Homegrown status

We have 19 non-HG players in the squad but we can only register 17. Which 2 players would you get rid off to stay within the limits?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. We have 19 non-HG players in the squad but we can only register 17. Which 2 players would you get rid off to stay within the limits?

Handy page detailing the HG status of our current squad for PL and CL competitions :

http://thechels.info/wiki/First_team_squad

I searched for threads with discussion about 'homegrown' quota but found no results. If one exists, I hope the mods merge these threads.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's looking highly likely we'll only have 2 HG players next season? Lampard and Cole currently out of contract and Moses' future it up in the air.

As I recall, we had a similar issue in 2011 or 2012? But we had enough u-21 players to get away with having a small squad as they weren't registered. Won't be able to get away with that coming into next season

:blink:

So it's looking highly likely we'll only have 2 HG players next season? Lampard and Cole currently out of contract and Moses' future it up in the air.

As I recall, we had a similar issue in 2011 or 2012? But we had enough u-21 players to get away with having a small squad as they weren't registered. Won't be able to get away with that coming into next season

:blink:

Lukaku, if we keep him. Could keep someone like Josh McEachran around too to fill the quota.

Lukaku, if we keep him. Could keep someone like Josh McEachran around too to fill the quota.

I fear we do start keeping guys like McEachran to fill the quota because it'll significantly hamper his progress and he won't play as much. It's frightening how bad it's gotten now. It means we either start signing

1. HG players for the sake of it

2. We target u-21's to add to depth

3. Sell non-homegrown players to bring in others.

From that list it seems Eto'o, Luiz, Torres, Mikel & Ba could leave.. So we might actually be able to manage.

He's there as an U21 but will Kalas be homegrown when he no longer qualifies as an U21?

Also, how is Piazon HG? He's only been at the club for two and a half years, most of that time on loan at clubs outside England. That's what has always been unclear to me, does it matter homegrown-wise if a player goes on loan to a foreign club?

Did a check on the HG status of our squad last week and we should be fine, even with a few signings, because there will be some departures as well but long-term it would be great to have a few new HG players in, either from our own academy or bought from other English clubs..

I fear we do start keeping guys like McEachran to fill the quota because it'll significantly hamper his progress and he won't play as much. It's frightening how bad it's gotten now. It means we either start signing

1. HG players for the sake of it

2. We target u-21's to add to depth

3. Sell non-homegrown players to bring in others.

From that list it seems Eto'o, Luiz, Torres, Mikel & Ba could leave.. So we might actually be able to manage.

With Josh I've lost hope on him developing into a top player because almost everyone of his loan moves just haven't really developed him. Maybe it's better for him to stay at Cobham and train with top players.

But yeah, we might start signing HG players for the sake of it now - or at least someone who's HG will probably have brownie points over someone who doesn't.

It's why a Song signing would make sense too though, since he is homegrown too. Luke Shaw as well, even though he's very expensive.

why are we so concerned about HG player quotas

considering we buy a new LB (rodrizuez), new CM (rakitic) and a striker (costa), this will be our squad

PL squad

GK - cech, thibaut, blackman (HG)

defenders - JT (HG), GC (HG), azpi, iva, rodriguez, zouma (HG), kalas (HG). cole/pva/bertrand (HG)

CMs - matic, rambo, mvg, rakitic, chalobah/lamps (HG)

AMs - hazard, oscar, willian, salah, schurrle, traore/piazon/moses (HG)

strikers - costa, mr. X (torres/mandzukic), lukaku (HG)

so atleast for the PL squad we have enough players to get by. infact we can buy a new CB and loan out kalas probably.

CL squad

GK - cech, thibaut

defenders - JT (HG-1), GC (HG-2), azpi, iva, rodriguez, kalas (HG-2), cole/pvs/bertrand (HG-2)

CMs- matic, rambo, mvg, rakitic, chalobah/lamps (under21/HG-2)

AMs - hazard, oscar, schurrle, willian, salah, piazon/traore/moses (HG-2,under21,HG-2)

strikers - costa, mr.x (torres/mandzukic), lukaku (HG-2?)

in this we have some problems. we can name 23 players (blackman and zouma are under-21 so they dont need to be listed) out of which we have ENOUGH association trained player (HG-2) but just one club trained player (HG-1). last year essien was sacrificed. similarly if we "sacrifice" the 6th AM spot, coupled with JT, and 2 other players to be named (under-21), we can fulfil that quota too.

hence, i simply dont see what the hoopla here is?

With Josh I've lost hope on him developing into a top player because almost everyone of his loan moves just haven't really developed him. Maybe it's better for him to stay at Cobham and train with top players.

But yeah, we might start signing HG players for the sake of it now - or at least someone who's HG will probably have brownie points over someone who doesn't.

It's why a Song signing would make sense too though, since he is homegrown too. Luke Shaw as well, even though he's very expensive.

We could be fine too with the u21's who count as HG because we can just register them and it'll fill the quota.

To be fair we're not as fucked as City. They've only got Hart. Barry & Lescott are out of contract, Milner and Richards have already said they're off. Sinclair will be off too. They might make Rodwell & Milner see out their final year.

He's there as an U21 but will Kalas be homegrown when he no longer qualifies as an U21?

Also, how is Piazon HG? He's only been at the club for two and a half years, most of that time on loan at clubs outside England. That's what has always been unclear to me, does it matter homegrown-wise if a player goes on loan to a foreign club?

Did a check on the HG status of our squad last week and we should be fine, even with a few signings, because there will be some departures as well but long-term it would be great to have a few new HG players in, either from our own academy or bought from other English clubs..

No, I don't think Kalas will be as he didn't spend 3 years in England. Piazon has been with us for 4 and a half years if I'm not mistaken and he has spent 3 years here in England. That's why we waited till Jan of last year to start loaning him out.

No, I don't think Kalas will be as he didn't spend 3 years in England. Piazon has been with us for 4 and a half years if I'm not mistaken and he has spent 3 years here in England. That's why we waited till Jan of last year to start loaning him out.

Piazon joined Chelsea in 2012, on the day he turned 18 sometime in January. The transfer was made official a year earlier and he started training with the reserves sometime later that year but surely that time won't count towards him being homegrown as he didn't even have a contract yet? Then in January 2013 he went on loan to Malaga having only spent a year at the club and after that he headed straight to Vitesse for the 13/14 season. In short, he's been on loan more than he has been at Chelsea so I'm having a really hard time figuring out how he's supposed to be homegrown when for example Tomas Kalas is not when he too has been under contract with the club ever since he was 18 years old and that was almost four years ago. If time spent on loan counts towards a player being HG, then surely Kalas should qualify as one too.

Piazon joined Chelsea in 2012, on the day he turned 18 sometime in January. The transfer was made official a year earlier and he started training with the reserves sometime later that year but surely that time won't count towards him being homegrown as he didn't even have a contract yet? Then in January 2013 he went on loan to Malaga having only spent a year at the club and after that he headed straight to Vitesse for the 13/14 season. In short, he's been on loan more than he has been at Chelsea so I'm having a really hard time figuring out how he's supposed to be homegrown when for example Tomas Kalas is not when he too has been under contract with the club ever since he was 18 years old and that was almost four years ago. If time spent on loan counts towards a player being HG, then surely Kalas should qualify as one too.

I'm pretty sure that the years spent in the academy even without a contract count. That's kinda the whole point of the homegrown quota: to bring player from the academy through. And thechels.com says that he has been here since 2010 which is 4 and half years. Meaning he's spent 3 years here before going on loan for the past year and a half.

isn't Ake now home grown for next season?

Yeah, he is.

I don't understand this homegrown stuff. What are the requirements to be considered homegrown? How many do we need on the roster?

In a team of 25, the team need at least 8 home grown players. A homegrown player is, irrespective of nationality, someone who has trained in England for at least 3 years between ages of 16-21.