Anelka predicts all three English sides to go through.

Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka believes his team will beat Juventus in their Champions League last-16 clash - and that Manchester United and Arsenal will have similar success against Italian opposition.

United face Inter Milan, while Arsenal take on Roma and Anelka is confident it will be the English sides who reach the quarter-finals rather than their Serie A counterparts.

However, the France forward is well aware that Chelsea will have to contain the threat of his former international team-mate David Trezeguet who is back playing after a lengthy injury lay-off.

"It's really bad news for us," Anelka told Gazzetta dello Sport. "I admire David, a goalscorer like few others, he was born to score. If you give him half a chance in the area he will take it.

"It's going to be a very tough match, Juve are a really top team. Against Italian sides it's always hard, tactically they're the best in Europe.

"If Chelsea don't find their feet, don't score a goal, we will be risking a lot. We have to score in the first leg, and especially not concede, so we can play for it all in Turin.

"Juve are right up there with Inter. (Alessandro) Del Piero is an inexhaustible talent. (Pavel) Nedved, (Gianluigi) Buffon...all of them.

"To beat this Juve, Chelsea have to put the maximum effort in."

He added: "If I had to bet though I think it will end 3-0 to the English sides. Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal will all progress.

"Just look at history. But anything can happen."

Anelka currently heads the Premier League goalscoring charts with 14 - needing three more to match his season's best at Manchester City and Arsenal.

However, Chelsea have shown signs of faltering in the league and the recent 3-0 loss to Manchester United saw them slip to third spot.

Anelka knows the team cannot afford any more mistakes.

"We're two points off United and Liverpool, the race is very open," he said. "But it is a very hard race.

"Up until now we've had bad games against United, Liverpool and Arsenal. It's obvious that we can't continue dropping points against our direct rivals, otherwise we can say goodbye to the title.

"On February 1 at Anfield we have to absolutely beat Liverpool."

Recent reports have hinted that Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari's job could be on the line, but Anelka insists the former Portugal coach is the right man for the job.

"He's Brazilian: he wants good football, attacking football, which is ideal for me." added the 29-year-old. "But he has only just arrived in England. He's still learning, English football is not like that of Brazil or Portugal."

espnsoccernet.

not sure if i shouldve posted this here or not.

Edited by SempreJuve

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I duno they have been winning 1-0 though havent conceded a goal in 10 prem games so hmmm.

Hope scum go out!

i think it will be very interesting to see. as much as dont like man you i hope they beat inter. roma vs arsenal will be interesting and i could see roma winning although there form hasnt been the best. Chelsea vs juve though is wide open in my opinion.

i think it will be very interesting to see. as much as dont like man you i hope they beat inter. roma vs arsenal will be interesting and i could see roma winning although there form hasnt been the best. Chelsea vs juve though is wide open in my opinion.

True. Wide Open.

Italians are tactical side. Chelsea isnt very Tactical. We are leaking goals like crazy. If Juve get a goal at the Bridge. It would be extremenly difficult to break them away.

Regarding Inter vs Man Utd. Im for Inter, without an iota of doubt. Mourinho always has had the better of Fergie and so will it be in future as well. The game will be extremely boring though cus it will be very tactical, with neither side willing to attack attack attack.

Personally i would like to see inter beat united, for the main reason that i think they are our biggest threat in this competition and i believe if we get past juve we can go the whole way. But i am also very wary about barcelona who are currently in great form and could potentially win both leagues.

I've got a long standing hatred of Inter, so on this occasion I'd rather see United go through and think they'll probably manage it comfortably. Obviously I hope Arsenal get spanked but I can't see it somehow. Real v Dippers is a toughie given my passionate hatred of both although I'm gonna go for a marginal Real win.

As for us, I've just got a feeling it'll be a case of 'Ranieri's Revenge'.