What formation should we play next season?

Shane

We should really have more discussions on this forum rather than posting news, So what formation should we play next season?

4-5-1/4-3-3

Our formation for nearly all of last year, Our strongest team had the suspect back 4, Essien, Lampard, Ballack in midfield with Malouda, Drogba/Anelka and J.Cole up front. Worked well under Hiddink but not so well under Scolari.

4-4-2

The formation that nearly everyone wanted under Scolari, again the suspect back four and with Essien and Lampard in midfield it could work. Joey and Malouda/Zhirkov on the two wings would be lethal, and Drogba and New signing/Anelka/ upfront could work well. Bad points are that quality players like Mikel won't be playing and it will upset the ego if Ballack isn't. Also it could lack creativty.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carlo had said the formation and way we play will be dictated by the players we have. I am sure that it will be some variation of a 4-3-3, the players are used to that style and are very comfortable with it. Being able to switch to a 4-4-2 or something else when needed is the key element though, we need to be able to change to the conditions of the game.

Their should be no set formation -it is dependant on who we are playing, personnel available, injuries, and determined by ebb and flow of the game. That said there should be a tendency to use width more....

Ancelotti comes across as someone who is more than capable of adapting tactics to suit situations. Even though i think the 4-3-3 suits us the most i would also very much like to see us play with 2 proper strikers...

Ancelotti comes across as someone who is more than capable of adapting tactics to suit situations. Even though i think the 4-3-3 suits us the most i would also very much like to see us play with 2 proper strikers...

Hope so -Big Gus and Mourinho could adapt, but this tactic seemed to escape Scoalri and Grant -well Grant wasnt sure of which way we were playing at times,

Hope so -Big Gus and Mourinho could adapt, but this tactic seemed to escape Scoalri and Grant -well Grant wasnt sure of which way we were playing at times,

Lol

Yup thats right, Jose would make exceptionally bold moves to try and win a game and wasn't afraid to do that, more often than not it worked also! Guus did also but to a lesser extent. But with both it was all about the right tactic for the right situation and teams, the Barca games under Jose and Guus are classic examples of this.

From what i understand Ancelotti has that ability also, so we will see.

The displays in America have already convinced Ancelotti that his change in formation, with its use of Frank Lampard at the front of a diamond midfield, is the way to go.

'This is the system we want to keep for all the season. It is a good system for all the players and it gives us the possibility to take control of the play. It works very well with an attacking midfielder between the lines [of opposition midfield and defence] and it worked very well for the right-back and left-back, they pushed forward a lot.'

Damn, a narrow formation. Going to be difficult to watch with a crowded midfield.

I think the beauty of our squad and particularily our midfield is just how versatile they are, our midfielders can play anywhere and in just about any formation. This diamond seems quite strong and formidable, I think Ancelotti will want this deep lying playmaker though if he is stick with it.

GK

RB CB CB LB

DM

RW AM AM LW

S

4-5-1 come 4-3-3

The standard keeper and back four.

A disciplined holding midfielder (Mikel or Essien).

Two central attacking mid fielders ( Lampard, Essien, Ballack, J.Cole or Deco)

Two out and out wingers to supply much needed witdh we havent had much of since the Mourinho days. Left side- Malouda/Zhircov.. Right side J.cole/Aneka/Sinclair

Lone striker (Drogba/Sturridge)

I think this formation best suits our most consistent attackers (Lampard and Drogba).. For Lampard to really flourish I think a 5 man midfield is a must!!

The 4-4-2 with Lampard on the front of the diamond sounds good also but I think de better teams would over run us in midfield with dat so maybe keep the 4-4-2 for when we want to break down the weaker teams in the prem (or need to go all out for a goal) and then de 4-5-1 come 4-3-3 for the bigger games.

Edited by lamps08

So far the 4-4-2 is working really well , granted I think it will end up looking like an over-extended diamond with the wide men pushing further out wide than is traditional in a diamond.

I know you cant really judge on pre season games but we are doing so well , there is movement , there is ahrpness , there is control , our passing is slick and creative. I wouldnt say no to perhaps one more signing to help out at the top of the pitch but I definitely think a 4-4-2 type formation could work , especially if it means seeing less of Ballack.