The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

Gets on my tits how everyone refers to Cristiano Ronaldo as 'CR7'. Raul's legendary shirt just doesn't look good on him.

Give the lad some respect. What he has been doing in the last couple of years deserves only praises. And number 7 isn't Raul's, he is just a player who wore it also.

Oh and getting ready for you 6000th post as a reply to this :D

Give the lad some respect. What he has been doing in the last couple of years deserves only praises. And number 7 isn't Raul's, he is just a player who wore it also.

Should we give bossingwa Zola's 25 jersey? The number holds some meaning and memories to the fans who expect it's next holder to live up to the standards and earn the right to wear the shirt that means so much to them. Ronaldo will never, in my opinion, be half the player that Raul was when he wore that shirt.

Should we give bossingwa Zola's 25 jersey? The number holds some meaning and memories to the fans who expect it's next holder to live up to the standards and earn the right to wear the shirt that means so much to them. Ronaldo will never, in my opinion, be half the player that Raul was when he wore that shirt.

25 is an iconic number that's not common in a squad. 1-11 is.

It's like what Totti said today.. He doesn't want his #10 to be retired, he wants it to be given to someone who Roma feel deserve it. Real Madrid should give the #7 to Ronaldo! It makes sense for them economically too. Ronaldo's always been a 7 player. So shirt sales soar with that.

If Raul's had worn something unique like 25, then it would be a bit like "well why's Ronaldo inheriting that?", but 7 is a generic number.

It's like what Totti said today.. He doesn't want his #10 to be retired, he wants it to be given to someone who Roma feel deserve it. Real Madrid should give the #7 to Ronaldo! It makes sense for them economically too. Ronaldo's always been a 7 player. So shirt sales soar with that.

If Raul's had worn something unique like 25, then it would be a bit like "well why's Ronaldo inheriting that?", but 7 is a generic number.

Nicely said. It's not like Ronaldo is an average player like Bosingwa is, he is a very special one, currently on top of the world with Messi.He is also one of the most complete footballers ever. But above everything, he is writing history at Madrid.

Fair point. But it still annoys me that that arrogant, disrespectful cunt is compared to someone as professional and legendary as Raul.

Where did I disrespect him?

My point was that after watching the irreplaceable (ability and status wise) Raul don that shirt for the whole of his career, there's a certain aura attached to it. And I disagree about him being just another player wearing it, imo the fact that the Raul wore that shirt makes that number special, not the other way round. Maybe had Ronaldo gotten the shirt after an interval of say 5 or 7 years, it would be less of an eyesore.

My point was that after watching the irreplaceable (ability and status wise) Raul don that shirt for the whole of his career, there's a certain aura attached to it. And I disagree about him being just another player wearing it, imo the fact that the Raul wore that shirt makes that number special, not the other way round. Maybe had Ronaldo gotten the shirt after an interval of say 5 or 7 years, it would be less of an eyesore.

7 was Ronaldo's number while he was at Manchester United and CR7 comes from there. He is so obsessed with it that he has it on the bottom of his pool. He is an amazing footbaler who brought a lot of publicity, success and money to Real and he is their leader. For me, he has deserved to have his favorite number.

Such a leadet hahahahaha. Raul won them many trophies, while cr hasn't.

So that's why he shouldn't get the 7?

I read up on this.. La Liga's rules state teams must present the numbers 1-25 to players. It's makes more than enough sense that their record breaker takes it.

Edited by RZA

So that's why he shouldn't get the 7?

I read up on this.. La Liga's rules state teams must present the numbers 1-25 to players. It's makes more than enough sense that their record breaker takes it.

No, that's not what i said. CR hasn't done anything so far that could challenge Raul's status at Real.

Where did I disrespect him?

True but the same could be said for Nuri Sahin wearing Zizou's number 5 shirt, Benzema wearing Ronaldo's number 9 and Pepe wearing Roberto Carlos' number 3 !!! :cry: . And anyways Ronaldo isn't doing Raul disservice we're talking of a player that broke Telmo Zarra and Hugo Sanchez's goal scoring record and is considered to be in the top 2 players in the world today! At the end of the day we can go on forever with the amount of legends Real had lol

Numbers have lost its' symbolism. They've become just a business like every other part of football and that's the only reason why it's comprehensible that C. Ronaldo wears number 7 at Real Madrid. If numbers wouldn't make such an impact on sales and so on, there would be no way why he would have deserved to wear Raul's legendary jersey number.