League winner one day, and if he gets fortunate enough and receive enough support from this board (f*ck you Marina) he might be the best manager ever. The sky is the limit. The way he trust in the kids and bench expensive underperforming stars is next level stuff. Thanks to him i'm now watching Chelsea games with the same passion I used to in Mourinho days. A lot of friends who completely stopped watching games after Mourinho left are watching again.

Thank you, Frank. In Frank we trust!

bigbluewillie likes this

10 minutes ago, bigbluewillie said:

Am i really reading this from Henrique?:ph34r:

And oh what about having a Chelsea player as your fav:P

For a second I was like, are we in 1st of April or March?

Fernando likes this

6 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I wouldn't have had a problem with Sarri staying this season if he wanted to stay, but he knew how much more difficult it was going to be this season with the transfer ban.

Take Hazard out of this side and the attacking threat and creative output drops like a dead weight. Add to that we had four long term injuries which were, or were becoming, important members of his team in Rudiger, Kante, RLC and CHO.

The possession based, more cautious approach he implemented in the second half of last season I think would have been an even bigger struggle without a player like Hazard being able to create moments out of seemingly nothing. 

He was probably fully aware that in order for us to try to cover the loss of Hazard, we'd have to have more purpose in attack and likely open ourselves up more from a defensive perspective to do so, like Lampard has.

He might prove me wrong in the long run at Juventus but as it stands, it feels as though Sarri succeeded at Napoli because things fell into place there for him. He had the right players, he was at a club where they weren't expected to consistently challenge for honors and he could just go about doing his own things. Since then, he has struggled when being put in charge at bigger clubs with bigger ambition than Napoli. His limitations and flaws suddenly got exposed more under the spotlight. Remember how he always stuck with the 4-3-3 last season and his predictable Kovacic-Barkley subs? After Juventus played poorly and lost to a Lyon side that were missing half of their 1st team and were sitting 7th in Ligue 1, Sarri came out and said 'I don't know how to make the players play faster' (or something like that), which brought back memories of him saying 'I don't know how to motivate the players' last season. He has way better players at Juventus than he had here and yet, he has still struggled to implement his ideas and somehow, his side are dependent on one player again - this time it's Ronaldo. 

6 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

It's the same issues Lampard is having now, just he's either too stubborn or inexperienced to change things and become more cautious. Having said that and knowing how poor we've been this season defensively, now Tammy's goals have dried up and we've suffered a couple of injuries our attack looks pretty toothless too at present despite a mentality to attack. 

I get that every manager wants to be their own man but given that Lampard played under some of the most successful, experienced, pragmatic managers in history, it seems bizarre that he doesn't have that bit of pragmatism in him. There is no need to be playing all out attacking football, 200 miles per hour football for 90 minutes, not when the team is already vulnerable defensively. You need to know when to slow the game down and control things, even just for a few minutes and when to go for it. His defensive record as a manager already looks not great and while having better players would help, Lampard also needs to look at the way he coaches the team defensively and learn how/when to be pragmatic. He doesn't have to go to the extreme like Mourinho does but just enough to make the team streetwise and adaptable. At the moment, it feels like he's a lot more similar to the one manager he loathed than the managers he thrived under - Andre Villas-Boas. 

Atomiswave likes this

6 minutes ago, 11Drogba said:

For a second I was like, are we in 1st of April or March?

OH yeah you're right mate of course i forgot that, nice one Henrique:D

Thought at first it was a wind up, now i'm sure it is.

Fernando likes this

3 hours ago, bigbluewillie said:

Am i really reading this from Henrique?:ph34r:

And oh what about having a Chelsea player as your fav:P

I imagine it was a copy and paste from Reddit.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

I get that every manager wants to be their own man but given that Lampard played under some of the most successful, experienced, pragmatic managers in history, it seems bizarre that he doesn't have that bit of pragmatism in him. 

Could be that's why he decided to become a different type of manager.

Maybe he didn't particularly like playing in that style despite winning a lot doing it and decided early on he's going down a different path as a manager. 

53 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Could be that's why he decided to become a different type of manager.

Maybe he didn't particularly like playing in that style despite winning a lot doing it and decided early on he's going down a different path as a manager. 

Did you actually read the whole post or just decided to quote certain part and take it out of context? 🙄

4 hours ago, Jason said:

I get that every manager wants to be their own man but given that Lampard played under some of the most successful, experienced, pragmatic managers in history, it seems bizarre that he doesn't have that bit of pragmatism in him. There is no need to be playing all out attacking football, 200 miles per hour football for 90 minutes, not when the team is already vulnerable defensively. You need to know when to slow the game down and control things, even just for a few minutes and when to go for it.

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

Did you actually read the whole post or just decided to quote certain part and take it out of context? 🙄

I wasn't actually saying it was right or wrong, just saying it maybe was why he's turned more into a Pep breed of manager (in terms of preferred style of play) than a Jose.

Just now, Tomo said:

I wasn't actually saying it was right or wrong, just saying it maybe was why he's turned more into a Pep breed of manager (in terms of preferred style of play) than a Jose.

But that's not even the point I was making! :rant:

17 hours ago, Jason said:

Yes, I remember but Sarri did take it to the extreme with the sterile possession. Things only got interesting at times in the second half of the season when Loftus-Cheek and CHO provided some directness into the team. Otherwise, it was just endless passing without any attacking intent whatsoever. 

Again though, if you see how Napoli were with him, they didnt click properly until his 2nd season there but I suppose that doesnt matter either.

Having Ruben and Callum made a difference (I think you said something along the lines of him using them saved his job at the time) but its not as if they were the only reason the team played better (or why he kept his job) Jorginho and Kante finally looked much better in the team after the winter. We were more used to his style and I think bar in the final third where the movement and speed of play struggled due to various reasons (lack of willingness to run in behind, runs from MF etc) it would of gotten better, its not as if Pep, Klopp, even Jose in his 2nd spell here got the team to play exactly as they wanted. Throw Pulisic, Tomori and James in and around the squad as well who has been a huge plus this season at times, I dont think we would of done any worse this year round. 

Its not as if sterile possesion isnt what we have seen a lot of times this season either.... I mean since the first half of the season (similarly to under Sarri) have we really created that many chances in many games weve dropped points? I wouldnt neccessarily agree. 

The quality in the squad hasnt helped Conte, Sarri or even Frank but he has made bigger mistakes particularly excluding players he could have utilized more (even more baffling with the transfer ban I doubt anyone has ever been so naive in a similar situation) and his set ups tactically. I still get the feeling he has no idea of his best CB pairing, CMs or his best shape be in 4231 or 3 at the back. At least with the others they throughly knew what their preferred system and teams would be most weeks.

Atomiswave and Vybz Kartel like this

19 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Having Ruben and Callum made a difference (I think you said something along the lines of him using them saved his job at the time) but its not as if they were the only reason the team played better (or why he kept his job) Jorginho and Kante finally looked much better in the team after the winter. We were more used to his style and I think bar in the final third where the movement and speed of play struggled due to various reasons (lack of willingness to run in behind, runs from MF etc) it would of gotten better, its not as if Pep, Klopp, even Jose in his 2nd spell here got the team to play exactly as they wanted. Throw Pulisic, Tomori and James in and around the squad as well who has been a huge plus this season at times, I dont think we would of done any worse this year round. 

Not sure if using 2 players to justify Sarri's style was working is a good justification. Lampard hasn't deviated much from Sarri's style and yet Jorginho has only a handful of good performances while Kante has blown hot and cold in this B2B role. 

As for the young players, there was no telling who Sarri would have preferred. He might have taken to James, Tomori, Mount, Abraham or he might not have at all.

30 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Its not as if sterile possesion isnt what we have seen a lot of times this season either.... I mean since the first half of the season (similarly to under Sarri) have we really created that many chances in many games weve dropped points? I wouldnt neccessarily agree. 

We have less sterile possession than last season but the main problem is, our attacking play has become predictable of late. Think we're still in the Top 2 or 3 in terms of shots/shots on target but attacking approach is basically just give the ball to James to cross into the box and hope someone puts the chance away. Hardly seen any of the intricate passing play that we saw earlier this season.

34 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

The quality in the squad hasnt helped Conte, Sarri or even Frank but he has made bigger mistakes particularly excluding players he could have utilized more (even more baffling with the transfer ban I doubt anyone has ever been so naive in a similar situation) and his set ups tactically. I still get the feeling he has no idea of his best CB pairing, CMs or his best shape be in 4231 or 3 at the back. At least with the others they throughly knew what their preferred system and teams would be most weeks.

That and the team just don't look well coached either. Remember how certain players came out and complained about Conte's or Sarri's boring, repetitive training drills and compared them to Lampard's supposedly more fun training? The fun training sessions are sure working wonders right now...

1 hour ago, DDA said:

Big improvements needed but I honestly think that will come with better players coming in. I got your back Frank. 

I hear you but better players will only give you so much. Tactics, gameplan, shape and attitude comes from the manager and he has failed so far on that imo. You cant expect miracles really, he is indeed a rookie.

A rookie that has played under awesome managers yet has taken none of their acumen on board it looks.

DDA and Vybz Kartel like this

Whooooa hold on let's see how he performs when he gets the chance to bring in his own players.

And not judge him on solely on the players he has at his disposal, i think any manager would struggle with most of them.

I think Tactics, gameplan,shape, and attitude, comes from having round pegs in round holes, and not the mish mash he has at present.

In Lamps I trust, and I think if we are fortunate enough to finish 4th then I think he will have done well.

KTBFFH

1 hour ago, Atomiswave said:

I hear you but better players will only give you so much. Tactics, gameplan, shape and attitude comes from the manager and he has failed so far on that imo. You cant expect miracles really, he is indeed a rookie.

A rookie that has played under awesome managers yet has taken none of their acumen on board it looks.

Just over a week ago we saw positives signs of a decent end product. I rewatched the Spurs game on Saturday morning and some of the one touch combination play (especially between Kova, Jorginho, Mason and Oli) was excellent.

While I do agree they're aspects he needs to vastly improve on to ultimately make it here there is a plan and when it comes off it looks excellent.

He's shown enough over the course of the season to get an opportunity with better players (plus the young boys a year older and more hardened). But I won't disagree there has to be a vast improvement on the good:bad ratio and strong evolvement in his management else he will be facing the sack and deservedly so.

Atomiswave and bigbluewillie like this