Steve

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

King of Pop Michael Jackson dies at 50

1260.jpg

Pop star Michael Jackson has been rushed to hospital in Los Angeles, with several US reports saying he has died.

Paramedics were called to the singer's home around midday local time after he suffered a suspected cardiac arrest.

He was rushed by ambulance to a medical centre, with reports from several US media outlets saying the 50-year-old star has died.

Michael Jackson had been due to begin a series of comeback concerts in the UK on 13 July.

He has a history of health problems and has not completed a concert tour in 12 years.

US media reports say paramedics were called to the singer's house in Bel Air at midday.

They performed CPR on Jackson and rushed him to the UCLA medical centre.

Crowds have begun to gather outside the facility, whose emergency centre has been roped off by police.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8119951.stm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm totally shocked!! :blink::blink::(

Edited by CJ Revo

MICHAEL Jackson has died after suffering cardiac arrest.

Jackson's brother Jermaine fought back tears outside UCLA hospital in Los Angeles as he formally announced the death, which had been confirmed earlier by the Los Angeles coroner.

"My brother the legendary King of Pop has passed away. The family requests that the media please respect our privacy in this tough time. Our thoughts will be with you always. Love you," he said.

Crowds of fans have gathered outside the hospital. Others have gathered outside his home. Passersby stopped in the street in New York's Times Square when news of the singer's death appeared.

An image has been published of Jackson receiving treatment from ambulance officers who were frantically trying to revive him. It was apparently taken by one of the paparazzi who had been a constant presence in Jackson's life for decades.

US TV networks later broadcast live footage of Jackson's body being flown by helicopter from the UCLA hospital to the LA morgue.

Jackson is survived by three children: Michael Joseph Jackson, Jr., Paris Michael Katherine Jackson and Prince "Blanket" Michael Jackson II.

Shock death

Jermaine Jackson said medical staff tried to revive Jackson for an hour after first arriving at his rented home about 1pm local time (about 6am AEST). He died two hours later.

TMZ were told: "When paramedics arrived, Jackson had no pulse and they never got a pulse back." The Los Angeles Times reported Jackson was in a coma when he arrived at the hospital.

Reports from Los Angeles have said some of Jackson's family were with him. TMZ reported his sister La Toya ran into the hospital sobbing, but was too late - her brother had already been pronounced dead.

There was "chaos" in the hospital when Jackson was brought in, TMZ reported a source as saying. It said one of the people accompanying Jackson screamed "You've got to save him! You've got to save him!" as the singer was rushed to emergency.

Motown legend Quincy Jones, who produced Jackson's seminal album Thriller, said: "For Michael to be taken away from us so suddenly at such a young age, I just don't have the words.

"He was the consummate entertainer and his contributions and legacy will be felt upon the world forever. I've lost my little brother today, and part of my soul has gone with him."

Madonna, perhaps the only artist who could rival Jackson's fame and influence in the 1980s, said: "I can't stop crying over the sad news. I have always admired Michael Jackson. The world has lost one of the greats, but his music will live on forever!

"My heart goes out to his three children and other members of his family. God bless."

Some of the first reaction from others in the entertainment industry came via Twitter, where gossip blogger Perez Hilton and celebrities including Pete Wentz engaged a public spat over how best to remember Jackson.

Comeback

Jackson was reportedly planning a comeback and was living in LA while rehearsing a series of 50 sold-out shows in London.

However those concerts - billed as the "final curtain" - had been thrown into doubt after Jackson pushed back the opening dates last month. Organisers of the concerts had stressed the delay was not linked to Jackson's health.

"Like the whole world I'm absolutely devastated and lost for words," Jackson's friend Uri Geller told Sky News in the UK. "He was in good health - he was rehearsing and dancing. I'm shocked."

It has been reported Jackson was taking prescription drugs as he prepared for the tour.

Influence

Jackson was known as the King of Pop for his dominance and reshaping of the music industry in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, first as a member of the Jackson Five and later as a solo artist. He won 13 Grammys.

Thriller remains one of the biggest selling of all time and went platinum 14 times over here in Australia. The music video for the title track was a worldwide sensation and his "moonwalk" dance and distinctive fashion became landmarks for a generation.

News.com.au

________________________________________________________________________________

I am truly devastated, I loved his music growing up, He wasnt the most popular person over the last few years but god he was a great musical talent.

RIP

Edited by Jessman

Unbelieveable. Was watching it all unfolding on the news last night and just couldn't believe it. Michael Jackson was a big part of my life particulary through the late 90's. What he achieved in music and music video's will never be touched....

Im so shattered. He was my child hood idol. I used to listen to his music all the time and i remember when i first seen him in concert when i was around 8 years old. Bad Times... :(

Even if you are not a fan of Michael Jackson's music, no-one can take away the fact that the man has made an indelible impression on the world. Jackson is the sort of artist that appeals to millions of people worldwide because of his individuality - his music has no definite sound; no definite genre. His unique character and personality made him a wonderful human being, and someone that will forever live in through his music and in our hearts. The man is a true legend.

May he find peace.