Your Chelsea FC Memories

Amblève.

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I confess I've been at the Southern Comfort but I am totally enjoying this vid. Those tackles are a lot of fun to watch.

Great video. My dad went to the Wembley final, I think he was 10 at the time (ironically he took me to the 1997 cup final when I was 10) and he always speaks fondly of the late 60's/early 70's team (similar to how I feel about the mid to late 90's team to be honest). I must admit I love watching old videos of them because they played some really good football at the time and had some real characters in the team.

Little side note my dad spent a good chunk of his childhood in London before my granddad moved down to Gloucester with the RAF. My granddad is a Spurs fan but took the kids to watch all the London teams in those days and my dad decided to support Chelsea after going to watch them whilst his younger brother chose Arsenal. My dad's eldest brother chose Liverpool as that is where my nan was born. I don't think there was much banter from any of them growing up it was just full on rows and fights!

10 hours ago, Special Juan said:

ZDS cup final v Boro...Tony Dorigo free-kick past Steve Pears in the Boro goal.

Mad day it kicked off everywhere Boro were well up for after the play offs in 88. My mate got hit by a coppers truncheon luckily just a glancing blow,

8 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Mad day it kicked off everywhere Boro were well up for after the play offs in 88. My mate got hit by a coppers truncheon luckily just a glancing blow,

Funny thing is the man who managed Boro that day was Tony Mowbray, he's a good friend of mine who I drink with and my little lad is coached by Mark Proctor who captained Boro that day

1 hour ago, Special Juan said:

Funny thing is the man who managed Boro that day was Tony Mowbray, he's a good friend of mine who I drink with and my little lad is coached by Mark Proctor who captained Boro that day

He might have played but Mowbray wasn't their manager.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Does anyone of you older members remember Petar Borota?

Saw his debut against Liverpool me and my mate got badly crushed in the Shed that day. To say he was eccentric was an understatement he was the first sweeper keeper. We were really shit back then and his first season we got relegated with only 20 points although he didn't sign till about March. 

We nearly got promoted in 1980 but after that the team and Borata went badly downhill the lowpoint was the 6-0 loss to Rotherham in 1981 there were rumours he was drunk that day and I'm not sure he played for us again.. He was often in the pub pretty soon after the final whistle when we were at home apparently.

He's the definition of a cult hero and is remembered fondly by all us old boys he was a decent keeper and the first player I ever saw kick the ball out when an opposing player was lying down injured he got widely applauded in the media for that and rightly so.

42 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Saw his debut against Liverpool me and my mate got badly crushed in the Shed that day. To say he was eccentric was an understatement he was the first sweeper keeper. We were really shit back then and his first season we got relegated with only 20 points although he didn't sign till about March. 

We nearly got promoted in 1980 but after that the team and Borata went badly downhill the lowpoint was the 6-0 loss to Rotherham in 1981 there were rumours he was drunk that day and I'm not sure he played for us again.. He was often in the pub pretty soon after the final whistle when we were at home apparently.

He's the definition of a cult hero and is remembered fondly by all us old boys he was a decent keeper and the first player I ever saw kick the ball out when an opposing player was lying down injured he got widely applauded in the media for that and rightly so.

He was voted POTY in second season, correct? 

And I heard he once went into the net with the ball to pick up the cap 😂 

16 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

He was a bit radio rental. Bouncing the ball off the bar in the middle of a match....

He went to prison for art theft

he was passing off stolen paintings as his own as part of a gang, lolo

Painting a pretty picture

In a bizarre case of football imitating art (literally), former Chelsea 'keeper Peter Borota was somehow managing to carve out a half decent career as a painter until it was discovered that all the paintings he tried to pass off as his own were in fact stolen, receiving a six-month prison sentence for his trouble. You can just image what that did to the egos of the critics who, up until then, had heaped lavish praise onto the Yugoslavian custodian…

Peter Borota - The greatest rebel among goalkeepers

Peter Borota was Chelsea's eccentric goalkeeper, a rocker among athletes and a painter among footballers. For the first time, his sister Mirjana, exclusively for Pressmagazin, tells the story of the Paja Jovanovic canvas affair and about Borotta's last days in Italy

http://www.pressonline.rs/sr/vesti/PresMagazin/story/173948/Petar+Borota+-+Najveći+buntovnik+među+golmanima.html

There are many who love goalkeeper Peter Borot, and they were born after the goal given to him by Sestic at the Red Star and Partizan derby in the late 1970s. And it is not just those who sleep on YouTube where the moment from the match between Red Star and Partizan was recorded when Shell just approached and, Borotti dropping the ball to the ground, scored.

Only Borota was convinced throughout the stadium that the referee played the intermission. And for many, this is the first association of a goalkeeper who passed away last year in Genoa, Italy. And the other one is from London when he defended for Chelsea. He remembers, after one bravura intervention, his entering the goal with the ball, all to lift the cap. These are the two pictures and episodes from the biography of a football player with an ace on his back that is known by everyone, from a research associate in Vinca to autolimar on the Ibar Highway.

But in order for those who have never watched Borota and never heard of the episodes "Six" and "Hat" to approach the personality of this goalkeeper, it is necessary to recall the week in which the news of his death in Genoa was reported in the media. And in that week the texts about Borota were more than symbolic. More specifically, they portrayed the true character of the controversial goalie. The news of Borota's death was found only in short lines on the sports pages of the daily papers, where the biography was transmitted with the episodes "Six" and "The Hat in London" already mentioned.

And then the texts about the eccentric goalkeeper moved to foreign cultures and even columns. And it was completely logical because Peter Borota came out of the dimensions of the sports sides. The unconventional careers and lives of goalkeepers Chelsea, Partizan and OFK Belgrade could also be described as things that were not directly related to sports. Peter the Great came to Chelsea in 1979 to a stadium that, like today, was located in the Kings Road neighborhood, where the punk was launched, where the Sex boutique, owned by Vivienne Westwood, and where Malcolm McLaren get together the Sex Pistols group. And Borotta's career in Chelsea flirted with punk, at least in terms of unconventionality and rebellion. He even described in one interview his London episode in which he was approached by a punk and asked to have his autograph written on his arm.

And London news was full of stories peculiar to rock rebels. Borota climbed on the counter, going out of the penalty area dribbling the opposing attackers and, of course, forgetting the cap after excellent intervention. There were legends, one of which is known about the ball that broke after one of his interventions. The former patented the foreplay of deportation by first cracking the ball in the crossbar, which regularly caused the hair to be pulled off the Chelsea coaching bench.

Unconventionality at matches spilled over into life itself. A bunch of controversy has to do with the Belgrade goalkeeper. The London episode was followed by a story about his avoidance of military service, which caused him to be imprisoned in the former Yugoslavia. Later, everything was smoothed out, and a middle ground was found, but by then rumors were circulating that he had sought political asylum and had emigrated to South Africa, which was then chained to isolation. And then, when Borotta after Chelsea, Porto, Boavista ... threw on his gloves and returned to Belgrade, the news arrived, which brought him back to the scandal genre, but this time the matter was more serious. Petar Borota was arrested as the alleged organizer of the robbery of Paja Jovanovic's paintings. From those days until February 12, 2010, when it was announced that he had died of a serious illness in Genoa, no order had been made about him.

Mirjana, the sister of Petra Borote, has had insight into episodes from the famous ex-goalkeeper of Italy all year. For the first time, she reveals to the Pressmagazin the backdrop of unsolved episodes from her brother's life.
- After his football career ended, Peter returned to Belgrade. At first he wanted to be the goalkeeper coach at Partizan, but he did not welcome the club. He opened a perfume shop at the Slavija Hotel. The only thing that was a constant in his life was painting. He had an exhibition at SKC during his goalkeeping career in Partizan. London, and on his return to Belgrade, he planned a major retrospective of his works - describes Mirjana Borotin's life after his career.

But before that exhibition takes place, painting, or rather a few paintings by Paja Jovanovic, will lead to a dramatic episode in Borot's life.

- Peter loved to sit in the popular "Cvetic", a cafe near Cvetni Square, across from the Third Belgrade High School. And in that "Cvetic" in 1994, what would happen to my brother would change his life permanently. People with pictures rolled up came to his table. They wanted Peter to evaluate their value, and these were works by Paja Jovanovic that were stolen from a monastery near Fantast Castle. They didn't even know what they had in their hands and they wanted my brother to evaluate the value. This crew was probably followed, as soon the police entered Cvetic and arrested my brother with pictures in his hands.

Mirjana goes on to say that Borota spent six months in a pre-trial detention center after deciding to leave Belgrade and move to Italy.

- He was a great emotional person. He couldn't bear what had happened to him. He went to Genoa, where he lived to death without any papers and documents. He had several friends who accepted him. He got along. He painted and made exhibitions. Reviews of his exhibitions were published in Italian newspapers.

A few years ago, Mirjana went to visit her brother in Genoa without realizing it was their last meeting.

- I went to a friend in Italy and used that trip to visit him in Genoa. I had a wonderful day with him. I never knew I would never see him again. He changed drastically. It was no longer the crazy Per who received that shot from Sestic and who came in with Chelsea's goal. He became a loner, locked only in his paintings. There was no mention of football - Borota's sister recalls.

Borot's originality was not only eccentric defenses and dribbling in the field, painting, but also styling. The first patented long shorts, which would later be taken over by many world-renowned "units".

- That shorts was neither "adidas" nor "puma" but came from his mother's sewing machine. She sewed it with all those reinforcements. Peter was a goalkeeper, an artist, but also a 16-man model. And it was a product of its originality. He always owned it. It was original in everything, even in gifts. Only he could buy me a pink bear as a kid - Mirjana testifies.

In addition to originality, Mirjana also points out that Peter did not want to burden anyone with his problems. He lost the money he earned as a footballer. He kept himself purely from pictures.

- We spoke on the phone for the last time in January 2010. A few days after the New Year. He had a hard time talking. We didn't know what was wrong with him. I told him, "Tell me what's going on? Do not ax your mother. "He replied," I am fine. I have tonsillitis. Everything will be fine. Take care of my mom. " It was our last conversation. He died on February 12th. On the same day that his father died in 1980 - his last conversation with Borot describes his sister.

Apart from this coincidence of the date of death, there was also symbolism. The first game Chelsea played at Stamford Bridge after Borot's death was against the same team that Peter the Great debuted at - Liverpool before captain Terry and Gerrard shook hands at Stamford followed by a minute of silence followed by a digital epitaph at the stadium scoreboard 

Dale Jasper who played for us in the 80's died yesterday aged 56 only a couple of years older than me. It has to be said he's mainly remembered for giving away two penalties against Sunderland in the league cup semi final in 1985. He replaced Joe McLaughlin who got injured that night and big Joe and Colin Pates were such a good partnership it would have been hard to just slot in especially in such a big game . The second leg was pure mayhem and was probably the most violent night I've ever witnessed at the Bridge.

RIP Dale.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/01/31/dale-jasper-1964-2020

11 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Dale Jasper who played for us in the 80's died yesterday aged 56 only a couple of years older than me. It has to be said he's mainly remembered for giving away two penalties against Sunderland in the league cup semi final in 1985. He replaced Joe McLaughlin who got injured that night and big Joe and Colin Pates were such a good partnership it would have been hard to just slot in especially in such a big game . The second leg was pure mayhem and was probably the most violent night I've ever witnessed at the Bridge.

RIP Dale.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/01/31/dale-jasper-1964-2020

He always interested others and delighted in asking me what I was doing on the team coach. I was reading the plays of the Russian literary giant Anton Chekhov one day and Dale, much to my surprise, said he knew Chekhov’s work well. He then said he was surprised that I was a Star Trek fan. Wrong Chekhov, but we had a great chat about Captain Kirk, Mr Spock, Sulu and Chekhov all the same.

lol

RIP

sounds like he was a good bloke

6 hours ago, Vesper said:

He always interested others and delighted in asking me what I was doing on the team coach. I was reading the plays of the Russian literary giant Anton Chekhov one day and Dale, much to my surprise, said he knew Chekhov’s work well. He then said he was surprised that I was a Star Trek fan. Wrong Chekhov, but we had a great chat about Captain Kirk, Mr Spock, Sulu and Chekhov all the same.

lol

RIP

sounds like he was a good bloke

Reminds me of a Jasper Carrot story. He was in the States when he noticed his friend's reg plate spelt B O L O X 356 so he started laughing.

His friend asked what he was laughing at so he told her and rather than tell her it was a swear word he told her it was English slang for zits.

A couple of years later the friend was in the UK on holiday and when she met up with JC she started calling him a limey bastard and how could you do this to me ?.

He said woah slow down what have I done ? She said '' I've just been in Boots the chemist with my teenage son and in front of a big queue I pointed at his face and said to the assistant  have you got anything for the bollocks on my son's face '':D

3 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Reminds me of a Jasper Carrot story. He was in the States when he noticed his friend's reg plate spelt B O L O X 356 so he started laughing.

His friend asked what he was laughing at so he told her and rather than tell her it was a swear word he told her it was English slang for zits.

A couple of years later the friend was in the UK on holiday and when she met up with JC she started calling him a limey bastard and how could you do this to me ?.

He said woah slow down what have I done ? She said '' I've just been in Boots the chemist with my teenage son and in front of a big queue I pointed at his face and said to the assistant  have you got anything for the bollocks on my son's face '':D

roflmaooooooooooooooooooooooooo