The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

See, that is a level headed opinion I can live with.

I'm not going to deny it - Ferguson was a master at manipulating, we all know it. It's not his fault they listened/acted though. He can only suggest things, and say things, it's the people who respond to it that should be targeted, for either not doing their job, or folding under pressure to a man who had 'no real power.'

Agreed. But as opposition fans, it's inevitable that we ask why did the FA just let it happen and not ban talking about refs before matches? But I realize that it's not that easy because Mourinho, for example, plays mind games to manipulate his opponents before a match. Is that too dis-similar to manipulating refs? Should the FA ban that as well? Where do you draw the line?

I personally think that the FA could have done better in some places, but it is definitely not an easy matter to deal with. Fergie knew that and he used it to his advantage.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know I'm going to be taking a wee break from the forums. I've become a little bit disillusioned by football recently and just need something of a break. Some of you may recall I did the same in the summer of 2011 as well; I'm just pre-occupied elsewhere with other matters, including my recovery from serious ankle ligament damage which I sustained today in an incident whilst coaching my team. Ouchy :(

Of course I still love the game and I adore my club, but for me right now, cricket is currently my favourite sport and I've been spending a lot of time at Trent Bridge watching my beloved Notts, and I've be continuing that through until October. Until then, football is on the back-burner; but of course I'll be engaging in it once more when the season starts again!

I'll be back in 10-14 days, without doubt. Just a little time to chill out, recover, and then get back into football. I may pop in from time-to-time to check on you all as well and swing Mjolnir should any bannings be necessary! :lol:

tumblr_mnvearY9ru1sqknbno1_500.gif

Ciao for now, and take care of yourselves!

Alex.

PS. if you need me, I'm on Twitter and Facebook.

See you later mate... Have a good break... :)

You will be missed, your definitely one of the top 10 staff members... :D

Agreed. But as opposition fans, it's inevitable that we ask why did the FA just let it happen and not ban talking about refs before matches? But I realize that it's not that easy because Mourinho, for example, plays mind games to manipulate his opponents before a match. Is that too dis-similar to manipulating refs? Should the FA ban that as well? Where do you draw the line?

I personally think that the FA could have done better in some places, but it is definitely not an easy matter to deal with. Fergie knew that and he used it to his advantage.

Of course it's understandable you'd question it, I would too. The FA are highly frustrating.

I think Mourinho has always been similar to Ferguson. They both manipulate to try and gain advantages, and why not? If people are susceptible to such things, I'd probably take advantage too (in terms of competition) so I've never seen the problem, and I've always loved Jose's comments to the media etc. All teams cheat in some way anyway, so the people that come out and complain are just jealous hypocrites, as they'll watch their team cheat week in week out. It's all the same thing - taking advantage.

See, that is a level headed opinion I can live with.

I'm not going to deny it - Ferguson was a master at manipulating, we all know it. It's not his fault they listened/acted though. He can only suggest things, and say things, it's the people who respond to it that should be targeted, for either not doing their job, or folding under pressure to a man who had 'no real power.'

He is not the referee. He can do nothing, maybe complain to the newspaper after the match or before the match, that is all. Maybe some referees let this complaint change their thinking, but they are not a computer that Ferguson controls.

It is just the bad grapes, I think, why people say these things.

I know I've been pissed beyond words after the first match against ManUtd last year (for EPL) because of the very poor officiating and I know they happen to have done doubtful calls that favor ManUtd for a few years now - especially when Howard Webb is officiating, BUT bad calls happen to all teams, in their favor or against them. Poor officiating has favored ManUtd awfully much lately - imo - but I can't call it corruption and I'm not even sure how much Fergie influenced on that and if he did, he was doing his job. He can - and should - ask for better officiating as many times as he wants. I don't like managers talking about officiating after matches because it comes off as whining and overlooking their own flaws except in extreme cases. I think that's for the board to complain when it's outrageous. Before the match is just their right and job as I said. Sometimes you have to pressure the referees so they'd think twice before being the man of the match. Sometimes they want to take the award from the players.

The thing about officiating favoring ManUtd more than anyone else and quite often imo isn't suspicious, just irritating, but that's part of football. It may cost UCL titles, but the team should overcome those things in the pitch as it is one of the variables. Not one I appreciate, but one nonetheless.

I know I've been pissed beyond words after the first match against ManUtd last year (for EPL) because of the very poor officiating and I know they happen to have done doubtful calls that favor ManUtd for a few years now - especially when Howard Webb is officiating, BUT bad calls happen to all teams, in their favor or against them. Poor officiating has favored ManUtd awfully much lately - imo - but I can't call it corruption and I'm not even sure how much Fergie influenced on that and if he did, he was doing his job. He can - and should - ask for better officiating as many times as he wants. I don't like managers talking about officiating after matches because it comes off as whining and overlooking their own flaws except in extreme cases. I think that's for the board to complain when it's outrageous. Before the match is just their right and job as I said. Sometimes you have to pressure the referees so they'd think twice before being the man of the match. Sometimes they want to take the award from the players.

The thing about officiating favoring ManUtd more than anyone else and quite often imo isn't suspicious, just irritating, but that's part of football. It may cost UCL titles, but the team should overcome those things in the pitch as it is one of the variables. Not one I appreciate, but one nonetheless.

A pretty fair summation.

Of course I still love the game and I adore my club, but for me right now, cricket is currently my favourite sport and I've been spending a lot of time at Trent Bridge watching my beloved Notts, and I've be continuing that through until October. Until then, football is on the back-burner; but of course I'll be engaging in it once more when the season starts again!

Cricket is a proper lazy summer sport

If I thought there was any chance of changing your mind perhaps I would engage further in this, but I can tell I would be wasting my time.

I'll simply agree to disagree.

U can't change my mind and I won't be able to change yours. Let's just leave it here. :D