First choice defence

50 members have voted

1. 1. What would be your first choice defensive combination ?

• Ivan-Luiz-Terry-Cole
    • Bosingwa-Luiz-Terry-Cole
    • Bosingwa-Ivan/Alex-Terry-Cole
    • Ivan-Alex-Terry-Cole

Ivan-Luiz-Terry-Cole

Ivan = best right back in the league last season.

Luiz = already looking top class.

JT = one of the best in the world, undervalued by alot of supporters.

Ash = the best left back in the world.

Can't understand people voting for Bos over Ivan. Good going forward, absolute liability defensively.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As we found out to our cost earlier this season it is a squad game these days.

For this season use Luiz for the prem games with one of Terry and Alex rotate them in league games to keep the pair fresh when the CL comes along.

The 1st choice back line to me has to be Ivan-Luiz-JT-Cole but Alex will get plenty of games all 4 cant stay 100% fit all season.

We didn't buy Luiz to play him RB. The kid's top class at CB and he'll only be better once he gets more games under his belt.

We didn't buy Ivanovic to play him there, either.

Personally, I'd like the idea, if we're going to play 4-4-2, of having Bosingwa in the right midfield position.

We didn't buy Ivanovic to play him there, either.

Personally, I'd like the idea, if we're going to play 4-4-2, of having Bosingwa in the right midfield position.

True, but then we didn't spunk 26 million on Ivanovic in the middle of the season to solve a 'defensive crisis'.

I have to agree with tomo & state that Ancelotti will use different players for the CL & the Prem much the same as he is sort of rotating the strikers. If you had to nail me down for a back four I would go with - Ivanovich, Alex, JT & Cole. Ivanovich is a far better defender than Bosingwa, offers something from dead ball situations & Bosingwa seems to of lost his offensive abilities. Alex is a superb defender especially against the big brutes of the league & he was magnificent for us last season, JT is only second to Cech for us this campaign for our player of the year, Cole despite having a poor season by his standards is there because he is the best left back in the world.

That said I would still play Luiz as he has so much in his locker that he wouldn't look out of place in midfield, he has to learn about the prem defensively, that's why Alex would get my nod but Luiz is such a versatile player that he could get in the side in a few positions.

It's always good to have a lot of top quality defenders in a squad to improve competition and performance. However, honestly feel Luiz should be included in our defence from now on. I feel that he's shown what he can really do at this level, and, as a result, he's already whacked up 2 MOTM performances in 2 and a bit games so far.

Seeing him in those two games, I feel that he's the ideal player to have in the middle alongside Terry. I think that Terry works well with a sweeper alongside him. Furthermore, Luiz is a spitting image of Carvalho when he used to play alongside him. He always used to come out with the ball so quickly and play it to the winger, and he was never shy of a tackle. Not to mention he has almost the same appearance and playing style as one Carles Puyol.

With Alex however, don't knock his ability to score a sensational free kick, but defensively, I feel he's far too similar to Terry in the way he defends, and I think that sometimes him and Terry can make silly mistakes because of this reason. I can remember one game during our double winning season, the 2-0 win away at Wolves when Terry didn't have a clue and was hoofing the ball worredly to the opposing attacker, and Alex was always far too slow to react.

As for Bosingwa... much as I want him to start more games with us, and I like his playing style, I also like Ivanovic as well, and it's a tough decision for Carlo every week whether he chooses to play defensively, or offensively. If it were offensive, I would play Bosingwa at right back because he's much quicker than Brano. However, I would turn to Brano on the defensive side because Brano defends a lot better than Bosingwa, and that determination (there's that word again) in his style of play makes him a fan favourite, and you can't not bench someone like that every week.

So, I've had to go with "Brano - Luiz - Terry - Cole" as my preferred defence.

what about????-

ivanovic---alex---terry---a.cole

------------------luiz---------------

luiz DM? could get forward more and still do his defensive jobs, and maybe let essien get forward more depending on formation

As of this moment, Alex is a better CB than Luiz.

Luiz is brilliant going up and adds more as an attacking threat but he still has to work on his defending and isn't there yet when you compare him to Alex. He gave away the penalty against Fulham and might have been sent off against United. It was something which we got used to living with when Carvalho was around but Alex is more composed than that and has a powerful shot on him too.

Again, it's only as of this moment if both of them fully fit and on form

Luiz is brilliant going up and adds more as an attacking threat but he still has to work on his defending and isn't there yet when you compare him to Alex. He gave away the penalty against Fulham and might have been sent off against United. It was something which we got used to living with when Carvalho was around but Alex is more composed than that and has a powerful shot on him too.

thats true, alex as always been solid anytime he wears the chelsea shirt. definitely one of our best centrebacks

On a technical level, David Luiz is the better player. Alex is a substitute for this football club now, Simple.