Joe Cole going nowhere

Premiershiplatest

Scolari On Chelsea Star’s Future Amidst Growing Spurs Link

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has sought to end the speculation on Joe Cole’s long-term future as reports claimed that Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp could reunite with his former West Ham winger.

England international Cole is apparently unhappy at Stamford Bridge, with the attacking midfielder continually substituted by Brazilian tactician Scolari, who took over the reigns from Avram Grant in the close season.

According to recent reports, Cole wanted talks with the Blues boss and suggestions were rife that the 27-year-old could be ready to end his five-years at the west London club, with his present deal at the Premiership powerhouse coming to an end in 18 months.

However, Scolari has dismissed the possibility of Cole exiting this month and stressed that he remains an important player for Chelsea.

Scolari said: "Yes, he will (remain at the club). He is a fantastic player and important for the club and for me. He scores many goals and his future is here."

Spurs meanwhile look set to fail in their long drawn out pursuit of Stewart Downing from Middlesbrough and as such, former Hammers and Portsmouth boss Redknapp is strongly linked with a move for Joe Cole.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Cole Refutes Chelsea Exit Speculation

The Chelsea midfielder slams rift talk.

36768_news.jpg

Chelsea's Joe Cole has played down speculation suggesting a rift has developed between manager Luiz Felipe Scolari and himself, insisting that he wants to stay at Stamford Bridge for the rest of his career.

Tottenham Hotspur were reportedly set to swoop for the England international as contract talks stalled, suggestions that were given credence by Cole's reaction to being substituted during the side's FA Cup draw with Southend.

However, the 27-year old has moved to set the record straight, explaining that he "would walk through walls" for the World Cup-winning coach.

Speaking to the Daily Mirror he said: "I'm at a loss as to where people get this rubbish from.

"Personally, I think the manager is great and I don't have a problem with him whatsoever.

"In fact I would go as far as to say I would walk through walls for him. He's very receptive, approachable and a very fair person.

"Naturally people get frustrated when they don't play or get substituted but there would be something wrong if they didn't. It just shows you care and I have always been passionate about my football, that's the way I am.

"But to say I have a problem with him couldn't be further from the truth. It's the same for the rest of the players as well. You read this and that but there is tremendous respect for the manager and everyone is right behind him."

There are 18 months remaining on Cole's existing deal in West London, and the skilful schemer believes there is no rush to agree a new contract, despite suggested interest from Spurs and Manchester City.

No Rush

"I have said in the past that I would be happy to stay here for the rest of my career and that hasn't changed," Cole added.

"I still have 18 months left on my contract so what is the rush? I'm sure when the club are good and ready they will talk to me but I'm not unduly worried."

Goal