Chelsea 5-0 Barrow

ZAPHOD2319

5 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Performance and result was basically what should be expected against a league two side. But take a step back and just look at what is hands down our 2nd string lineup with a couple of C listers in there as well. The squad we have is absolutely insane. Yes we spend about 600m too much and still need a proper CB, a wc gk and possibly a DM and RB backup if injuries continue like this but still... without even tapping into like 12 of our regulars we are able to field that quarter billion pounds offense vs fkin Barrow.

More importantly, they appear to be happy to do the job. In that infamous interview KDB said he had already mentally packed his bags when Mourinho played him vs Swindon. Now we have the 2nd most expensive teenage signing in football history casually chip-assisting a prime Bundesliga allstar vs a 4th tier side and actually enjoying it. Credit has to go to Maresca for managing such a big squad full of expensive signings and making them look like something resembling a proper team in a few short weeks.

Yes, depth of the squad is night and day from last season.

I'm still quite surprised that folks don't realize how thin the squad was last season and how much different it is today. You could see that very clearly in cup games last season.

Now, I'm not sure we will get the same favorable conditions in the final rounds once again like we did against pool and city, but I'd be expecting a win if we do.

14 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

Yes, depth of the squad is night and day from last season.

I'm still quite surprised that folks don't realize how thin the squad was last season and how much different it is today. You could see that very clearly in cup games last season.

Now, I'm not sure we will get the same favorable conditions in the final rounds once again like we did against pool and city, but I'd be expecting a win if we do.

Last season we always had like 10+ injuries. This is the main reason.  

Ok in attack it's true. Sancho, Neto and Felix in Sterling out. Huge upgrade in numbers but also in quality. Apart from that same numbers and probably even less quality. 

Petrovic-Jorgensen 

Silva-Tosin 

Veiga- well here we sold Maatsen and Hall and also Chilwell is completely dropped. 

Gallagher-KDH 

6 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Last season we always had like 10+ injuries. This is the main reason.  

Ok in attack it's true. Sancho, Neto and Felix in Sterling out. Huge upgrade in numbers but also in quality. Apart from that same numbers and probably even less quality. 

Petrovic-Jorgensen 

Silva-Tosin 

Veiga- well here we sold Maatsen and Hall and also Chilwell is completely dropped. 

Gallagher-KDH 

Yes, I'm aware and I was one of the few people going on and on about the lack of *quality* of our wingers last season.

There is a reason the most expensive players on earth are attacking players.
There is a reason you will find a lot of these "most expensive players on earth" in the attack of top 4 PL sides.

Also, a quick point about injuries: there is injuries which happen, and some issue which is not reported by the club for a reason. Not even going to mention Lavia, but take Carney for a second here: it seems to me that the club may think he lacks in some physical aspect which perhaps makes him vulnerable to injuries. 

Edited by robsblubot

10 hours ago, The Rising Sun said:

Also KDH worst buy since Torres.

Honestly, it embarrasses me the knee-jerk reaction from so called 'supporters' sometimes. We have bought a player who is into his second month at a new team who does not get in our best 11 and already the jury is out. Even when we played Servette, some people were saying Tosin was trash etc now when Tosin has taken his chance and given more time, people suddenly change their views. Give him time ffs. Like I said, he is adapting to new surroundings ina much better team and he has not even been here long or been given a run in the team. Give him a chance to get adapted to the team and players before judging him.

11 minutes ago, Stats said:

Honestly, it embarrasses me the knee-jerk reaction from so called 'supporters' sometimes. We have bought a player who is into his second month at a new team who does not get in our best 11 and already the jury is out. Even when we played Servette, some people were saying Tosin was trash etc now when Tosin has taken his chance and given more time, people suddenly change their views. Give him time ffs. Like I said, he is adapting to new surroundings ina much better team and he has not even been here long or been given a run in the team. Give him a chance to get adapted to the team and players before judging him.

But tbh it's very weird buy. I don't see a place for him. He's not gonna displace any of our attackers and cannot see him playing in pivot either. Ok Barrow,  some Conference games but in PL we won't see him. Should have just kept Santos. 

I wasn't sure about playing Conference League but now looking at our depth and the way our second unit plays I'm very glad we are in it. Especially attacking players. Sancho, Mudryk, Neto, Madueke, Palmer, Felix, Nkunku and Jackson. 8 players all doing good. It's very nice we can just start 4 of them in PL and 4 others midweek. They all deserve to play and without European football it would be impossible. And I expect us to go all the way which is 15 full games in total in Europe. Hopefully some good runs in domestic Cups as well. So plenty of minutes for all. 

2 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

But tbh it's very weird buy. I don't see a place for him. He's not gonna displace any of our attackers and cannot see him playing in pivot either. Ok Barrow,  some Conference games but in PL we won't see him. Should have just kept Santos. 

He played under Maresca and is suited to his style of football. He was never going to a permanent start but good depth and rotation. He has come in some of our league games. If we get injuries like we did last season, he will get games and will get game time regardless because we are competing for a lot of trophies. For eg he most likely would have started against Bournemouth had he not been ill which was unfortunate timing. Let's see how things plan out before writing off the player and move.

20 minutes ago, DH1988 said:

How was Chilly?

Quiet

The game went as expected for me, but the biggest and most pleasing aspect was the link play from the front three, Nkunku scoring ho for me is the main man and the best finisher we have and the players smiling. 

I'm not discounting Jacskon at all he's doing well but Nkunku should be on the field and playing and right now he's hitting the net and confident.

Casadei isn't ready, gave the ball away numerous times and looks clumbsy as fuck. 

Good win, more confidence and more goals

I just had the chance to watch the game..

Badiashile looked shaky and uncertain, which is crazy.. He seemed solid when we signed him, he has completely lost the plot since. Hope he will not make clown of us in the ECL.

Veiga was quite good.

Casadei did some nice things but sometimes he does things what grown footballer shouldn't do.. Could have got a yellow in the 3rd minute and lost some ball which could have been punished against tougher opponent. He certainly didn't show Today why he should play more.

Dewsbury-Hall did not get us any closer why we signed him and what is he supposed to bring to the team. Weak game overall.

Neto and Felix were good, but I expected them to try a bit harder, especially Joao, who's got very little playing time recently.

Muddy is Muddy.. Did some nice things and got a beautiful assist, but the two Portuguese and Nkunku outperformed him. After this game he still should be the last attacker in the packing order.

Nkunku was very impressive. 3 goals always are, but I loved how he didn't act as "too big to care". In the 75th minute, at 4-0, he still attacked the opponent's goalkeeper like in a sharp game, that's what you want to see. 8 games 6 goals, no injuries so far, going well.