Daniel Sturridge

Badboy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like Sturridge very much and wish he could play more. Even if he doesn't always peform I see the talent is quite clearly there. Sturridge isn't getting any serious game time, Carling Cup games and a dead rubber against Zilina don't make up for sitting on the bench almost all year.

I've read quotes by him today in which he states if he doesn't get much playing time he will move on. Good! He is finally coming to his senses. He has wasted a year and a half sitting on the bench at Chelsea at a time in his career when he needs to be playing constantly.

We can all talk this nonsense about players getting old and nows a good time to a Chelsea youth but even with Malaria Drogba is starting every game! Sturridge shold think about his career and move on.

I do agree, Sturridge is a fantastic youth player to have. He's got the ability to be a 15-20goal scorer (per season). If I was a neutral I'd share your views, but as a Chelsea fan I want Sturridge at Chelsea. I know there will be declines in our forwards' performances, and I know eventually Carlo will have to play the youth. Sturridge is the 2nd main substitute for the strikers, with Kakuta not taking his chances. I don't like the fact Kalou is the first, but Sturridge is showing the signs that he's willing to step up his performance when called upon. As long as he keeps making the most of his chances, he will soon grow into a main forward for us. There's still a long way to go this season. Who knows, Carlo may surprise us and give Sturridge a start for tomorrow and if not an early substitute appearance.

I do agree, Sturridge is a fantastic youth player to have. He's got the ability to be a 15-20goal scorer (per season). If I was a neutral I'd share your views, but as a Chelsea fan I want Sturridge at Chelsea. I know there will be declines in our forwards' performances, and I know eventually Carlo will have to play the youth. Sturridge is the 2nd main substitute for the strikers, with Kakuta not taking his chances. I don't like the fact Kalou is the first, but Sturridge is showing the signs that he's willing to step up his performance when called upon. As long as he keeps making the most of his chances, he will soon grow into a main forward for us. There's still a long way to go this season. Who knows, Carlo may surprise us and give Sturridge a start for tomorrow and if not an early substitute appearance.

Sorry to go off topic, but Kalou is the best impact sub at CFC.

Studge will be a better starter imo, he won't do well as a sub, he needs time to grow into a game from what I've seen of him though he is capable of the odd spark when brought on, case in point Utd Community Shield, Blackburn away.

Sorry to go off topic, but Kalou is the best impact sub at CFC.

Studge will be a better starter imo, he won't do well as a sub, he needs time to grow into a game from what I've seen of him though he is capable of the odd spark when brought on, case in point Utd Community Shield, Blackburn away.

Agreed on that. But what I meant was, until Sturridge gets his starts I'd prefer him as the #1 substitute

Sigh, I get the feeling sometimes you just resent our youth :lol:

But seriously, Sturridge is getting his chances and soon we will see him featured more and more (probably ahead of Anelka). He proved vs Zilina what an impact player he is, with his pace, his shooting and his keen sense of attack. Also, this is a perfect time to come for Chelsea, Anelka & Drogba will start declining now they've passed the 30-age barrier. Even if their performances are perfect, their stamina will start to go down and they won't be able to play 2 games a week, so Sturridge will get his chance. I honestly believe it won't be long till he gets a full 90mins in the Premier League. Keep the faith :)

Wish i could be as optimistic as you.

I don't think many realise that the amount game time our youngsters are getting is very low. The likes of Messi, Fabregas, Pato and many others did not become who they are today with the amount of game time our coach(es) is giving/gave them. What a player like Sturridge needs is a good run in the first XI and not start him a game and then just bench him again. That hardly helps a player, especially attackers. They need a lot confidence and a coach that believes in him.

Just look at Gareth Bale, he almost reached ''player who could not fulfill his potential'' status. But got an oppurtinity to start a string of games and look where he is right now.

Which says it all. We're all blinded by the love for our club but we have to be honest. Daniel Sturridge is a very good young player and will only get better by playing. A buy back clause would be ideal, if he develops (which is very likely) then buy him back. Many of the Spanish clubs do it.

Wish i could be as optimistic as you.

I don't think many realise that the amount game time our youngsters are getting is very low. The likes of Messi, Fabregas, Pato and many others did not become who they are today with the amount of game time our coach(es) is giving/gave them. What a player like Sturridge needs is a good run in the first XI and not start him a game and then just bench him again. That hardly helps a player, especially attackers. They need a lot confidence and a coach that believes in him.

Just look at Gareth Bale, he almost reached ''player who could not fulfill his potential'' status. But got an oppurtinity to start a string of games and look where he is right now.

Hmm yeah. I guess there's 2 issue hampering youth progress to the extent of producing Bale's et-al.

1) We're a big club. This means we're expected to win all the time, so playing youth is a big risk.

2) Our manager is one who likes to extend the careers of the "old guys" as further as possible. The problem with this is, for every older player who gets more time, the less chance there is for the younger players. Even at Milan, Inzaghi was sometimes preferred to Pato (at the beginning). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Carlo's a bad manager but I'm sure the pressure placed on him by Roman means he doesn't want to risk the chance of losing with youth so much.

Tottenham can play their youth as much as they want because 1) Redknapp believes in them [giving them more belief] example would be: playing Rose in a North London Derby. 2) Spurs pride themselves on producing young talent, it's one of their forté's.

Which says it all. We're all blinded by the love for our club but we have to be honest. Daniel Sturridge is a very good young player and will only get better by playing. A buy back clause would be ideal, if he develops (which is very likely) then buy him back. Many of the Spanish clubs do it.

You're right. I personally, honestly think, If Carlo is not willing to take risks and start him more often the proposed loan to Swansea should have been accepted. He would've been a guaranteed starter there and if he'd have taken his chances to prove he's the real deal. Having said that, the fact that Chelsea did reject the loan move shows Carlo is intending to use him more. I know it will be hard to share my optimism, but I do believe Sturridge will grow into a starter this season.

You're right. I personally, honestly think, If Carlo is not willing to take risks and start him more often the proposed loan to Swansea should have been accepted. He would've been a guaranteed starter there and if he'd have taken his chances to prove he's the real deal. Having said that, the fact that Chelsea did reject the loan move shows Carlo is intending to use him more. I know it will be hard to share my optimism, but I do believe Sturridge will grow into a starter this season.

He is too good for Swansea and the Championship. It is most likely Sturridge who refused to go to Swansea on loan and not Carlo. I don't think Carlo is fussed if Sturridge stays or goes, he will continue to give him last resort/meaningless minutes.

As for the bold I think that is wishful thinking. His best bet is to get promoted to 1st substitute ahead of Kalou.

Hmm yeah. I guess there's 2 issue hampering youth progress to the extent of producing Bale's et-al.

1) We're a big club. This means we're expected to win all the time, so playing youth is a big risk.

2) Our manager is one who likes to extend the careers of the "old guys" as further as possible. The problem with this is, for every older player who gets more time, the less chance there is for the younger players. Even at Milan, Inzaghi was sometimes preferred to Pato (at the beginning). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Carlo's a bad manager but I'm sure the pressure placed on him by Roman means he doesn't want to risk the chance of losing with youth so much.

Tottenham can play their youth as much as they want because 1) Redknapp believes in them [giving them more belief] example would be: playing Rose in a North London Derby. 2) Spurs pride themselves on producing young talent, it's one of their forté's.

Issue 1:

The likes of all Balotelli, Fabregas, Pato, Messi, Rooney (i could go on and on and on..:P) were all at big clubs when they were at the start of their careers.

Issue 2:

Sadly that's true. But then again, why would the club assign a manager who loves experience and loves to extend the careers of old players to a aging squad..

He is too good for Swansea and the Championship. It is most likely Sturridge who refused to go to Swansea on loan and not Carlo. I don't think Carlo is fussed if Sturridge stays or goes, he will continue to give him last resort/meaningless minutes.

As for the bold I think that is wishful thinking. His best bet is to get promoted to 1st substitute ahead of Kalou.

It's hard for me to argue otherwise if I'm honest because you can't tell what Carlo's thinking. To base judgement on Tuesday's game would be wrong because, bad form or not, he would've played the youth for that game anyway, there was no risk factor. All I can do is hope you're wrong, because I want Sturridge to be one of the future greats of Chelsea.

Issue 1:

The likes of all Balotelli, Fabregas, Pato, Messi, Rooney (i could go on and on and on..:P) were all at big clubs when they were at the start of their careers.

Issue 2:

Sadly that's true. But then again, why would the club assign a manager who loves experience and loves to extend the careers of old players to a ageing squad..

Yeah, but then that brings me back to the manager issue. Arsene, Ferguson & co love showing off their youth talent (because they have plenty). And as for the 2nd issue, I suppose there's only one answer to that: Roman's obsession for Champions League glory, at the expense of anyone (in this case, youth talent)

Not neccisarily. We don't have a lot of options up front so the fact that a loan move would be rejected is kind of logical.

And from what i read, click here, it was Daniel who turned down the move.

Not neccisarily. We don't have a lot of options up front so the fact that a loan move would be rejected is kind of logical.

And from what i read, click here, it was Daniel who turned down the move.

'If the opportunities don't come in due time, obviously I will have to look elsewhere,' he adds. 'Because it is only a matter of time until you get frustrated. But you have to be patient at a club like Chelsea. 'Going out on loan doesn't always do you good. It could be better to stay and work hard because it will then feel so much better when you do get your chance.

'I want to be a regular at Chelsea - not anywhere else. I believe I am able to start games for Chelsea. I've spoken to the manager about getting opportunities.'

I really hope it doesn't come to him wanting to leave. I hope Carlo took him seriously about getting chances!

I really hope it doesn't come to him wanting to leave. I hope Carlo took him seriously about getting chances!

He probably said all the right things and forget about it the second Sturridge walked out of his office.:lol:

Lifes good when you'e this pessimistic. B)