Homegrown status

We have 19 non-HG players in the squad but we can only register 17. Which 2 players would you get rid off to stay within the limits?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. We have 19 non-HG players in the squad but we can only register 17. Which 2 players would you get rid off to stay within the limits?

In a team of 25, the team need at least 8 home grown players. A homegrown player is, irrespective of nationality, someone who has trained in England for at least 3 years between ages of 16-21.

Ohhhhh... thanks, I got it. How many do we have? 3, at least.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that the years spent in the academy even without a contract count. That's kinda the whole point of the homegrown quota: to bring player from the academy through. And thechels.com says that he has been here since 2010 which is 4 and half years. Meaning he's spent 3 years here before going on loan for the past year and a half.

I wouldn't be so sure the time spent with the reserves will count in this case because back then he didn't even have a visa IIRC and couldn't play official youth nor reserve games before the transfer became official in 2012 so it wasn't like other academy players. And even if it did count it wouldn't make a difference because there's still no way he should count as homegrown, at least not yet, because he definitely only joined the reserve team sometime in the summer of 2011 and your sources are wrong if they're saying 2010. By the time he went on loan to Malaga he had only been training at the club for a year and a half, a year of that under contract, and the requirement to be homegrown is three years which Piazon sure as hell did not meet.

e: Just checked wikipedia and turns out he was able to play official reserve and youth games back in 2011 but still that doesn't change anything, fact remains he had only been at the club for 1.5 years before being shipped out on loan.

I wouldn't be so sure the time spent with the reserves will count in this case because back then he didn't even have a visa IIRC and couldn't play official youth nor reserve games before the transfer became official in 2012 so it wasn't like other academy players. And even if it did count it wouldn't make a difference because there's still no way he should count as homegrown, at least not yet, because he definitely only joined the reserve team sometime in the summer of 2011 and your sources are wrong if they're saying 2010. By the time he went on loan to Malaga he had only been training at the club for a year and a half, a year of that under contract, and the requirement to be homegrown is three years which Piazon sure as hell did not meet.

e: Just checked wikipedia and turns out he was able to play official reserve and youth games back in 2011 but still that doesn't change anything, fact remains he had only been at the club for 1.5 years before being shipped out on loan.

I think you're actually right. He did join in 2011. So the link in the OP got it wrong on both occasions: his joining date and his homegrown status. Apologies.

The guy who compiled this list (@chelseayouth on twitter) confirmed Piazon isn't HG; it's a copy-paste error on their part. They've corrected it.

In a team of 25, the team need at least 8 home grown players. A homegrown player is, irrespective of nationality, someone who has trained in England for at least 3 years between ages of 16-21.

Does it has to be 3 years consecutive or at least 3 years from that age bracket?

Wow, £30m for Luke Shaw looking pretty good right now..

It does, but if we stick with either PVA or Ryan it will not be needed.

All up to Mourinho and the club in what they choose to do.

In every form of life a host country core is needed, regardless off whichever of the foreign lads count as HG, we need an English core off 6-8 players at the club atleast.

Im not saying it because im English, if i was a Napoli fan id want an Italian core, if i was a Monaco fan id want a French core, if i was a Levski Sofia fan id want a Bulgarian core.

We need some HG players, which is why i think we need to sign Luke Shaw or John Stones.

I didn't check. Posted the link because chelseayouth is a good account and thechels.org are a great CFC resource in my experience.

That's unacceptable, Jai. You're one of our oldest members, a TC legend, what kind of example are you setting to the new members by posting links with wrong info? Where's your reliability and integrity? Think about your reputation, man. Unacceptable, I say!

In every form of life a host country core is needed, regardless off whichever of the foreign lads count as HG, we need an English core off 6-8 players at the club atleast.

Im not saying it because im English, if i was a Napoli fan id want an Italian core, if i was a Monaco fan id want a French core, if i was a Levski Sofia fan id want a Bulgarian core.

We need some HG players, which is why i think we need to sign Luke Shaw or John Stones.

Your generalizing men. You don't know if that's the truth.

Cause you don't know if some people would rather have a star then have a fucking useless player just because he's from the country.

It all depends what are the goals of the fans and club.

If I where the FA, I would actually provide some kinda of incentive to clubs that use English players. At least then, the risk reward ratio will be more balance.

I'm fine with this but aslong as the Englishmen are as good as the foreigners they are replacing. Otherwise it would be an idealistic thought that would weaken the squad. In a sense this HG rule is hampering the trading and developing of English talents, because the selling club is in a very good bargaining position knowing that the clubs - in order to maximize their squad depth - will have to cough up.

Your generalizing men. You don't know if that's the truth.

Cause you don't know if some people would rather have a star then have a fucking useless player just because he's from the country.

It all depends what are the goals of the fans and club.

If I where the FA, I would actually provide some kinda of incentive to clubs that use English players. At least then, the risk reward ratio will be more balance.

Im talking about if I was a fan off those clubs, i would still want a HG core like i do now.

I'm fine with this but aslong as the Englishmen are as good as the foreigners they are replacing. Otherwise it would be an idealistic thought that would weaken the squad. In a sense this HG rule is hampering the trading and developing of English talents, because the selling club is in a very good bargaining position knowing that the clubs - in order to maximize their squad depth - will have to cough up.

Agreed, which is why i hope Shaw or Stones sign.

Im talking about if I was a fan off those clubs, i would still want a HG core like i do now.

HG right? As opposed to out right English?

Cause that's two different meaning for pl.

In fact for those that want to improve England, HG rules actually hinder as it has nothing to do with establishing an English core.

But just get any good youngster from anywhere in the world to satisfy that rule.

IMO, what's needed more than a 'core' of English/HG players is to have a quality HG option for each position. It lends a better balance to the team and the squad while obviously not compromising on the overall quality.

For example, we spent this season with Hilario as our 3rd choice goalie. He contributed nothing to the campaign (not his fault he wasn't called upon, mind), all the while eating up a precious foreign slot. Would giving that exposure to Blackman not have made more sense? I look around our squad and its fringes and most of our HG contingent is around central defence. We have no locally developed players in attacking midfield or up front. If Lukaku (less likely) and Moses (quite likely) are sold, that situation would become worse still. Whereas if we have a scattering of reliable local players all over the pitch, not only does it do wonders for the confidence of our academy and other younger players, it is also cost effective.

With that in mind, for next season I'd like us to have Blackman for GK, Kalas for CB, PvA for LB, Chalobah for CM, Lukaku for ST with JT, Cahill and Lampard rounding off our quota of 8.

HG right? As opposed to out right English?
Cause that's two different meaning for pl.

In fact for those that want to improve England, HG rules actually hinder as it has nothing to do with establishing an English core.
But just get any good youngster from anywhere in the world to satisfy that rule.

Yeah if i supported a foreign club i would want a core off players from that country.

Handy page detailing the HG status of our current squad for PL and CL competitions :

http://thechels.info/wiki/First_team_squad

I searched for threads with discussion about 'homegrown' quota but found no results. If one exists, I hope the mods merge these threads.

Victor Moses... suddenly I change my mind about him. I think we should give him a chance if he perform well in WC, and I couldn't believe I said this.

Ryan Bertrand too.

Does it has to be 3 years consecutive or at least 3 years from that age bracket?

That's a good question sir. IIRC it's 3 years from that bracket, hence the discussion about about Piazon's loan move. That'll need clarification however**