Uefa won't punish ref Ovrebo claims Poll

Graham Poll is confident Uefa will take no action against referee Tom Ovrebo following Chelsea’s Champions League exit, and he disagreed with John Terry's claims that the official never had the required experience to control such a big game.

The Norwegian referee was called upon to make a clutch of huge decisions at Stamford Bridge, turning down at least four penalty appeals as well as sending off Eric Abidal as Barcelona advanced via the away goal.

Speaking to Setanta Sports News, Poll accepted that Ovrebo’s performance had been below-par, and he also understood question marks over the referee’s experience when it comes to big games.

However, former Premier League official Poll pointed out that some of the game’s best refs have come from the smaller footballing nations, and he feels sure Uefa will not take action against Ovrebo.

“This was arguably the biggest game of the season to date, and it had the least experienced ref appointed to it,” Poll said on Setanta.

“However, Anders Frisk was a fantastic referee and he was from Scandinavia, Lubos Michel was from Slovakia – he never had masses of experience with big games.

“Frisk actually used to wonder how I coped doing big game after big game. He actually felt it was better to be like Ovrebo – having a couple of small games to get ready for the big one.

“Uefa will be disappointed at some of the decision making, they will be disappointed with the overall performance, however they will also take into account the immense pressure he was put under by the players – and they will look into the reaction of the players.”

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Poll was on BBC, Radio 5 , Setanta giving his 'views' this morning. Probably be on The One Show tonight.

We always said when he used to brown nose up to Henry, Ferguson etc that he craved the 'Celeb' status.

''I'm a Big Cunt Get Me Out of Here''

Poll is probably Ovrebo's idol. Would explain a lot.

No wonders referees don't like us looking at your avatar - there is an old saying in Italy what comes around goes around - that Boswinga kick gave us bad karma - all the silly diving from Didier never helps. I am gutted and the more I think of last night I want to get a taxi for Didier , he let us down last year in the finals against united and he refused to play undre big Philip. time for him to go - we need professionals - I agree with the person who said sihn Iniesta - barca will never sell Messi only if we spend another 500m but not on one player! Iniesta is the next best thing lets get him and make an offer that they can't refuse, we have the monies. and then sign Giovinco at Juve ..he's great . Chelsea were best with Italians - Vialli, Casiriaghi, Zola and Cascarino. More Italians less diving fools please Roman.

"Uefa will be disappointed at some of the decision making, they will be disappointed with the overall performance,

Even he's saying the ref got it wrong really in a way..then goes on to talk more crap but still hmmm

The annoying thing is,cause of this hardly anything been said about the match!Like said he's another Poll where it seems he has to be the focus

Edited by Laylabelle