Juliano Belletti

I think it would be a massive mistake to let Belletti go. I really can't see people's reasoning for wanting to sell the player. Belletti is 32, and seems happy to retire at the Bridge. For that reason, we won't have much to gain from selling him at all. He'd only fetch around £1 million on the transfer market since he isn't a regular. However, that is why I want to keep him.

Belletti is a model professional. He tries his hardest when he gets his chances to play, and scores some very, very important goals for the club. He doesn't moan about not playing every match; he doesn't criticise the club or the manager; he keeps his head down. He is happy being a squad player, and come the Cup of Nations, we will need him. Mikel and Essien are going away on international duty, so who is going to cover? Mancienne? A player who's made a couple of starts for the club; none of them in that position? Belletti is experienced and efficient, and he doesn't take him a massive salary like Ballack or Shevchenko. He's the right sort of player to have at the club, and he's a fans' favourite. He always gets one of the loudest cheers, and people sing his name even when he isn't on the pitch.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My only problem with squad players like Belletti is that it is a place that could be used to blood a youngster. Chances are Belletti will not be starting many games next season and will mainly come off the bench. Why not use his squad place to allow players like Cork or Stoch to get minutes on the pitch and develop in the premier league???

My only problem with squad players like Belletti is that it is a place that could be used to blood a youngster. Chances are Belletti will not be starting many games next season and will mainly come off the bench. Why not use his squad place to allow players like Cork or Stoch to get minutes on the pitch and develop in the premier league???

I see your point, but I then repeat one of my earlier points. During the Cup of Nations, for example, it is highly likely he will play as our holding midfielder. True, we could blood a youngster, but if we came up against the likes of Liverpool and suddenly on the day of the game, either Mikel or Essien pulls out, we have Belletti to fill in. I think his experience can also help the younger players develop as well.