Petr Cech

BlueLion.

4275638096soccerbarclay.jpgI have to say, Cech's been phenomenal this season.

Besides the combination of an odd mistake and sheer bad luck (the punch at West Ham wasn't that bad at all as Parker did brilliantly and the flap at Zilina which led to their consolation goal after hitting Ivanovic), he's been as good as I can remember.

His performance yesterday was certainly his best since the Nou Camp when we held Barcelona to a 0-0 draw; his handling was faultless and he made a couple of really good saves. Even when he didn't make saves, his presence of mind and quick reactions put both Ireland and Reo-Coker off and rushed them into taking their shots early.

He's made some excellent stops this season; a couple in the Arsenal game, a few smart saves yesterday and I also can recall a superb save to deny Graham Dorrans against West Brom back in August. He also seems to be a lot more vocal than he has been in the past - something I have been quite critical of. With no Alex yesterday I was worried that Villa might be too physical for us but Cech marshalled the team well and I can't fault him this season so far.

It's great to see him back to his best - only three goals conceded in 10 games and 7 clean sheets. Well done Petr. :cfc:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely Cech has been much better as a decision maker now. We always knew as a shot stopper he is probably the best keeper in the world, but he often struggled during set pieces, especially making decisions whether to come out or not. I think it was a subconscious fear after the head injury, but now I think he's over it. It's great to see him back on form, I think that incredible one hand save vs Arshavin 2 weeks ago showed his pure quality.

It's especially a good think due to our lack of back up keepers. If Cech started struggling we'd really be screwed, so let's hope he stays fit.

For me, Cech has been great since our 09/10 season. And like you said, he's been continuing his great form.

I think it's safe to say now that Petr is one of the top five goalkeepers in the world now, maybe even top three (Cech, César & Casillas, triple C's :clown:)

He stopped (touch wood anyway) doing random crazy things as well.Seems a lot more confident.Less punching the ball out to the other player like he did randomly for a while

And know he doesnt remember what happened at Reading but still takes guts to go for the ball near feet the way he does.

Agreed. As a goalkeeper myself, I can vouch that it takes a lot of courage to go in where it hurts. I know how it can also be a massive psychological barrier, as I received a horror injury along the same lines. I was 11 and playing in goal, and a sliding collision involving myself an an opposition striker saw my knee cap almost ripped out. I had to have a metal plate put in there, and now I have to wear protection on my left knee and a strapping on my left leg to offer some support. It really frightens me when I go to ground where there are boots and studs, so I know how Petr feels. It's really, really scary and I still haven't got over it.

An interesting stat is that Petr Cech has kept 11 clean sheets in his last 14 Premier League appearances. :blink:

Personally, I don't like giving all the credits to the goalkeeper when it comes to clean sheets. Great stat though.

Agreed. As a goalkeeper myself, I can vouch that it takes a lot of courage to go in where it hurts. I know how it can also be a massive psychological barrier, as I received a horror injury along the same lines. I was 11 and playing in goal, and a sliding collision involving myself an an opposition striker saw my knee cap almost ripped out. I had to have a metal plate put in there, and now I have to wear protection on my left knee and a strapping on my left leg to offer some support. It really frightens me when I go to ground where there are boots and studs, so I know how Petr feels. It's really, really scary and I still haven't got over it.

I feel your pain mate! i will most likely be looking at knee cap replacement when i am a bit older. I just got my Knee reconstruction at the start of the year and it has helped but it will never be the same.

I play goal keeper in indoor football at the moment haha, man of the match in my last 3 out of 4 games. Prettty good for someone who has never kept before haha! Should of seen my diving save tonight, was heading top left hand corner but dived across and parried it away!!!

But back on topic, Cech has been outstanding this season. He has been one of our best players by far and lets hope he keeps it up because there is no one better at the moment (besides myself of course :halo:)

I feel your pain mate! i will most likely be looking at knee cap replacement when i am a bit older. I just got my Knee reconstruction at the start of the year and it has helped but it will never be the same.

I play goal keeper in indoor football at the moment haha, man of the match in my last 3 out of 4 games. Prettty good for someone who has never kept before haha! Should of seen my diving save tonight, was heading top left hand corner but dived across and parried it away!!!

But back on topic, Cech has been outstanding this season. He has been one of our best players by far and lets hope he keeps it up because there is no one better at the moment (besides myself of course :halo:)

The reconstruction wasn't too bad for me (fortunately)... I had a plate put in for a couple of years and had that removed and the surgery took place about 14 months ago. But the knee won't ever be the same again, just not as strong as it used to be. Oh well!

Agreed about Cech's form. It isn't just the saves but the way he is commanding his area. He is coming for crosses you'd never see him even attempt a year or two ago. Is the confidence back? Maybe - but one thing for sure is he's being much braver.

I have a manc mate, and after the mistake he made for the Zilina goal he said, i think Cech is becoming a liability, i largely ignorned the comment at the time, then when he punched the ball to Parker in the West Ham game he said, I told you, he is a liability now. I said to him.... Are you having a laugh? Ok, it was a bit of a cock up for the Zilina goal but every player is going to make a mistake at some point, and how can you blame him for that goal (Parker) It was an amazing finish. He shut up. I can't remember the moment in the match but Cech made some sort of flap against Villa which made my 'mate' pipe up again. I put him straight about the three goals conceded and clean sheets etc and compared to Van Der Sar, again he shut up. I think if he makes a comment again i might have to headbutt him.

Every player makes mistakes. The main reason why the mistakes of goalkeepers are brought up so often is because they're the last line of defence; if a keeper makes an error then usually it leads to a goal. People are quick to congratulate strikers for scoring but barely complain when they miss a chance. Conversely, a goalkeeper makes a world class save and no-one gives two shits. But when they make a mistake.... well, you know where I'm going. It's part and parcel of being a goalkeeper and is the responsibility such a position entails.

He's getting better and better but the Zilina mistake was only a few weeks back remember. Lucky that was at a time of being 4-0 up and not against a City/United/Arsenal etc where it would have been much more highlighted.

Incredible goalkeeper, who set unbelievably high standards in his first year. He's always been brilliant, but he was always going to struggle to match that first season but it was near-on perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

Goalkeepers with best saves-to-shots ratio in Premier League (2010/11):

Goalkeeper Team Saves Made Saves to Shots Ratio

Gordon Sunderland 9 90.00%
Cech Chelsea 46 85.19%
Fabianski Arsenal 24 82.76%
Stockdale Fulham 16 80.00%
Hart Manchester City 39 79.59%
Schwarzer Fulham 34 79.07%
Begovic Stoke City 18 78.26%
Cudicini Tottenham Hotspur 13 76.47%
Foster Birmingham City 51 75.00%
Jääskeläinen Bolton Wanderers 38 74.51%

Goalkeepers with best saves-to-shots ratio in Premier League (2010/11):

Goalkeeper Team Saves Made Saves to Shots Ratio

Gordon Sunderland 9 90.00%
Cech Chelsea 46 85.19%
Fabianski Arsenal 24 82.76%
Stockdale Fulham 16 80.00%
Hart Manchester City 39 79.59%
Schwarzer Fulham 34 79.07%
Begovic Stoke City 18 78.26%
Cudicini Tottenham Hotspur 13 76.47%
Foster Birmingham City 51 75.00%
Jääskeläinen Bolton Wanderers 38 74.51%

outstanding stats from outstanding player (cech)........assuming the no. of games he has played which are way more than gordan shows he is exceptional in goal.......................