City clinch Barry signing

Steve

Manchester City have completed the signing of Gareth Barry from Aston Villa in a £12million deal.

Barry has penned a five-year contract at Eastlands after agreeing personal terms and passing a medical.

The England international's future at Villa has been the subject of speculation for some time, with Liverpool failing to sign him last summer in a much-publicised tug-of-war with Villa.

Barry's contract at Villa was due to expire next summer and although Villa offered him a new deal, he has opted to make the move to ambitious City.

The 28-year-old becomes City's first signing of the summer and his arrival is a major boost for City boss Mark Hughes as he looks to build a side capable of breaking into the top four.

Barry was delighted to make the move to City and he believes there is a lot of potential at the club.

"I'm delighted to be joining City. It didn't take much persuasion from Mark Hughes, they are heading in the direction I want to go," Barry told the club's official website.

"There is great potential here, and I'm sure there will be a few more additions to the squad this summer."

Praise

Hughes is equally excited at the prospect of working with Barry next season."Gareth is widely acknowledged as one of the top midfielders in the Premier League, and that is a recommendation in itself," noted Hughes. "When players of his quality become available then you have to be in the market for them, so we are absolutely delighted that we have been able to conclude this deal.

"The experience required to compete with the best in the Premier League is vital, and with Gareth we get the experience of someone who has played week-in, week-out in the hardest league in the world.

"He plays at a level that has an impact on the game, and we are thrilled that he is joining us."

Source: Sky

Interesting. City have already started with a decent signing.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange move from Barry's point of view. You have to think that they are offering him a pretty large chunk in wages. It is highly unlikely that Man City will have attained Champions League football by the end of the season. Even if they do bring in a lot of decent players it is going to be too soon for them to challenge the top 4 i think.

They're not even in Europe this year and yeh even with the players they still need to gel etc so yeh cant see a top 4 finish.5th maybe

Can honestly see City going crazy and become a situation where the owner is picking the players and Hughs is just slightly wtf by it all

I don't understand Barry.He wants play in Champions League,right?What the fuck he move to City?He really hope,that Man City can end season in top 4 place?I think Aston Villa has more chances on it in next season.

Edited by Gleb

City will be better next season but they are still several years off from competing with the Big 4 on a yearly basis

They have talent (more than some think) but they still have several pieces which IMO are over-rated

Who knows, if they sign some good players like we did, and they bond quickly they could be a force next season. I guess we will never know until next season when all the transfers are completed.

I am actually excited to see how they do and see if there will be another challenge to the "big four" hopefully there will be a big five and make the premiership even more exciting

I am actually excited to see how they do and see if there will be another challenge to the "big four" hopefully there will be a big five and make the premiership even more exciting

now thats just wrong, be careful what you wish for <_<

people on here forgetting that we finished 3rd this season, which is why a kaka/ribery/aguero/benzema are so necessary.

I don't know if I would use the word "excited" but interested is more like it

Their talent is upgrading but I am not sure their actual team on the whole is that much better

We finished third cause of Scolari's shit management!

It would make it more exciting and give the other teams not just ourselves that extra challenge

man utd are enough of a challenge.. well alex ferguson anyways -_-

and tbh i dont care about other teams so i wont pass judgement on that, and yes scolari was a mess but that wont change the players mentality.. hopefully ancelotti can make them believe they can win it this season.