Refereeing Technology

Spike

Sepp Blatter suggests law change that would revolutionise football

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has called for managers to be allowed two challenges to refereeing decisions during a match - a move which would lead to a revolution in how the game is played.

Blatter suggested that immediate reviews of television evidence should be allowed for up to two challenges by each manager. The International FA Board, the game's law-making body, would have to agree to any such move and would take at least 18 months for a first decision.

Speaking at the FIFA Congress in Sao Paulo, Blatter told delegates: "We could do something more on the field of play.

"Why don't we give team managers the possibility of two challenges for refereeing during the match? If the manager disagrees with a decision why should he not ask for an immediate TV review with the referee?"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can have all the technology in the world and refs would still make mistakes and tonight was a prime example. Spend the money on academies and youth development instead.

The opposite is the case. The mistake was committed because a lack of technology. A supervising ref in front of a TV with a neutral Camera perspective could easily decide it wasn't a penalty.

The opposite is the case. The mistake was committed because a lack of technology. A supervising ref in front of a TV with a neutral Camera perspective could easily decide it wasn't a penalty.

But that's an issue. Goals are clearly defined, pens are not. Ref in front of TV will be put under pressure by managers and would make controversial decisions. And sometimes the main ref has better view than the camera, who should override who's decision? And in this case, how do you restart the game after that? With a drop ball inside the penalty box?! It's very impractical and will never remove the human errors from the game unless you have the game played by robots.

What about Croatia's goal? You can have two refs debate about that for half and hour and not agree. Do you stop the game while the refs debate? Who gets the last say?

Croatia's goal was scored in dead time, whatever the case maybe.

In the Neymar penalty decision, he was handled from behind and you need a dynamometer to say it was or it was n't. The sportcasters who said "not in sixteen thousand years" were looking for leg contact.

Blatter method is silly.

Instead they ought to decide on the hierarchy of decision making process so those mistakes that can easily be corrected by use of the video, are corrected.

For example a throw in given to the wrong side, or a corner kick that was given as a goal kick can easily be corrected - there is nothing to it. And many more situations, like the goal line thing for instance, for which they found a solution.

I have for many years with the growing number of horrible refereeing decisions thought like video refereeing should be introduced. We have all see it in rugby. It takes a few seconds to stop and look at it and make the right decision.

The reason they don't want it is refs wouldn't not be able to cheat as they do. Without such ***** refs we would have won the league this year.

Then when the manager questions it like Jose did, it's fines and bans for telling the truth.

• 3 weeks later...

They can make tests.

In the late sixties UEFA I think it was organized some friendlies without offside rule (or modified offside rule) to see if it works.

It failed and those matches were silly but it served the purpose of helping them make up their mind.

I have for many years with the growing number of horrible refereeing decisions thought like video refereeing should be introduced. We have all see it in rugby. It takes a few seconds to stop and look at it and make the right decision.

The reason they don't want it is refs wouldn't not be able to cheat as they do. Without such ***** refs we would have won the league this year.

Then when the manager questions it like Jose did, it's fines and bans for telling the truth.

I can see it being used for offside but not for foul.

I am not sure how it is being used in rugby but in american football and basketball, they have extensive use of video technology but they don't use it for foul because foul call is subjective.

I can see it being used for offside but not for foul.

I am not sure how it is being used in rugby but in american football and basketball, they have extensive use of video technology but they don't use it for foul because foul call is subjective.

last weekend in Rugby test S Africa v Wales video ref ruled on a foul tackle in the last minute which led to S Africa win

• 2 weeks later...

They can make tests.

In the late sixties UEFA I think it was organized some friendlies without offside rule (or modified offside rule) to see if it works.

It failed and those matches were silly but it served the purpose of helping them make up their mind.

I love playing FIFA with the offsides rule turned off and not telling my opponent, usually my brother. He gets FURIOUS, absolutely livid when I score and the player was miles offside lol. I always just shake my head like, "I dunno man, coulda gone either way...tough call"

He's caught on lately.

lol it's a completely different game with no offsides.

I love playing FIFA with the offsides rule turned off and not telling my opponent, usually my brother. He gets FURIOUS, absolutely livid when I score and the player was miles offside lol. I always just shake my head like, "I dunno man, coulda gone either way...tough call"

He's caught on lately.

LOL. That is just pure evil mate.

He's caught on lately.

Lmaooo!!! That's hilarious! You're wrong for that!!!