Chelsea Officially Signed Willian

Its not that. It is the vitriol and cynicism dripping from your post that is. Indeed you are right, he hasn't got the chance to prove it HERE. You saying he is ballon dor whatever blahblahblah is what is bull. Nobody did that. Also, it means you as well are qualifyong him without seeing him play. Some of us did. A lot.

I'm having a joke about the fact that people seem to think he's the real deal when he's only played a game for us. I have seen him play, and he is promising. But thats about it, people think he should start week in week out and is as good as Hazard and Mata - He isn't.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having a joke about the fact that people seem to think he's the real deal when he's only played a game for us. I have seen him play, and he is promising. But thats about it, people think he should start week in week out and is as good as Hazard and Mata - He isn't.

I haven't seen anyone on here say he's better/as good as Mata & Hazard. I have seen people say that he's better than Hazard for Belgium though, which is true. Maybe like you say you were having a joke but your original post came across to me like you've been waiting for the opportunity to say it.

RE Willian, even though we're stacked with attacking midfielders he does bring that bit of dynamism that we've maybe lacked in our build up.

I haven't seen anyone on here say he's better/as good as Mata & Hazard. I have seen people say that he's better than Hazard for Belgium though, which is true. Maybe like you say you were having a joke but your original post came across to me like you've been waiting for the opportunity to say it.

RE Willian, even though we're stacked with attacking midfielders he does bring that bit of dynamism that we've maybe lacked in our build up.

I want us to give the lad a fair chance, he was being overhyped before even kicking a ball for Chelsea here, people saying he should go on loan because of Willian which is crazy. For the record, I'd like to see KDB in the pivot, think he'd do well there.

Agree with you on Willian, big and powerful, can burst through a defence when passing isn't working.

Chelsea are now at the stage where we can bring on players off the bench that are better then on the pitch. A brilliant position to be in.

If Passing aint working, we'll just dribble our way to goal. Robben's second goal against nurmberg today is exactly this. No one can afford to double mark hazard or they will risk leaving the other flank free and hazard will even shine more this season because of this.

If your winning things you can.

But some of these egos might want to be a part of the side that wins things. Look at Lukaku three years ago when he joined the club that he grew up supporting.. he hardly played at all during our winning Champions League campaign.. and as a result he didn't want to touch the trophy or anything because he felt that hadn't contributed to the team enough to be able to do that.

On the other hand, Andre Schurrle said on Friday Night Chelsea TV that it's good to have big competition for places in the starting XI because it will make the players work harder to get into the team, and hopefully, they will show us fans what they're all about talent-wise.

Mourinho has a massive headache to deal with this season.. I truly believe that we don't need Willian, but from all the YouTube videos et cetera, he looks sexy on the ball, and can do a lot with it. I however, wouldn't say no to big competition within the team, so that the players can become the best they can be, and thus building a huge future for our club.

Been on the fence about this transfer. He certainly offers something a little bit different from the other options we have and it's in a massively important position for our team. He works well in a counter-attacking team, but also has that little bit of something special that can take him past players which will be vital in games where we dominate possession.

On the other hand he is expensive and there's always a concern about players getting game time, but in this instance I trust the club. It's also nice to fuck over Spurs and their plans.

On Willian: All I know is that when we played Shaktar I thought 'This Willian is an absolute nuisance'. A giant thorn in our side the entire game. Couldn't get the ball off him. Everything good from Shaktar pretty much went through him (and Fernadinho).

I couldn't help but think 'How could a lad from the Ukranian League cause so much hassle to our entire team?'. And at THAT time, he was more influential than either Hazard or Oscar, never mind Moses.

On Moses: Yes, there were times last season when he played very, very well but there we other times he was average and sometimes absolute dog dirt. Our counter-attacks would often fall flat because of his terrible touches, poor decision making or the inability to confidently carry the ball up the pitch. So if he does go on loan, I'm not sure why people should be so against it. The best that comes from it is that he comes back a better player, the worst is that we sell him for a similar price we bought him for...

On the possibility of others losing game time: I seriously don't think it's going to be as bad as some are making out. A lot of people here are assuming Hazard and Mata will stay fully fit for the entire season and start 90% of games like last season, even when it was clear at times that the pair were being overplayed and should've been rested a lot more. Hazard became jaded after just a few weeks because of the insane influx of games he was asked to start.

Just imagine for a moment that either Mata or Hazard became injured last season for over a month or two...imagine the pressure it would put on Hazard if Mata became injured etc. My word, with the amount of games we had, I'd say it would've been a massive loss. At times we've looked clueless without the midfield influence of Mata or the directness of Hazard. Who knows, we could've even lost out on CL football. We could've ended up not being able to sign players of Willian's quality!

What if Mata was injured before the Old Trafford game? Or Hazard pulled that hamstring a few games earlier? My point is, you can never have enough quality distributed throughout the team and Willian is top quality.

Adding to this, there's still the possibility of us playing variations of 4-3-3 in certain games. Especially now with Willian on the RW (Why else was Mourinho testing it out in pre-season?). This would free up at least 2 CM positions which could be filled by any of Ramires, MvG, KDB and even Oscar.

Yes, we are in dire need of a ST and DM, but we should be happy we're signing a quality player no matter what the position. There's still a possibility we could sign a DM/ST. Mourinho obviously wants another ST, so I'm sure we'll still sign one even if it's 'Plan B or C'. He tried to get us Lewandowski and apparently we were also in for Fernadinho as well.

It's not all doom and gloom folks. Be happy we have another quality player at our disposal to take some of the burden off Mata/Hazard/Oscar! Be happy that we are now the proud owners of one of the best attacking midfields in Europe! :D

P.S. This means we can also kiss goodbye to Bertrand on the left and Ramires on the right!

On Willian: All I know is that when we played Shaktar I thought 'This Willian is an absolute nuisance'. A giant thorn in our side the entire game. Couldn't get the ball off him. Everything good from Shaktar pretty much went through him (and Fernadinho).

I couldn't help but think 'How could a lad from the Ukranian League cause so much hassle to our entire team?'. And at THAT time, he was more influential than either Hazard or Oscar, never mind Moses.

On Moses: Yes, there were times last season when he played very, very well but there we other times he was average and sometimes absolute dog dirt. Our counter-attacks would often fall flat because of his terrible touches, poor decision making or the inability to confidently carry the ball up the pitch. So if he does go on loan, I'm not sure why people should be so against it. The best that comes from it is that he comes back a better player, the worst is that we sell him for a similar price we bought him for...

On the possibility of others losing game time: I seriously don't think it's going to be as bad as some are making out. A lot of people here are assuming Hazard and Mata will stay fully fit for the entire season and start 90% of games like last season, even when it was clear at times that the pair were being overplayed and should've been rested a lot more. Hazard became jaded after just a few week because of the insane influx of games he was asked to start.

Just imagine for a moment that either Mata or Hazard became injured last season for over a month or two...imagine the pressure it would put on Hazard if Mata became injured etc. My word, with the amount of games we had, I'd say it would've been a massive loss. At times we've looked clueless without the midfield influence of Mata or the directness of Hazard. Who knows, we could've even lost out on CL football. We could've ended up not being able to sign players of Willian's quality!

What if Mata was injured before the Old Trafford game? Or Hazard pulled that hamstring a few games earlier? My point is, you can never have enough quality distributed throughout the team and Willian is top quality.

Adding to this, there's still the possibility of us playing variations of 4-3-3 in certain games. Especially now with Willian on the RW (Why else was Mourinho testing it out in pre-season?). This would free up at least 2 CM positions which could be filled by any of Ramires, MvG, KDB and even Oscar.

Yes, we are in dire need of a ST and DM, but we should be happy we're signing a quality player no matter what the position. There's still a possibility we could sign a DM/ST. Mourinho obviously wants another ST, so I'm sure we'll still sign one even if it's 'Plan B or C'. Apparently we were also in for Fernadinho as well. It's not all doom and gloom folks. Be happy we have another quality player at our disposal to take some of the burden off Mata/Hazard/Oscar! :D

Lovely post, Mak!