Premier League Homegrown rule

feel we are one midfielder short especially now cork and matic are out on loan. wouldnt like to suggest who although im tempted to say arteta

Possibly could do with another midfielder yes, but if he stays (as i think he will now) Mancienne can play in the midfield holding role, as he has done for Wolves.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bumping old thread. Dunno how we are gonna handle this 8 homegrown players. We lack few people. Btw does Sturridge counts as u-21? Because he finishes 21 on September 1st.

1. Petr Cech

2. Henrique Hilario

3. Ross Turnbull (HG)

4. John Terry (HG)

5. Alex

6. Branislav Ivanovic

7. Ashley Cole (HG)

8. Yuri Zhirkov

9. Paulo Ferreira

10. Jose Bosingwa

11. Frank Lampard (HG)

12. Michael Essien

13. John Obi Mikel

14. Ramires

15. Florent Malouda

16. Yossi Benayoun

17. Didier Drogba

18. Nicolas Anelka

19. Salomon Kalou

20. Danny Sturridge (HG)

U21:

1. Jeffrey Bruma

2. Gael Kakuta

3. Patrick van Aanholt

4. Josh McEachran

5. Fabio Borini

Well it most certainly looks like we are making up our 25 by using young players. Very brave move for sure, but one that will give the youngsters involved a lot of confidence. Our squad is very strong and has players capable of covering a number of positions. Our U21 list will really be players like Clifford, Sala, Tore ect... who could be drafted in if there is an emergency or if Carlo feels he wants to give them a game.

Very very bold move if there are to be no more signings... And apart from GK position, there does not seem to be any rumor about any other player as well. But in a way I'm happy about it. We have a lot of versatile players in our squad and this should benefit all of them from getting good game time.

And like Esk says, it gives a lot of confidence to the youngsters as well. I just hope fans remain patient and supportive of the manager if and when things dont go well as we expect !!! Our defense will be hit severely if Boss does not make it and a couple of CBs get injured.

I think John Mikel Obi counts as homegrown but I may be mistaken. He was signed at the age of 18 and by the time his third season with us had finished, he was 21, which qualifies him I think.

Mikel joined in June 2006 and turned 21 in April 2008 while still in his second season with us, therefore he doesn't qualify. If he were borne 3 months later or his transfer had gone through one season earlier as planned he would have turned 21 in his 3rd season and would be eligible to be listed as home-grown.

• 9 months later...

Time to revive this thread again as it will most certainly affect our transfer plans this summer. So here we are as things stand:

1.(HG): John Terry

2.(HG): Ashley Cole

3.(HG): Frank Lampard

4.(HG): Ross Turnbull

5.(HG): Daniel Sturridge

6.(HG): Ryan Bertrand

7.(HG):

8.(HG):

9. Petr Cech

10. Branislav Ivanovic

11. Michael Essien

12. Didier Drogba

13. Mikel

14. Florent Malouda

15. Jose Bosingwa

16. Yuri Zhirkov

17. Paulo Fereira

18. Salomon Kalou

19. Alex

20. Nicolas Anelka

21. Hilario

22. Yossi Benayoun

23. Ramires

24. David Luiz

25. Fernando Torres

U21 Players:

1. Patrick Van Aanholt

2. Gael Kakuta

3. Josh McEachran

What it means with regards to our transfer plans is that we could sign 2 "Homegrown" players without selling anyone. Or if we bring any non homegrown players in someone will have leave to make space. IF we sign Neymar and/or Lukaku then we don't need to make any changes because they would go on the U21 players list. I think it would be safe to assume that we would be letting at least a couple of our players go and would need replacing as we do not want to start the season with a light squad as we did last season..

Time to revive this thread again as it will most certainly affect our transfer plans this summer.

Not sure about that anymore. Renewing Hilario's contract makes even less sense from a HG point of view. I've been confident of only Bosingwa and maybe Didier leaving but if we are planning to sign anyone we may be in for a few surprises.

Not sure about that anymore. Renewing Hilario's contract makes even less sense from a HG point of view. I've been confident of only Bosingwa and maybe Didier leaving but if we are planning to sign anyone we may be in for a few surprises.

I think Hilaro will be the "eyes and ears" of AVB in changing room

Your right, it was a stupid decision as he is useless and a u21 keeper would have been better for 3rd choice keeper. At present am i right in thinking we can't sign anyone over the age of 21 who is not homegrown as we have already filled the quota (17 players)??....

Your right, it was a stupid decision as he is useless and a u21 keeper would have been better for 3rd choice keeper. At present am i right in thinking we can't sign anyone over the age of 21 who is not homegrown as we have already filled the quota (17 players)??....

Yes that is correct, of course we can actually sign them, but once the list is submitted (end August) our squad has to conform to these rules.

Also there is a real possibility that Bertrand and sturridge could go on loan again, which would mean a squad of only 21 unless we sign some more "Homegrown" players.....

At present am i right in thinking we can't sign anyone over the age of 21 who is not homegrown as we have already filled the quota (17 players)??....

We will be able to sign players but then some won't be registered in our Premier League squad. Who knows, we might give Paulo Ferreira a full time job as a translator.

We will be able to sign players but then some won't be registered in our Premier League squad. Who knows, we might give Paulo Ferreira a full time job as a translator.

So had we bought Modric then everyone would have been aware that we would have had to get rid of a player to accomodate him.?? Nice one Mr Gourley, if we buy any players that are not homegrown or over 21 before we get rid of any, we will not recieve market value for the ones we sell.

Good business plan.....

Esk's list makes me more convinced we'll see a few departures this season. The likes of Zhirkov, Ferreira, Kalou & Anelka maybe sold.

Of course we could still proceed to sign more and just not register them (registration can be altered in the Jan transfer-window period by the way). The problem with leaving players unregistered is, we'll have to pay out the enormous wages (this club has the highest by the way) for them to do virtually nothing for 3-4months.