test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
the wes

24. Reece James

Started by the wes,

268 posts in this topic
11 minutes ago, ja1 said:

Dwj1Ez3XcAEJ_eq.jpg

Reece vs other Championship full backs 

He is good enough to be backup since Azpi rarely gets injured and plays almost every match. It would be perfect to slowly involve him into the squad.

But watch Chelsea buy 5 RBs before giving our own one a chance.

Alabama likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

He is good enough to be backup since Azpi rarely gets injured and plays almost every match. It would be perfect to slowly involve him into the squad.

But watch Chelsea buy 5 RBs before giving our own one a chance.

We should try to get a upgrade over Azpi if we are being honest, Hsaj is not really an upgrade we have been linked with him the most. But yeah if we persist with Azpi, than yeah save the money and just play the youngster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd at least like to see him get a preseason next year with the team.  Let Sarri get a look at him and assess him before we send him on another loan, even if that's the ultimate decision next season.

Sideshow Luiz and Vesper like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

We should try to get a upgrade over Azpi if we are being honest, Hsaj is not really an upgrade we have been linked with him the most. But yeah if we persist with Azpi, than yeah save the money and just play the youngster. 

I see it this way; could Azpi be upgraded considering his attacking contribution? Absolutely. Even more so now that we struggle with creating. We look super shit on both flanks and one might think any upgrade (even Azpi) would benefit us. Thats true. But first, we should replace RW, LB, ST, hell maybe even CB and CM (if Kovacic wont sign permamently).

If we were to replace those positions first, meaning ditching Alonso, Willian and get quality players who can attack, our team would become much more dangerous in attack. Even with Azpi. Azpi being the only defensive minded player besides the two CBs wouldnt be a problem at all. In fact his leadership and strong commitment is very important for the team. People underrate his importance to the team and the fact he and Kante are only ones who give their best in every game.

Idealy you need one attacking and one more reserved fullback in squad. Now that we have two who cant attack, its more glaring that Azpi is not good in attack. Even more with incompetent Willian ahead. Thats 3 players who dont contribute enough in attack. But if you have someone who can instead of Alonso and Willian, Azpi being defensive is fine because you need balance.

Sure we might aswell replace Azpi instead of Alonso BUT hell I hope that never happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, kc_blue said:

I'd at least like to see him get a preseason next year with the team.  Let Sarri get a look at him and assess him before we send him on another loan, even if that's the ultimate decision next season.

Sarri and the board wont rate him and wont use him until he threatens to leave to get play time. Suddenly the entire club will start licking his ass and say how valuable and important he is. :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

Sarri and the board wont rate him and wont use him until he threatens to leave to get play time. Suddenly the entire club will start licking his ass and say how valuable and important he is. :ph34r:

BUT is he good enough to be a starter if we want to be real contenders?

I know hes got POTM at Wigan a few months back but thats Wigan.

Hes not given any Gs or As

BUT he is at least HG which is a big help and I see us using a few other yoof for his job too,

 

 

Vesper likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

BUT is he good enough to be a starter if we want to be real contenders?

I know hes got POTM at Wigan a few months back but thats Wigan.

Hes not given any Gs or As

BUT he is at least HG which is a big help and I see us using a few other yoof for his job too,

 

 

Meanwhile those fucking Bayern cunts stole a march on the world and got a WC combo RB/CB (Benjamin Pavard) for ONLY £31m!!!!!!!!

 

Benjamin Pavard to join Bayern Munich in summer for £31.4m

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/09/benjamin-pavard-bayern-munich-join-summer

:rant::rant::rant:

Unionjack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

BUT is he good enough to be a starter if we want to be real contenders?

I know hes got POTM at Wigan a few months back but thats Wigan.

Hes not given any Gs or As

BUT he is at least HG which is a big help and I see us using a few other yoof for his job too,

 

 

Should be Azpi back up next season. Period. Azpi usualy plays entire season by himself anyway, so Reece wouldnt be under massive pressure but still played nice amount of (cup) games. Then we can see how he does etc.

Point is we dont need to spend on any rb right now because for all his faults Azpi is still our captain and very important player and Reece can easily be our backup next season. 

But board wants to buy fucking Hysaj as first choice or back up or whatever they plan to do. 

If they do that, Reece wont see playtime here anytime soon. And thats why every talented young player we have wants to leave.

Unionjack and kc_blue like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Meanwhile those fucking Bayern cunts stole a march on the world and got a WC combo RB/CB (Benjamin Pavard) for ONLY £31m!!!!!!!!

 

Benjamin Pavard to join Bayern Munich in summer for £31.4m

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/09/benjamin-pavard-bayern-munich-join-summer

:rant::rant::rant:

I can just imagine your thoughts Mrs! lol  Taz.gif.4d9c1260132b95635c52ead10f0efe4d.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

Should be Azpi back up next season. Period. Azpi usualy plays entire season by himself anyway, so Reece wouldnt be under massive pressure but still played nice amount of (cup) games. Then we can see how he does etc.

Point is we dont need to spend on any rb right now because for all his faults Azpi is still our captain and very important player and Reece can easily be our backup next season. 

But board wants to buy fucking Hysaj as first choice or back up or whatever they plan to do. 

If they do that, Reece wont see playtime here anytime soon. And thats why every talented young player we have wants to leave.

Almost no chance we buy Hysaj, unless we are selling Azpi (pro tip, we are not)

this one rumour that I do call bullshit on

£45m for him is madness

he isnt that good

if we want a backup (and a replacement SOON) for Azpi (which is needed, he is on decline soon and also is not good in Sarriball offence)

we need to buy

one of the following (some are impossible)

best options in red bold

Joshua Kimmich

João Cancelo probably now impossible (board cock-up, what a fullback he has become, top 5 in world RB, so so progressive:()

Sergi Roberto (another massive board fuckup, yay Marina!!)

Trent Alexander-Arnold

Achraf Hakimi (force Real to include him and others in the Hazard deal)

or

Valentino Lazaro (best athlete on this list)

Sime Vrsaljko

Ricardo Pereira

Benjamin Henrichs

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hes not given any Gs or As

————————-

I believe he has 1 goal and 1 assist. I can understand why you’d look at it and think it’s not impressive but it’s a good example of stats do not tell the full story. At last check, 2-3 weeks ago, Reece had attempted 160 crosses and completed around 40 of them. This is crazy numbers - top PL full backs at the same point in time had attempted about 60 with a similar, even slightly lower success rate than Reece (other than Alonso who has a very poor success rate of below 10%). You can see in the figure I posted above he is in the division’s best (well, he IS the best out of all full backs on that list) for accurate crosses / 90.

 

He also manages 1.6 key passes per game which, again , is exceptional for a full back. Amongst U23 players of any position in the Championship it is one of the best figures. 

 

This stat is referring to December, from whoscored’s Twitter: Reece James : 17 goalscoring chances created was the third highest in the Championship last month. (WhoScored)

 

To further exemplify how good these stats are here’s a nice little article with some comparisons between Hysaj and James: https://chelseaecho.com/2019/01/01/how-good-is-reece-james-do-we-actually-need-elseid-hysaj/

 

Yes it is the Championship, but still you would hardly expect a 19 year old RB from Wigan to be this dominate in so many areas over the starting RB of a top Serie A team. And again, it exemplifies how good his crossing and key passing stats are.

 

All in all it paints a picture that he’s a highly creative full back who doesn’t see the many chances he creates finished off.

The Skipper and Vesper like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dazzy_Vance said:

Off to the Bundesliga he goes

If Sarri is still the manager he just might. He will claim a 32 or 33yo Azpi is 'untouchable' at RB. Sarri has watched too many Maldini and Totti videos.

Dazzy_Vance likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Vesper said:

If Sarri is still the manager he just might. He will claim a 32 or 33yo Azpi is 'untouchable' at RB. Sarri has watched too many Maldini and Totti videos.

LOLZ. Azpilicueta is 29, that is a perfect age for a defender. 

And in Reece James's case he has contract till 2022 so we are in comfortable position not to lose him if we don't want. He's got another year or 2 to break into the team. what i could well imagine is that Sarri is not being used to having that big a roster to wath over so simply ignores our 39 loanees and just does not assess them during the season at all, just the ones he takes to preseason. which is really a shame cos i am sure both, james and even abraham could help us out right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

LOLZ. Azpilicueta is 29, that is a perfect age for a defender. 

 

I meant in a few years when Reece contract is in its last year.

29, maybe 30, is usually the last GOOD year for fullbacks (and DMF's too)

They almost all fall of the cliff once they turn 30.

For LB's the only WC one over 29 is Marcelo (30yo and dropping like a rock, he has been shit this season) That is literally IT

For RB's it is even worse, as over 28yo there is ONE, Azpi, thats it

(no, Dani Alves is NOT going to be listed as WC, he is almost 36 and it was an absolute FRAUD he was picked for the 2018 all world FIFA team, he played 14 games when the team was picked, some as a sub, he is shot, what a joke he was picked as the BEST RB in the world, it isnt 2012-13 or before anymore, lol)

DMF's almost the same except the cutoff is one year higher than LB, 2 than RB. It its over 30 (Busquets, Witsel, Matic,and N'Zonzi all are 30 and WC still), the only WC DMF over 30yo is Fernandinho that's it.

So nope 29 (and 30 this summer) is not a perfect age for a fullback (in terms of what very soon is coming). 30yo is in 99% of the cases the death knell of being WC.

 

 

Dazzy_Vance likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I meant in a few years when Reece contract is in its last year.

29, maybe 30, is usually the last GOOD year for fullbacks (and DMF's too)

They almost all fall of the cliff once they turn 30.

For LB's the only WC one over 29 is Marcelo (30yo and dropping like a rock, he has been shit this season) That is literally IT

For RB's it is even worse, as over 28yo there is ONE, Azpi, thats it

(no, Dani Alves is NOT going to be listed as WC, he is almost 36 and it was an absolute FRAUD he was picked for the 2018 all world FIFA team, he played 14 games when the team was picked, some as a sub, he is shot, what a joke he was picked as the BEST RB in the world, it isnt 2012-13 or before anymore, lol)

DMF's almost the same except the cutoff is one year higher than LB, 2 than RB. It its over 30 (Busquets, Witsel, Matic,and N'Zonzi all are 30 and WC still), the only WC DMF over 30yo is Fernandinho that's it.

So nope 29 (and 30 this summer) is not a perfect age for a fullback (in terms of what very soon is coming). 30yo is in 99% of the cases the death knell of being WC.

 

 

That is bullshit. It depends on physical condition. There is not a magic barrier that you  hit on when turning 28 as a left back and 29 as a left back. Some folks decline in their mid 20ies some in their mid 30ies and most in between based on various factors. You will find that some of the best fullbacks had their best seasons above 30. Ashley Cole and Branislav icanovic imo both had their best seasons aged 30-31. Zanetti was at his best way over 30 too. Maldini at 35, roberto carlos at 31-32. Philipp lahm at 30-31 i could go on.. just because there is no wc left or rightback over 28/29 right now does not mean there can not be..as there are enough past examples  of fullbacks reaching their peak in their early 30ies. It is not all due to peak physical condition which often can be contained till the 30ies but also experience, anticipation and tactical skills which can be inproved at any age. Kyle walker the imo best rightback in the world is 28 and still getting better and i believe azpi has at least 3-4 years at top level left in the tank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

That is bullshit. It depends on physical condition. There is not a magic barrier that you  hit on when turning 28 as a left back and 29 as a left back. Some folks decline in their mid 20ies some in their mid 30ies and most in between based on various factors. You will find that some of the best fullbacks had their best seasons above 30. Ashley Cole and Branislav icanovic imo both had their best seasons aged 30-31. Zanetti was at his best way over 30 too. Maldini at 35, roberto carlos at 31-32. Philipp lahm at 30-31 i could go on.. just because there is no wc left or rightback over 28/29 right now does not mean there can not be..as there are enough past examples  of fullbacks reaching their peak in their early 30ies. It is not all due to peak physical condition which often can be contained till the 30ies but also experience, anticipation and tactical skills which can be inproved at any age. Kyle walker the imo best rightback in the world is 28 and still getting better and i believe azpi has at least 3-4 years at top level left in the tank

It is NOT bullshit (other than a few extraordinary cases)

It is the cold hard truth.

Not saying it is impossible, but the odds are crazy against players overall.

Go and name actual world class RB's and LB's right now that are over 28yo. Jordi Alba is the only other LB over 28yo (along with Marcelo) who is still world class

Azpi is the only WC RB over 28yo.

Name others right now. If what you say is true we should be lining them up like clockwork.

Unless you are going to dumb down the term world class to the point of meaningless and say Antonio Valencia, Lukasz Piszczek, Danny Simpson, Seamus Coleman and Pablo Zabaleta etc etc are now suddenly world class.

LB cheeky WC bid for 37-year old Patrice Evra. Maybe Ashley Young?  LOLOL

No, I am not talking about the past. The past is the past. Today's game is brutal on fullbacks. Also Serie A is a slower, more tactical, less physical league that allows older players to still play.

Ashley Cole's last full year in topflight football was when he was 31-32yo, on that RDM/Rafa team. It was NOT best year ever, that is pure gas-lighting and it WAS his last full year in topflight football, as I already stated. This again proves my point that post 30 is usually the death knell for fullbacks at top level. Ashely pinched out one, arguably two more years, hardly a paradigm breaker.

Branislav Ivanović was 31 for 2/3rds of that horrific 10th place Mo team in 2015-16. He was horrid, already was so so slow. My god did he get lit up. There is zero chance anyone can deny that. I suffered so much that season through Mo's fucking trotting him out every goddamn game as we circled the bowl. By the next season (Conte came in) he was benched and soon gone (and that coincided with our huge run and change in formation after that Arsenal 3 nil smashing we took) His last good year was that magic 30yo number again. Last year, at Zenit, all but 5 of his league games was at CB, not RB as well.

Those others like Carlos are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Maldini was mostly a CB, not a fullback btw.

As for Azpi, the insane amount of minutes will catch up to him. You said 3 or 4 years more years after this at top level. I would wager a shit tonne that at 33yo he will not be remotely close to the player he was in 2016-17.

Unionjack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

That is bullshit. It depends on physical condition. There is not a magic barrier that you  hit on when turning 28 as a left back and 29 as a left back. Some folks decline in their mid 20ies some in their mid 30ies and most in between based on various factors. You will find that some of the best fullbacks had their best seasons above 30. Ashley Cole and Branislav icanovic imo both had their best seasons aged 30-31. Zanetti was at his best way over 30 too. Maldini at 35, roberto carlos at 31-32. Philipp lahm at 30-31 i could go on.. just because there is no wc left or rightback over 28/29 right now does not mean there can not be..as there are enough past examples  of fullbacks reaching their peak in their early 30ies. It is not all due to peak physical condition which often can be contained till the 30ies but also experience, anticipation and tactical skills which can be inproved at any age. Kyle walker the imo best rightback in the world is 28 and still getting better and i believe azpi has at least 3-4 years at top level left in the tank

But IN GENERAL of course players are going to get slower etc as they get older. You have named a handful out of hundreds.

Of course in this modern day with physios training and using cockrell crests and goats blood players can stay fit and healthy but even our ow Butchers dog Pedro is slowing down.

We have a group of players all becoming in need of replacement. And we dont seem to plan ahead and have one waiting in the wings pushing them to take their place.

I think we should be bringing Reece into the squad next season to start his training after a good loan (unless a German loan) and to help with the HG numbers.

Vesper likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.